ICON Airframe experience - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

ICON Airframe experience

Fellow WT members: Just thought I would share my ICON experience with you all. I ordered the ICON Airframe about a month ago. I wore it for two weeks and I really liked it for the great cooling and the comfort and design.
About a week ago I was cleaning it and I moved the front vent to the "closed" position and when I opened it, the front vent fell out of the helmet. It was retained by cheap plastic screws that broke because of pressure against the wall of the helmet they stuck through.
(I forgot to take pics b/f I sent it back...sorry)
I thought perhaps it was just a one time deal with the helmet ( I really liked it a lot)....so I sent it back for another one. I recieved the new one, flipped the vent open-to-closed three times and it broke off. Moral of the story: Bad Design, buyer beware....the helmet was great in every other regard and i purchased it because of the high marks it recieved on motorcycle superstore but it did not live up to its review.
I just ordered a Scorpion EXO700 so I hope my helmet troubles are over. Feel free to ask any questions, see ya on the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sorry about the Icon, but sounds like you gave it a fair shake. I'd be interested in your impressions of the Scorpion EXO. It's on my short list for a new helmet, when the time comes.

post #3 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Sorry about the Icon, but sounds like you gave it a fair shake. I'd be interested in your impressions of the Scorpion EXO. It's on my short list for a new helmet, when the time comes.
*loud whisper .... try the kbc... i am loving the one i bought more and more every time i wear it...

post #4 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I almost bought that same helmet. The sales guy warned me not too. He said he had one and they are made cheaply and they fall apart. From what he was saying a lot of people complain about them too.

post #5 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
I almost bought that same helmet. The sales guy warned me not too. He said he had one and they are made cheaply and they fall apart. From what he was saying a lot of people complain about them too.
hi nadia

post #6 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

post #7 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
hi nadia
Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
Get a blog!

post #8 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 04:56 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

thanks for the heads up. I was considering an icon for an around town helmet

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #9 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

the Scorpion has high marks on motorcycle superstore and it seems other members on here like it as well. The quick change lense feature also has good reviews. I am going with the dark silver and a silver shade.

post #10 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I have a Scorpion EXO 400 and its a great helmet. I wear it in the winter because it does not fog like my Shoei.

post #11 of 19 Old 05-18-2009, 05:41 PM
grommit

I own 3 Icon's(Domain, Mainframe and Airframe). I was just moving up in brand's thats why I own 3. I have yet to have any break on me

post #12 of 19 Old 05-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Tirone??

You should really enjoy the new Scorpion. I have been using a Scorpion EXO-700 for quite some time and really like it. Let us know what your opinions are on the helmet after you get a chance to give it a try.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #13 of 19 Old 05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Weren't you checking out my Exo-1000? I know that one is more expensive but you get the sunvisor which is SO convenient! Its not as quiet as I would like, I feel like my fulmer and HJC are both a little bit quieter but it is very comfortable has a great cheek pad pump system and I doesn't even fog up in 5 degree weather. It is a very cool helmet, the vents work great and I have never been to warm in it, even in Florida riding for 4 hours at a time. Overall I would say that the 1000 is a buy if it was just quieter it would be 100% perfect in my opinion

Spoiler:
post #14 of 19 Old 05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
MAM Customs

Quote:
My brother and I both bought Scorpion EXO-400 helmets a few months ago and they have been near perfect. It is impossible to fog up the face shield which also changes out super fast if you use multiple shields. The $8 add-on chin spoiler by Scorpion blocks nearly all the wind from getting underneath. The only complaint I have is that it is a little loud. Considering I got this helmet (with the spoiler) for $107 shipped, I'll live with the little extra noise.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
post #15 of 19 Old 05-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorrager View Post
My brother and I both bought Scorpion EXO-400 helmets a few months ago and they have been near perfect. It is impossible to fog up the face shield which also changes out super fast if you use multiple shields. The $8 add-on chin spoiler by Scorpion blocks nearly all the wind from getting underneath. The only complaint I have is that it is a little loud. Considering I got this helmet (with the spoiler) for $107 shipped, I'll live with the little extra noise.
+1

It made me laugh when I refreshed and saw that you said almost the exact same thing as me. I think my noise issue would be fixed if I either had a stronger chin or a bigger chin spoiler. Hmmm... Chin implants?

Spoiler:
post #16 of 19 Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

chin spoiler ey? I didnt see one for sale on motorcycle superstore

post #17 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 AM

i have an icon domain decay (among other helmets) and i really like it. my only complaint is up around the 130mph i have had the sheild fly up on me twice. totally freaked me out the first time...not good. for around town and lower speeds i love it. when i wake up at 5:30am on saturday morning to fly down 95 i use the simpson exclusively.

post #18 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

like I said i liked everything else about the icon except the front vent on the airframe model because it kept falling off.
UPDATE: I received my Scorpion Exo 700. Fit and finish seems excellent, I love the "speedshift" system for swapping out the visor. Can't wait to get on the road, but it's been raining for 5 days here in south Georgia

post #19 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Milites Gregarius

I've had the Scorpion EXO 700 in the Burst (silver) pattern for two years and really like it. Fits great, made well, ventilation is great and looks cool too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode