jacket opinion help me not spend 50 bucks - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 11-03-2006, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

jacket opinion help me not spend 50 bucks

I have this jacket and the zipper isn't functioning everytime. It fits my long arms very well and snug all over.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...L_FTL247BZ40_G

Oh yea has anyone ever heard of Frank Thomas stuff???

Cycle gear said I could do a 1 for 1 swap or for 50 bucks go with this or any thing else it just might cost more... it either fits nice and snug and is short on arms or is a little loose and fits arm lenght ok.

http://www.cyclegear.com/lpgm.cfm?L1...1533421-1-50_G

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-03-2006, 02:24 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
I have this jacket and the zipper isn't functioning everytime. It fits my long arms very well and snug all over.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...L_FTL247BZ40_G

Oh yea has anyone ever heard of Frank Thomas stuff???

Cycle gear said I could do a 1 for 1 swap or for 50 bucks go with this or any thing else it just might cost more... it either fits nice and snug and is short on arms or is a little loose and fits arm lenght ok.

http://www.cyclegear.com/lpgm.cfm?L1...1533421-1-50_G
Frank Thomas is a line owned by Cycle Gear. $50 bucks seems a lot for an exchange, especially if the zipper failed under warranty. I would kick up a bit of fuss and see what they say.

post #3 of 15 Old 11-03-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
Frank Thomas is a line owned by Cycle Gear. $50 bucks seems a lot for an exchange, especially if the zipper failed under warranty. I would kick up a bit of fuss and see what they say.
I swapped frank thomas for frank thomas for free it was changing brands would cost the difference that i paid for the cost of the new jacket. Very easy to deal with actually!! Just wondered if you (WIM-RC51) thought about the quality of one over the other??

post #4 of 15 Old 11-03-2006, 03:16 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I swapped frank thomas for frank thomas for free it was changing brands would cost the difference that i paid for the cost of the new jacket. Very easy to deal with actually!! Just wondered if you (WIM-RC51) thought about the quality of one over the other??
Okay.. WIM is in a slightly drunk mood, thus the following statement.

On it's best day, a Frank Thomas would not compare to a Dainese. Sorry, I missed the brand the first go round.

If you ever got a chance to research Dainese, you would have nothing but awe and praise for what they do.

post #5 of 15 Old 11-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

It's true, when I wear my Dainese suit, I can fly.... and I have heat vision.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #6 of 15 Old 11-03-2006, 05:20 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

While Frank thomas is going to Middle School to learn how make a jacket, Dainese has already graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Jacket Manufacturing... that's how close they are to one another

post #7 of 15 Old 11-11-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

jacket opinion already spent the dough on it

Well after the last post I had already completed an even swap for the same jacket. As predicted it broke as well. So went back to the store and the same offer was still available. So I went ahead and purchased the Gladiator by Dainese and I like the way it feels but just wondering if anyone has had any of their textile stuff? It looks pretty nice and tough but being that it is not leather I'm just concerned a bit? Any opinions on this D-Stone stuff? One of the sales guy tried to claim that Rossi's suit actually has some of it on the inside of the thighs and somewhere in the chest?? Either way the quality of the jacket looks much better than the Frank Thomas as you guys stated!! Thanks for the earlier input!

post #8 of 15 Old 11-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Gladiator? This one?

D-stone, I know Dainese's mid to upper level suits have it in there. Example That is the same construction of my suit. On the left(turn_1 is on the right and his brother in the middle) See how the chest has a different tone of black on the center. That's D-stone, same in the thighs. Pretty much repeating what that dude told you. But yeah.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #9 of 15 Old 11-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Rossi's suit at work.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #10 of 15 Old 11-11-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

yep that's the one! thanks for the info!

post #11 of 15 Old 11-12-2006, 07:58 AM

Awards Showcase

They do that mainly for movemet purposes and low impact zones on the suits... I think that's how they explained it to me.

post #12 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 09:06 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
While Frank thomas is going to Middle School to learn how make a jacket, Dainese has already graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Jacket Manufacturing... that's how close they are to one another
WOW! This is history in the making - AGAIN! I completely agree with RC90. MAN! That hurt!...

Quote:
Well after the last post I had already completed an even swap for the same jacket. As predicted it broke as well. So went back to the store and the same offer was still available. So I went ahead and purchased the Gladiator by Dainese and I like the way it feels but just wondering if anyone has had any of their textile stuff? It looks pretty nice and tough but being that it is not leather I'm just concerned a bit? Any opinions on this D-Stone stuff? One of the sales guy tried to claim that Rossi's suit actually has some of it on the inside of the thighs and somewhere in the chest?? Either way the quality of the jacket looks much better than the Frank Thomas as you guys stated!! Thanks for the earlier input!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
They do that mainly for movemet purposes and low impact zones on the suits... I think that's how they explained it to me.
To answer the questions about the inner thighs / chest / and under arm area. That material is stretch Kevlar. It is used as RC indicates for better movement or articulation in the suit. It is not cheap to add this to suits and so when you look at a Dainese, SPIDI or Veloce suit, you will see it used strategically. Typically, these panels are not used in high impact areas and they are still able to tear, with less abrasion resistance than leather. You use it in the thigh area so you can move / squat, etc. You use under the arms so it makes stretching to the bars easier, and so on and so forth.

Not to alarm you AJ, but leather will always have a higher abrasion resistance rating than textile - until technology provides an alternative. That said, if you are wearing a Dainese textile jacket, you are probably better protected than some leather gear out there. Manufacturers like Dainese are very conscientious about rider protection and will coat and treat textiles to have a better ability to withstand friction - both on the outside and inside of the gear.

WIM

post #13 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
WOW! This is history in the making - AGAIN! I completely agree with RC90. MAN! That hurt!...

Not to alarm you AJ, but leather will always have a higher abrasion resistance rating than textile - until technology provides an alternative. That said, if you are wearing a Dainese textile jacket, you are probably better protected than some leather gear out there. Manufacturers like Dainese are very conscientious about rider protection and will coat and treat textiles to have a better ability to withstand friction - both on the outside and inside of the gear.

WIM

Not really shocked about the abrasion resistance, the guy trying to sell it of coarse stated it was better than leather I nodded and said hmmm... I figure at least the zipper won't bust open in the event of a spill whether it's leather or not being that it's a Dainese instead of Frank Thomas... I just feel I comprised with the price of the Dainese full Leather and their textile for as much as i could afford including the credit of the other coat.

post #14 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 11:06 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Not really shocked about the abrasion resistance, the guy trying to sell it of coarse stated it was better than leather I nodded and said hmmm... I figure at least the zipper won't bust open in the event of a spill whether it's leather or not being that it's a Dainese instead of Frank Thomas... I just feel I comprised with the price of the Dainese full Leather and their textile for as much as i could afford including the credit of the other coat.
You got a great jacket and a good price man! You done did good as my man RC90 would say in Engrish!

post #15 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 11:32 AM

Awards Showcase

I speak Engrish NOT ghetto dammit!!! :chris:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode