Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Joe Rocket Ballistic Pants

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  PilotRPI 
#1 ·
I'm happy with my Joe Rocket stuff and looking for some over pants for both commuting and cruising. The Ballistics have some good reviews, but I'm curious if anyone uses these in the summer in addition to other times of the year, or if they are just too hot. I'd rather get one set of pants I can use most of the year round rather than these and a mesh pair if I need to. Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
I bought a set of those fieldsheer mercury pants and here in so cal they were WAY WAY to hot even without the liners, even on a cooler day. I ended up sending them back and getting the fieldsheer air mesh pants

Fieldsheer Titanium Air 4.0 Mesh Pants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

They come with the same quilted liner as the mercurys for cooler cold day, but you can run without and they are VERY nice... also are much less bulky compared to the same sized mercury pants.

I could see where you would want the mercurys, if you rode in rain alot, and it was less than 50*F for the better part of your riding season... but otherwise the air mesh would be perfect... cooler days pop in the liner... if you need more warmth put on some thermals... if it gets super hot take the liners out and enjoy the breeze.

#6 ·
Where in Jersey are you? I have Olympia Ranger 2 overpants, they were great in the fall and cooler weather, a bit too much in the warmer temps. I just bought Olympia's X-Moto pants, I can't wait to try them in the warmer weather, they should be the cats a$$, check them out, Olympia Moto Sports - X Moto All Season Transition Pant , Olympia makes some nice stuff, I have their GT Air Transition jacket, it's a true 4 season jacket, the venting is incredible and the combination of the two liners is great.

#8 ·
I've been wearing a set of Ballistic 7.0 pants for over a year - works pretty well over a set of jeans, good for light rain / cold down to about 40', and seems like it would hold up in a crash (not tested thankfully).

I actually have a extra size M regular (34" x 33") if you're interested. I bought it at a dealership, used it once, and then ended up buying a size M short online after I realized they make them with shorter inseam lengths. PM me if you're interested.

#11 ·
Sounds good to me. Me and a couple friends (om BMW's, don't worry, they're cool) do Sunday rides regularly, we'll meet at a local gas station to fuel up, find a diner for some breakfast, then ride from 100 to 300 miles depending on everyone's schedule for the day.

#15 ·
My mistake. They are the ballistic pants. Sorry. I was confused about them being waterproof. They are waterproof with the liner but it's removable.

I've had no problems getting them on or off. The side zippers make it easy to get them on even with boots on. Most of the adjustments are set-and-forget. I just leave them zipped together with my Sonic jacket. I pull the pants on, put the jacket on, zip the pant legs and the fly and the rest is just the normal jacket routine.

I bought mine from NewEnough.com.

#14 ·
I ordered a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic pants. Tried em on. They never got any further than the living room. Oh my goodness, what a bunch of velcro and zippers and belts and snaps and flaps and liner! I just wanted a pair of pants!

You really need at least 2 pairs of street pants. I have a pair of First Gear insulated pants, big enough to have a pair of jeans on under. Theose are my "Fat Pants". Got em off EBay for about $50. My other pair is a fairly thin pair of First Gear pants. They're big enough to get a pair of Under Armour "long johns" under. Had the velcro sewed onto them for knee sliders.

I also have a 2 piece set of leathers I bought cheap somewhere. I don't wear the leathers very often because I'm not cool or fast enough to be seen in leathers on the street.

#16 ·
I have JR Alter Ego pants. They have a wide, removable panel that goes down each leg and around the back. When the panel is off there is mesh underneath. They also come with a waterproof/windproof liner. These are my only pants. I wear them 100% of the time. I wear them over jeans and long underwear when it's cold. In the hot weather I wear shorts under them.

Jeff

#17 ·
Does anyone have first hand experience meeting the road with textile pants, or know someone who has? I imagine they are lots better than jeans, just curious how well they actually hold up.

I've heard great first hand accounts of leathers, especially from on the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.