Intercom system - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 06-11-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Intercom system

So I'm in the market for an intercom system. My GF (who is fairly new to motorcycles) and I have been taking progressively longer rides.

I'd like some input on intercom systems that work well on naked bikes with full faced helmets. I've got a lot of helmet wind noise, so something that dosen't pick up the wind noise for the other rider would be ideal. I've heard good things about the Scala Rider G4 on this site, but other reviews online are mixed.

This last weekend we had a big O-Sh*t moment and we need something to get the others immediate attention. I lucked out and was able to get her attention with my horn, but that is not always the case. Since it comes down to a safety issue, I want something that just works. I know someone (probably g00gl3it) will say to just install a Stebel horn, but an intercom system will save me (hopefully) some arguments due to misinterpretation of arm waiving, pointing and honking.

[This space for rent]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Bike to Bike there are many options.

We prefer J&M CB2003 units: CB, Weather, intercom on the dual model if you ride two-up, and a music source all in one.

Pricey, but worth it!

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #3 of 31 Old 06-11-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Huh... I didn't think about going the CB route. I ride with my dad from time to time and he has a CB on his Goldwing.

I think I'd prefer a wireless headset since I know I'd hop off the bike in a hurry sometime and forget to unplug the unit.

[This space for rent]

post #4 of 31 Old 06-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Optio

Garage
I've been looking at the Sena's recently and I think thats what I'm getting. The SMH5 would be all I would need and the price is right. You can even get a double pack as well.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #5 of 31 Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

I've logged about 15k miles on my Sena. Bought the double pack for my lady to use. Also have it mated to my iphone, and to few other buddies that I ride with.
Make sure you get the newer version, which supports a 4 way intercom. The older version use dedicated 'channels' per se (not sure how to explain it in bluetooth terms).

It's changed our riding for sure. I have no issues with wind noise on the 919 - just make sure the mic covers are on there - and don't ride with the visor up. We've had 14+ hour riding days and they lasted throughout.

post #6 of 31 Old 06-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Princeps Prior

Problem with the CB's (as far I as I know) is that it is 1 way speaking. As in, you have to wait for the other person to stop talking in order for you to talk. So as she's talking about what she's cooking for tonight, and you want to say WATCH OUT!!!, it will not get through as long as she's talking.

That is why I recommend the scala rider g4 and g9 units. 2 way intercom. If you have 4 people connected (g4's max) all 4 people can talk and hear everything, at the same time. You can cut her jibber jabber right off to inform her of a hazard. You spend more money, but these units are fantastic.

post #7 of 31 Old 06-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Dewbie

Anybody have experience with the UClear HBC100? Expensive, but seems to be highly rated, and I like the idea of the integrated mic.

post #8 of 31 Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 PM
GitrFixdUp

Sena SMH-10

I purchased a dual pack of the Sena SMH-10 and have been very happy with it so far.

It does not have the radio features of the Scala, but has excellent features, ease of use etc...

I got it off the group buy on ADVRiders.com and it was less than the cost of ONE Scala G9 system.

Have a look at WebBikeWorld for the reviews of several units.

Gord.

post #9 of 31 Old 06-12-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Do you seem to have any durability issues with the SMH-10?

[This space for rent]
post #10 of 31 Old 06-12-2012, 04:15 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

ANy advantage of going for the SMH10 over the 5? Can you guys show pictures of you helmet with it attached please?

Scratch the two questions above just watched an excellent review from revzilla. New question does the 5 and the 10 work with my IPHONE in playing music? They just say phone or music device but nothing spcific about the iPhone.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #11 of 31 Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 PM
GitrFixdUp

Sena SMH-10

Durability issues:

the system seems quite well made... I've ridden in heavy rain without any issues, really no major issues at all so far... best Bluetooth device I've ever used, bar none. press jog dial for 5 seconds, pause music, press again for 5 seconds, start music... I use it every day for my 45 minute ride to work... VOX phone answering is cool... phone rings, say hello, phone connects... music resumes when disconnected.

SMH10 versus 5:
range issues - 10 is better than 5
compatibility - 10 can do group intercom of 4 users
power - 10 lasts longer
upgrades? - 10 has a ton of options such as earbud mount rather than the helmut speakers.

I use an iPhone 4S

post #12 of 31 Old 06-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgweist View Post
I purchased a dual pack of the Sena SMH-10 and have been very happy with it so far.

It does not have the radio features of the Scala, but has excellent features, ease of use etc...

I got it off the group buy on ADVRiders.com and it was less than the cost of ONE Scala G9 system.

Have a look at WebBikeWorld for the reviews of several units.

Gord.

the radio features on the scala rider g4 suck. It's cool how it will save presets, but the reception is not that great. Bluetooth on the other hand sounds great and works flawlessly on the g4.

post #13 of 31 Old 06-12-2012, 05:44 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
the radio features on the scala rider g4 suck. It's cool how it will save presets, but the reception is not that great. Bluetooth on the other hand sounds great and works flawlessly on the g4.
+1

post #14 of 31 Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Yeah I pulled the trigger on the SMH-5. I liked the ability to disconnect the Bluetooth "Base" from the mic boom and the speakers. I can't even bring a Bluetooth device in to my work so just disconnecting that and putting it in my tank bag then hooking it back up at the end of the day is what really sold me. Plus it is smaller and lighter then the 10.

Edit: Oh, and at $96 from revzilla you can't beat the price either!

post #15 of 31 Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Three cheers for Revzilla! I ordered on the 12th and it got here today, free shipping via UPS ground! Already installed on my helmet (post a picture later) and synced to my iPhone. Took me maybe 20min to set it up. I had to restart my iPhone and the device in order for it to pair the first time and then had to restart and pair it again in order for it to properly pair so I can play my music via the SMH5. No noticeable difference in the weight of the helmet with it on, after I put my helmet on (Shoei RF-1000) I have to move it around on my head a bit to get my ears to flatten on on the speakers. The speakers sound okay at a normal volume (Bruce Springsteen was on) but tomorrows ride to work will test them under 65mph conditions and a little heavier of music (Skrillex) . I didn't hook up the mic because I don't ever plan on answering my phone with it on. So far, for me, this looks to be THE solution to listening to music while riding I was looking for. Ear Buds never stayed in place and custom molds are WAY to expensive.

post #16 of 31 Old 06-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Immune

I've got an SMH10 that I bought with a buddy of mine for a trip in 2011, we have used them many times since and I love it! Very easy setup on any helmet and the intercom is SO much better than flailing your arms around and your riding buddy not knowing what's going on lol. We both have Android phones and the syncing and music playback is great on a long trip, or just around town

Erik
2005 Honda 919

I've got a lot of places to see! (on the bike) :-)
post #17 of 31 Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Looking to get a headset myself to use for intercom and bluetooth to my phone for music/audiobook/GPS. Quick question about them...does it only pair with one device? In other words, if you are currently paired with your phone for music, etc, can you also be paired with another headset for intercom? I know Ken said the F4 Interphone does support prioritization, but what about the Sena SMH 5 or 10?

Thanks in advance...

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #18 of 31 Old 07-04-2012, 11:01 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I know the SMH-5 can pair with multiple BT devices. There are videos on YouTube showing you how to do it. The 5 can only talk to one other 5 or 10. From what I under stand the 10 can pair with up to four other 10s but you can still only talk to one at one time.

On the 5 I only wish the speakers were of a little better quality but that's just me. They says the 10s are better. I am a pseudo-audiophile and love to "Hear" my music. But for what the 5 is, and gives me, I can put up with it. If they do come out with better speakers I will be buying them.

post #19 of 31 Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
I know the SMH-5 can pair with multiple BT devices. There are videos on YouTube showing you how to do it. The 5 can only talk to one other 5 or 10. From what I under stand the 10 can pair with up to four other 10s but you can still only talk to one at one time.

On the 5 I only wish the speakers were of a little better quality but that's just me. They says the 10s are better. I am a pseudo-audiophile and love to "Hear" my music. But for what the 5 is, and gives me, I can put up with it. If they do come out with better speakers I will be buying them.
Thanks! Just the info I needed. I only need to pair with one other headset, and have already spent enough $ on high quality headphones for music, so for the bike, I think I can sacrifice sound quality for price.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #20 of 31 Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Here is the dual pack from revzilla.com

Sena SMH5 Bluetooth Headset Dual Pack - RevZilla

post #21 of 31 Old 07-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Here is the dual pack from revzilla.com

Sena SMH5 Bluetooth Headset Dual Pack - RevZilla
Double thanks Dave! I was eyeballing it on Amazon, and it is $20 more expensive there.

- Stephen Hawking
post #22 of 31 Old 07-04-2012, 12:30 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I think it's free shipping on revzilla too!

Sent from my way better than Android iPhone4 using Tapatalk 2

post #23 of 31 Old 07-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Princeps Prior

The scala rider can pair to multiple bluetooth devices while maintaining full duplex conversation with up to 4 riders. It can only be connected to 1 bluetooth phone or gps, and 1 BT audio player. I believe the gps and phone take priority over the conversation, but the music does not.

I an iphone 4s. The g4 will recognize the difference between a call and music, but the gps it gets the audio through the A2DP end. So the intercom call will be herd over the gps. Little bit of a bummer, but it's ok since I have a handlebar mount

post #24 of 31 Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgweist View Post
I also got the SMH-10 and this ^ is the best deal you are going to find.

[This space for rent]
post #25 of 31 Old 07-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Found a very lightly used Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Pro Multiset for just about $200...think that's a better choice than the SMH5 or 10?

- Stephen Hawking
post #26 of 31 Old 07-05-2012, 05:41 PM
919>food>beer

I have a scala q9 and love it, I think 200 for the q2 is a bit much though, unless its two units.

post #27 of 31 Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
I have a scala q9 and love it, I think 200 for the q2 is a bit much though, unless its two units.
Yup, it's two.

- Stephen Hawking
post #28 of 31 Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 PM
919>food>beer

doesn't sound like a horrible deal, but I love the fact my q9 can go a mile away for bike to bike as well as up to 9 riders if the need ever arises

post #29 of 31 Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
doesn't sound like a horrible deal, but I love the fact my q9 can go a mile away for bike to bike as well as up to 9 riders if the need ever arises
That does sound nice. I'm really just looking for something for one trip that I have planned, so I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

Actually just found this which could work although I'm sure range sucks and normal cell phone headsets would probably not work at all for wind noise reduction, etc.

Android Intercom

- Stephen Hawking
post #30 of 31 Old 07-06-2012, 04:59 AM
919>food>beer

Yeah, 100 meters isnt that far for the android system... the q2 listed above really isn't a bad deal. I went halves with a buddy on my unit for a trip to the dragon, so my one unit was 250 new, now I want to track down a second cheaper unit for when the pillon rides with me and may just look at the q2-q4 for her. I suggest you spend some time getting familiar with the system before your big trip too, trust me that it will save frustration.

post #31 of 31 Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Ended picking up the Scala Q2 dual pack for about $200. Seemed to be about $100 of new purchase price, so I figure I can use it and if I don't love it, resell it for about the same. Should get it in about a week.

- Stephen Hawking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode