Icon Field Armor - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 07-23-2006, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

Icon Field Armor

Was wondering if anyone out there has any of the icon field armor stuff,

was looking into those leg protectors

Ive been a big fan of Icon since they first came out, and have owned (and still do) quite a bit of thier stuff.

As its too hot for mis-behaving down here in FL, I wanted at least some protection that could be donned quickly, and removed, without peeling sweaty leather off... they look pretty stout and well ventilated, and appear to be able to hide under jeans, or these damn polyester uniform pants i have to wear..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-24-2006, 06:46 AM

Glad you're looking into gear but buy some leather. I still wear my leather no matter what the temperature. Sweating is nothing compared to road rash scabs sticking to your bed sheets every morning for a few weeks. There's nothing like taking a bath or a shower with sheets stuck to you. Aaaaah the good ole days!

post #3 of 12 Old 07-24-2006, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

Thanks for the reply,
Well, I have leathers, and I know they are the best in this area, I myself have layed down 2 bikes, both someone elses fault, luckily not at incredible speeds... the first time i was wearing a t shirt, light pants, no gloves, and no helmet... and it is still amazing to this day that i didnt whack my melon... but the road rash was awful, burned my hands along with both shoes coming off, ... odd, but i hear this happens often with shoes that dont go above the ankle very much...so now i Always wear the helmet and much more securable shoes, and jeans. honestly i do sometimes just wear a t shirt for a top, but not often,,,
as i see your in FL, then you know what i mean about the heat and humidity...
I was about to get some of that mesh gear, but after seeing some pics of it after some crash and burns.... i'm not quite sure about the mesh stuff now. sure its better than nothing.

I do however like the fact of having some type of "hard" armor at those delicate points of the knee and that area, as even compared to leathers, the impact absorbtion is much better.

I might just end up getting some perforated leather, but I already have 5 leather jackets...... HMMM, anyone ever perforated thier own leathers????
LOL

post #4 of 12 Old 07-25-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_I
I might just end up getting some perforated leather, but I already have 5 leather jackets...... HMMM, anyone ever perforated thier own leathers????
LOL
Funny you should ask that but yes. Jetblast perforated some areas on my suit and it helped tremendously. Buy a nice perf'd leather jacket and sell some of the others. Or you might find a local leather shop to sew in some perf'd panels for you. I have a guy here in St. Pete that I use and he does good work.

Where are you?

post #5 of 12 Old 07-25-2006, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

Im located at the moment in that miserable stretch of florida between pensacola and panama city, otherwise known as Destin, Santa Rosa, Ft. Walton, Eglin, or as i like to call it the place for all the idiots who come to vaction and lose all thier IQ at the border, Ive lived all over the US, but im stuck here for some reason... I miss the canyons and mountains...

post #6 of 12 Old 07-26-2006, 08:08 AM

I feel your pain! Just take a vacation up to Georgia or NC.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Eliminates all excuses:

http://www.bohnarmor.com/

post #8 of 12 Old 07-29-2006, 08:03 PM

I have the Icon leg armor, I like them. I hope to never find out but in a crash they would certainly be better than just jeans. The seem really well made.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-30-2006, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

Thankyou RC51xx

That stuff is pretty badass on that link, and amazingly not expensive!!

Also, Wockman, Good to hear from someone who has the icon leg armor,

I think ill probably combine the Bohn upper stuff for hot climates, and the icon leg armor, as bohn's pants armor stuff looks like i'd have to strip down to get them on and off, and the icon stuff, i could just hike up a leg, and remove them... should be a good combo of protection.

Also, some of the Bohn shirts look pretty kick ass as outer gear, even though they reccomend wearing under stuff!... definetly looks aggressive!!

post #10 of 12 Old 07-30-2006, 08:39 AM

Well, if you read the Bohn testimonials, one person mentions how much rash they still had after a crash (with the caveat "it could have been worse"). It's a little scary that that's the best they have to say. Impact protection is better than nothing, but I can only picture that lycra shredding and leaving a trail of armor behind you. I briefly looked at "summer mesh" gear, but it doesn't look worth it, so I'm just suffering through the heat...

post #11 of 12 Old 07-31-2006, 04:14 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_I
Thankyou RC51xx

That stuff is pretty badass on that link, and amazingly not expensive!!

Also, Wockman, Good to hear from someone who has the icon leg armor,

I think ill probably combine the Bohn upper stuff for hot climates, and the icon leg armor, as bohn's pants armor stuff looks like i'd have to strip down to get them on and off, and the icon stuff, i could just hike up a leg, and remove them... should be a good combo of protection.

Also, some of the Bohn shirts look pretty kick ass as outer gear, even though they reccomend wearing under stuff!... definetly looks aggressive!!
Firstly, I understand your pain and suffering about the FL heat. On the Bohn protection, the only way it is effective is if you wear it under something. No use if you are going to wear it by itself, and you would also look like some weird squidly superhero. Especially with the pants.

As far perforations - Barnacle Bills does if for you leathers, you do have to ship it to them though. If you want the Bohn - I have a set at home that never gets used since I used to always ride in leathers.

post #12 of 12 Old 07-31-2006, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

LOL,

Yes I agree, the bohn stuff has to be worn with some outer covering for abrasion resistance, but you have to admit,, it does kinda look like mad max stuff!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode