Joe Rocket questions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Joe Rocket questions

I'm looking at getting the Joe Rocket UFO, tried it on and seems to be a decent jacket for the money (protection and all) anybody else have an idea about it? Also i see a lot of these jackets that have a pocket for an MP3 player, is that going to get me in trouble or is that specifically for the track?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919newbie View Post
I'm looking at getting the Joe Rocket UFO, tried it on and seems to be a decent jacket for the money (protection and all) anybody else have an idea about it? Also i see a lot of these jackets that have a pocket for an MP3 player, is that going to get me in trouble or is that specifically for the track?
Can you expand on the MP3 pocket question? How would a pocket get you in trouble?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #3 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 03:10 PM
put your ad here

i have the Phoenix 4.o. very similar (read same) jacket. my favorite in the world of mesh. the ufo's price point is higher than the phoenix. those patches are worth like 90 bucks easy. (read sarcasm)

Most problems in life can be fixed... Stupid isn't one of em'.

post #4 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I have the JR Meteor and like it a lot. The UFO looks great and gets really good reviews. It's not the mp3 players that can get you in trouble. It's the earbuds. In NY anyways, they are illegal. Headsets are OK but anything that sits in your ear canal is a no no.

post #5 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I've been looking at the Tourmaster Intake. It has a waterproof liner and a fleece liner and lots of pockets. About $125 at Ironpony.com

Madmotor
'06 919

post #6 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 04:55 PM
put your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmotor View Post
I've been looking at the Tourmaster Intake. It has a waterproof liner and a fleece liner and lots of pockets. About $125 at Ironpony.com

Madmotor
'06 919
in addition to the "waterproof" liner that came w/ the jacket i purchased jr's fleece lined waterproof liner for the fall. also a little more comfortable on bare skin. most will tell you to be comfortable you need to wear a long sleeve w/ the basic nylon liner.

Most problems in life can be fixed... Stupid isn't one of em'.
post #7 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yea i'm not sure what the laws are here in michigan about having earbuds but i know that other states have a law that says you can't, anyone from michigan know of any such law?

post #8 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Two months ago I would have been the guy saying that the JR jackets were a great deal for the money. I'm not sure I agree anymore. Another thread about these jackets was started a while ago, and I was of the mind that the mesh jackets were good jackets that would protect you well in a crash. Now I think I know a little better.

Are textile mesh jackets better than nothing? Yes, and anyone that wrecks in a t-shirt would agree with me. Are they better than leather? Not in a million years. After much debate in that thread, some of the more knowledgeable members of the site gave me some suggestions for particular brands and jackets to look into that were made of perforated leather for breathability and armor that was fixed, not floating, and made to a standard that allowed a rider a better chanceof survival in a wreck. I have done quite a bit of research since then, and have found numerous leather jackets that have great breathability and fixed armor in the right places to protect you in the event of a crash.

The best part about most of the jackets I looked at: they are all comparable in price to the mesh jackets that JR makes. If you want a good jacket, and have the time to do a little research, dump textiles and buy leather.

Okay, I'm putting my soapbox away now...

-Joe
post #9 of 31 Old 09-09-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

So hooker what are some of these jackets your talking about?

post #10 of 31 Old 09-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I'm not a fan of mesh jackets either, hooker. Seems like they are much are more popular down in your neck of the woods than up here.

As for textile versus leather, well part of it has to do with the ride you are going on. If I'm going to the store and not going more than 35 MPH, a textile will suit me fine. Textiles with at least 620 denier are good up to 1200 duty cycles (abrasion cycles on pavement until fabric fails). But if I'm going for a long ride where I'll be doing high(er) speeds, then it's leather all the way. The key for both is to get stuff that is comfortable. Nothing will protect you if it's hanging in the closet. Buy as much as you can afford. And then ATGATT.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf saveyourhide.pdf (26.6 KB, 43 views)

post #11 of 31 Old 09-09-2006, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Does anyone have any suggestions for specific jackets that would be good for a newbie like me?

post #12 of 31 Old 09-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

What color is your bike and how old are you?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #13 of 31 Old 09-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

This is an awesome deal! Highly protective, cheap, and looks really good, comes in some cool colors. Spidi is top notch.
Link This same jacket sells elsewhere for much more Link

Another nice one. Looks good and it's Dainese so you know it's built right.
Link

I think this jacket looks rad, I don't know how well they are made though. On sale. Extremely cheap.Link

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #14 of 31 Old 09-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919newbie View Post
So hooker what are some of these jackets your talking about?

Gericke Urban Warrior is one that was recommended to me, but there are others. Look through websites, and try the jacket on at a local store to see if the fit is right and the quality good. As soon as I can find the right size, I will be ordering one of the above. They originally sold for more than 400 dollars, but I have found a couple of places selling for about $130. eBay stores are great!!

-Joe
post #15 of 31 Old 09-10-2006, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
What color is your bike and how old are you?
i'm 19 and my bike is silver

post #16 of 31 Old 09-29-2006, 07:12 AM

Often Joe Rocket jackets can be obtained on eBay for one-sixth the going rate of retail shops. Typically, these will be last season's model. Picked up a $300 summer jacket for $65 including shipping. It is a fine value (even for $300) in every way. With 8,000 quick miles on it, it has never failed to perform admirably, (unlike a recent US$650 Vanson jacket). Joe Rocket makes fine gear.

Clinton (58, 2006 Honda 919 and lovin' it) (well, not the 58 part...)

post #17 of 31 Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
No offense, but I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there. I used to have a JR summer jacket and my complaints about it are numerous. Armor didn't stay in place, it was uncomfortable, zippers worked poorly, etc. The JR GPX gloves I still have are similarly bad. Gloves to be replaced by Veloce (maybe...) and the jacket was replaced by a Fieldsheer some time ago.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #18 of 31 Old 09-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Mc 9er

Bock,what do you mean maybe,please have some faith.WIIMMM

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #19 of 31 Old 09-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Unbannable

I've had my JR mesh jacket since 2002 and it's still holding up great. No problems yet. It's a great alternative on hot days, which are few in Michigan.

I have a JR something-or-other for the bulk of my riding. The only thing I don't like about it is that the zippers on the pockets will sometimes get some of the fabric in there making it hard to zip. I just have to be careful when zipping those. The rest of it is great.

post #20 of 31 Old 09-29-2006, 12:07 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919 View Post
No offense, but I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there. I used to have a JR summer jacket and my complaints about it are numerous. Armor didn't stay in place, it was uncomfortable, zippers worked poorly, etc. The JR GPX gloves I still have are similarly bad. Gloves to be replaced by Veloce (maybe...) and the jacket was replaced by a Fieldsheer some time ago.
Not a maybe, it will be replaced. Sorry for the delays - your patience is immensely appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald919 View Post
Bock,what do you mean maybe,please have some faith.WIIMMM
I can understand and appreciate how long this has taken Mc. I am pulling my hairs out already as well.

post #21 of 31 Old 09-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Mc 9er

no hurry here wim,whenever your ready is fine by me,when your comfortable with the finished product,then i know we all will be,take your time and do it to your own satisfaction.......now the tee shirts on the other hand,,,JETTTT

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #22 of 31 Old 09-29-2006, 12:36 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Just a little insight on Joe Rocket... back in 2002 (if I remember correctly) JR was still a very small Company and they were still making their product in house (read: in Canada) so the production and quality control was much better. When they decided to expand, they went the way others have and went to China or Taiwan and the quality suffered, hence, the problems with a lot of their product.

Being said that, they know this and they are probably willing to exchange the product, no questions asked, if the fault lies with them. This is also true with a lot of the Manufacturers that work out of China & Taiwan.

post #23 of 31 Old 09-29-2006, 12:50 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
Just a little insight on Joe Rocket... back in 2002 (if I remember correctly) JR was still a very small Company and they were still making their product in house (read: in Canada) so the production and quality control was much better. When they decided to expand, they went the way others have and went to China or Taiwan and the quality suffered, hence, the problems with a lot of their product.

Being said that, they know this and they are probably willing to exchange the product, no questions asked, if the fault lies with them. This is also true with a lot of the Manufacturers that work out of China & Taiwan.
Well RC, you are right about manufacturing. It is now done in places like Taiwan, Phillipines, China, Pakistan, and Brazil. However, this is true of companies like Dainese, Alpinestar, and some other really top brand names. I will tell you this - at this age and time - worksmanship in a lot of this places is top notch, just by sheer repitition of work. Remember, it is not just suits - you have helmets and other such gear made in these places.

What becomes an issue is how much a manufacturer wants to spend (cost) on suits. You have about ten different grades of leather you can use. You can go from Cheap milled leather to premium milled leather and up to Naked Leather (Drum Dyed / Premium Leather). Then, you also have a choice on how you cut your suits, how leather might be wasted, and also the choice of thread. Then you get into how you stitch the suit and how you place the the armour. It is cheaper to insert the armour in loose pockets in the liner than it is to stitch it in place. Go look at a Dainese or Alpinestar vs. a JR, that is why Bock was saying the armour moved all over the place.

So... considering that Alpinestars make their suits in Asia, China, etc. They are still able to maintain quality by dint of design, craftsmen they choose and also final quality checks - anything less is really on the manufacturer.

WIM.

post #24 of 31 Old 09-29-2006, 01:29 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Sure, it is all about Quality Control... using Honda as an example, they have (or had) a plant in Mexico where they use to import the scooters that were sold in the US (Elite 50 & 80's), all of a sudden, they stopped importing them (this was back in 87 or 88) because Mexico was not using Honda's standards and the Mexican Honda Plant had to sell them to other Countries except the US.

So, if we base the same stds for others like Dainese, Spidi, Veloce ( ), etc, etc... then, the fact that they make their Stuff in those Countries doesn't make them bad products.

post #25 of 31 Old 09-29-2006, 02:46 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
Sure, it is all about Quality Control... using Honda as an example, they have (or had) a plant in Mexico where they use to import the scooters that were sold in the US (Elite 50 & 80's), all of a sudden, they stopped importing them (this was back in 87 or 88) because Mexico was not using Honda's standards and the Mexican Honda Plant had to sell them to other Countries except the US.

So, if we base the same stds for others like Dainese, Spidi, Veloce ( ), etc, etc... then, the fact that they make their Stuff in those Countries doesn't make them bad products.
Pretty much - yes. In the past, you could say that making things off shore bore risks and that quality was one of the things that suffered. However, these days - you can manage that risk by a tight quality control process.

You specify what you want - materials, patterns, tolerances, etc.
You inspect each item till you feel you have reached an acceptable level.
Then you maintain your checks to maintain the level you achieve.

It's like you suggest - look at BMW, they make cars in NC. Would a German then assume that the X5 that was made here is inferior in Quality than the one made in Bavaria? Even considering it was the same components and parts? It shouldn't be inferior if there is a quality check in place and if the design was sound to begin with.

As I always mentiond (bored ranting here), the consumer has to pay to play with quality toys.

post #26 of 31 Old 09-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
Not a maybe, it will be replaced. Sorry for the delays - your patience is immensely appreciated.
Just seeing if you were paying attention, WIM.

I gotta give ya crap or you wouldn't feel at home here.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #27 of 31 Old 10-02-2006, 09:06 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919 View Post
Just seeing if you were paying attention, WIM.

I gotta give ya crap or you wouldn't feel at home here.
If you were Sporty, I would say bite me! But you are not!... sooo.....

post #28 of 31 Old 10-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Living the dream

I used to work for a company with plants all over the world. Theory was any product should meet the same company stabdards no matter the location. It is all in your QC Standards, Production/Assembly Standards and holding desired tolerances plus inspection.

post #29 of 31 Old 10-03-2006, 09:00 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLR_Nate View Post
I used to work for a company with plants all over the world. Theory was any product should meet the same company stabdards no matter the location. It is all in your QC Standards, Production/Assembly Standards and holding desired tolerances plus inspection.
See... even the experts agree.

post #30 of 31 Old 10-03-2006, 10:38 AM

I have a Cortech (Tourmaster) GX Air jacket I am very happy with, expecially in the summer heat. Ordered the Cortech Intake jacket for wife. Both jackets have removable waterproof liner, and inner lining for more cold weather riding. Don't know how cold will be too cold with these jackets.

GX Air has leather on sholders, elbows and on the back, with removable CE approved armour

post #31 of 31 Old 02-22-2007, 09:11 PM

No experience with a mesh JR jacket, but in Canada we don't have any days that necessitate one. I do have a JR meteor jacket and it is amazing, great quality, fit, versatility and protection. I've been looking at JR stuff for the longest time, and I'd swear by their quality.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode