Joe Rocket Phoenix - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 05-27-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Joe Rocket Phoenix

I know it is a little late to ask now, but do any of you guys own the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket? I ordered one last night, because it was too good of a deal to pass up.....on closeout for $109. A lot of hot weather in eastern NC, so I figured it would be a good balance of protection and breathability.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-27-2006, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Forgot to mention this is the newer Phoenix. The 4.0

post #3 of 27 Old 05-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Nice jackets, alittle steep at $109 though. I see 'last years model' jackets for $80 all the time.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #4 of 27 Old 05-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I'm not sure where you ordered it from but here is a few places to check for gear in the future. www.ridegear.com , www.newenough.com , www.kneedraggers.com , www.motorcyclesuperstore.com

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #5 of 27 Old 06-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Living the dream

I have one and they are breatheable. Haven't tested and don't really want to on the protection.

post #6 of 27 Old 06-03-2006, 08:35 AM
xmatt2strokex

I have one, it's one of the nicest non-leather jackets I've ever had. I can see now that I paid a *bit* more than I needed to for it ($150.00...DOH!), but it IS extremely nice.

m.

post #7 of 27 Old 06-03-2006, 08:37 AM
xmatt2strokex

Oh...I will say this however...the arm straps...don't work so great. They don't seem to like staying buttoned. Not sure what a fix for that is, but it does kind of piss me off sometimes.

m.

post #8 of 27 Old 06-03-2006, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmatt2strokex
I have one, it's one of the nicest non-leather jackets I've ever had. I can see now that I paid a *bit* more than I needed to for it ($150.00...DOH!), but it IS extremely nice.

m.

Yeah, I got mine yesterday and I was REALLY impressed at the quality of the jacket for the price. I haven't had an opportunity go riding in it yet. I put it on for a few minutes with the liner in it. It made me so hot I had to shed the jacket really quick. Took the liner out, and it seems that it will be nice and cool even for hot weather riding. The liner should keep me warm in fairly cool temperatures and also keep me dry in the rain. I also bought a pair of Joe Rocket gloves at the same time. They were $40 gloves on closeout for $9. I am really impressed with those also.

post #9 of 27 Old 06-03-2006, 09:19 AM
xmatt2strokex

yeah, I always keep the liner w/me just in case. It works really well in the rain. I almost always take a backpack w/me, so I just stuff the liner in there, and throw it on if need be...it also works good (the liner) as just a regular jacket to wear. I wear it if it's chilly outside. I think it looks reasonably sharp.

m.

post #10 of 27 Old 06-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Hornet Grandpa!

I have the "silver" one. I commute 60 miles one way, every weekday. I wear the liner in the morning with the jacket to preserve a little heat, but shed it on the way home. The liner needs to be put on over a long sleeve shirt. I've tried it with a short sleeve shirt so the liner material is next to my skin and it doesn't breath at all, feels like your wearing a plastic trash bag -- sticky!

...but the mesh jacket works great in the warm weather. It is one "heavy" jacket though.

post #11 of 27 Old 06-07-2006, 01:18 PM
CPG's 919

Hello Everbody My Name Is Chris
I Too Have The Joe Rocket Phoenix, I Keep My Liner Out In The Summer, And I Just Wear The Mesh Cause It Seems To May Cooler. Does Anyboby Have Problems With The Back Pad Comming Up Into The Back Of Your Helmet

post #12 of 27 Old 06-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Mc 9er

i have'nt had a problem with the back pad,i'm cheking it now and i can't see how it would come up the back of your neck.is the stiching ok?

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #13 of 27 Old 06-07-2006, 09:02 PM
CPG's 919

I Guess May Be It's The Way I Wear My Jacket And My Helmet ...

post #14 of 27 Old 06-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPG's 919
I Guess May Be It's The Way I Wear My Jacket And My Helmet ...
And how do you wear your helmet and jacket? Strap the helmet to your back and wrap the jacket over your head?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #15 of 27 Old 06-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll
And how do you wear your helmet and jacket? Strap the helmet to your back and wrap the jacket over your head?
C'mon Ragdoll, anybody can figure out he's putting them on backwards.

Seriously, if that is happening that sucks. Is your jacket too big?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #16 of 27 Old 06-08-2006, 06:53 AM
CPG's 919

No My Jacket Is Not To Big..when I Ride My Head Goes Rolls Back Just A Little And The Back Of My Helmet Hit The Pad.. I Have A Kbc Dark Force Rr Helmet And A Shoei Hot Wheels And Both Of Them Do It. Maybe I Need To Buy Another Jacket Or Helmet

post #17 of 27 Old 06-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmatt2strokex

m.
It's got to be the only textile jacket you've ever owned. Right?

post #18 of 27 Old 06-10-2006, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxRC
It's got to be the only textile jacket you've ever owned. Right?

Personally I think it is a pretty nice jacket. It's all about what you are looking for.

post #19 of 27 Old 06-12-2006, 03:35 PM
xmatt2strokex

I went down this weekend at about 35-40, and didn't feel a thing w/it on. My (regular) jean clad knee however, got pretty skinned up. Bike was (mostly) ok, and so am I. Again, great jacket.

I've got some icon jeans w/the padded knees on order coming in this week.

m.

post #20 of 27 Old 06-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Living the dream

Ouch. Glad to hear you are ok though.

post #21 of 27 Old 06-17-2006, 07:36 PM

I have the Phoenix, and I happen to live in Phoenix... Perhaps there is a connection since it is pretty much the only jacket bearable in the summer here... and nothing is really bearable, but sometimes you gotta just sack up and ride anyway.

So here is my take, for future buyers. I agree, the arm straps are bullsh*t. They only have 2 snap options and the tightest is still too loose, and I tried on a large and it wasn't nearly long enough for my arms and waist. I should have probably been more discerning at the point of sale but I was all caught up in the light mesh and breathability.

Anyway, other thing is that the jacket is cut loose all around, the waist will fit and the length will fit, but then the bulk around the chest and the bulk in the arms makes me concerned that should I need that nicely placed armor anywhere in the jacket, it would simply roll away so quickly to expose joints and bones that I don't think there would be much of a point in having worn a jacket at all. THat mesh is hardly protection of any kind.

So my ultimate review, this jacket is designed for those who really want to wear nothing but their conscience is eased by wearing something that masquerades as protection when in actuality it most likely will offer very little.

post #22 of 27 Old 06-18-2006, 03:29 PM
xmatt2strokex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortonomics
I have the Phoenix, and I happen to live in Phoenix... Perhaps there is a connection since it is pretty much the only jacket bearable in the summer here... and nothing is really bearable, but sometimes you gotta just sack up and ride anyway.

So here is my take, for future buyers. I agree, the arm straps are bullsh*t. They only have 2 snap options and the tightest is still too loose, and I tried on a large and it wasn't nearly long enough for my arms and waist. I should have probably been more discerning at the point of sale but I was all caught up in the light mesh and breathability.

Anyway, other thing is that the jacket is cut loose all around, the waist will fit and the length will fit, but then the bulk around the chest and the bulk in the arms makes me concerned that should I need that nicely placed armor anywhere in the jacket, it would simply roll away so quickly to expose joints and bones that I don't think there would be much of a point in having worn a jacket at all. THat mesh is hardly protection of any kind.

So my ultimate review, this jacket is designed for those who really want to wear nothing but their conscience is eased by wearing something that masquerades as protection when in actuality it most likely will offer very little.

Well, I went down at around 35-40 mph a few weeks ago in it, and the jacket didn't even get a scratch. So, I'd say that it will do it's job decent. At 80+, I'm sure that it won't be as good as leather, but I have pretty good confidence in it to keep me reasonably protected.

m.

post #23 of 27 Old 07-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Hornet Grandpa!

xmatt2strokex, experience beats theory every time.

ortonomics, I don't know you but I wonder how many don't read your postings because of that obnoxious avatar you have? It flashes so often that it becomes an annoyance to read your posts. I've seen others on gun forums who have submachineguns constantly firing and I don't read theirs either. This is not a comment on the content, just the constant movement.

post #24 of 27 Old 07-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

check the reactor 2.0, same setup as the phoenix almost only velcro straps for the sleeves (no buttons)...shorter collar (no chaffing) and a little bit o leather on the shoulders...

post #25 of 27 Old 07-03-2006, 08:03 PM
xmatt2strokex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog
check the reactor 2.0, same setup as the phoenix almost only velcro straps for the sleeves (no buttons)...shorter collar (no chaffing) and a little bit o leather on the shoulders...

Hmmm...might look at it, although, funny enough, as of late, the straps have been staying buttoned, no shit.

m.

post #26 of 27 Old 07-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

the buttons have been a problem since the first phoenix and still are

the reactor is very nice, mine came in this week...

yeah, the midsection has some extra room, prolly why this is my favorite jacket for summertime

i've dumped at under 50mph (dirt biking) w/ the phoenix a bunch of times, it holds up pretty well

post #27 of 27 Old 01-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Tirone

I also purchased a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0. I find that it is the best summer jacket that I have ever owned. I have ridden in 40oC (105 Fa) in Melbourne, with a full face helmet, and it was beareable. If it is a choice between a jacket or gravel rash, hey give me the jacket any day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode