I STAYED DRY!! . . . . finally - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

I STAYED DRY!! . . . . finally

Well this is a ride report of sorts but more importantly it's a gear report. I had a chance to put some miles on the bike and play a road sign game on another forum even though I might encounter what some might call inclement weather. BAH! I got the go-ahead Saturday when we closed the shop and didn't even pause to check the forecast. The goal was a sign some 200 miles away and of course I turned it into almost 300 miles by picking up other signs along the way. I didn't see many bikes out but I did run into this group.
Ah-ooooo-gah!
Temps were in the 60's with gusty winds and scattered storms. I captured the prize just after dark and immediately uploaded it.

I then diverted to daughter's place in College Station where dinner and the couch were waiting. It was there I learned of the impending severe storm warnings - the beginnings of the cell that spawned the tornado that caused the devastation in Hattiesburg MS. Sunday morning I was awakened by high winds and thunderstorms. I watched the doppler with interest. The ribbon of red was on a easterly trek and so was I. I decided to let it pass and head south toward Houston to attempt to get around the worst of it. Somewhere northwest of Houston I rode into wind driven rain - not the heaviest rain but substantial nonetheless which persisted for the remaining 100 miles of my journey. In all, the ride was just shy of 500 miles. I am happy to report that I stayed completely dry inside my gear.

On a similar trip for the same, uh, reason almost a year ago when I captured my Mr. March calendar shot,

I endured over four hours of the heaviest downpour Texas has to offer and it proved too much for my REV'IT jacket's proprietary Hydratex liner. The jacket liner had been fine in moderate rain for a year but failed in that soup and soon the gloves and boots filled with water from the inside. The next day I began to pester REV'IT customer service, not to warranty the jacket but to sell me a bona fide Gore Tex liner out of their new top of the line offering - the same material found in the Motorrad Rallye II gear. Their reply, "we don't have any because we've never had to replace one" was no help but it served to convince me that switching to Gore Tex was the right idea. Two days later I received a call from the same customer service rep. He said had a solution to my dilemma, because I've been such a loyal REV'IT customer (or maybe because I am active on so many forums) he had been authorized to offer me the new DEFENDER jacket with Gore Tex liner at a price I couldn't refuse! Now THAT'S customer service.

I think the word "gauntlet" must be french for "rain funnel" because I've experienced water running down my arms and right into my gloves. The new jacket features long cuff zippers that allow the Gore Tex liner to be pulled over the gauntlets for a more positive seal.

So here's the wardrobe head to toe:

Shoei RF1100 - has a new visor gasket / lip design that truly does not leak
Respro Foggy breath guard controls shield fogging
Schampa Chin Guard keeps cold wind and rain off my neck
REV'IT Defender jacket - cuff design allows liner to be pulled over gauntlets easily
REV'IT Alaska Gore Tex winter gloves
REV'IT Dakar pants - 5yrs old. I spray the old Hydratex liner periodically with TexSport waterproofing
Sidi On Road Gore Tex boots - enough said

It has taken 7 years for me to acquire and upgrade my gear a piece at a time but I think I'm getting there.

What do y'all do to stay dry? :rider:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Will fly for food.

Garage
Thanks for sharing! Glad the helmet is getting some use!

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #3 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Pierre-Marc

nice write up Ken...I've ridden all day in rain before wearing an Aerostitch
Roadcrafter two piece suit. the only place that water came thru was on
the jacket zipper as I probably didn't have the cover flap firmly velcroed
in place. also my leather gloves and boots were soaked. I kept wringing
my gloves at every stop.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Left of Centre

A recent wet three-hr ride left me:
- loving my A-star goretex-lined boots,
- giving mental thanks to whoever it was [on this forum] who suggested thin latex gloves as a last line of defence inside non-waterrpoof gloves,
- and thanking the stars for polypropylene - a long-sleeved pp tee under everything else ensured I didn't freeze, even as the damp spread gradually over most of the rest of me....

post #5 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Discen

Dainese Jerico gloves
Alpinestars effex gtx boots
shark speed-r
Rd-taichi rain suit over my rst tractech leather jacket and k-shield kevlar jeans

Just as aerodynamic airplanes are simple and streamlined, a motorcycle--which manages to balance an engine and a seat between two wheels--has a mechanical integrity, with intertwining pipes, chains and springs, that is fascinating to behold - Peter Plagens
post #6 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM
just send it.

Garage
This:
http://www.froggtoggs.com/frogg-toggs-rain-suit-20.html

It ain't pretty, but it's cheap and it packs small. I try not to ride in the rain, but if I need to, this will keep me (mostly) dry.

[This space for rent]
post #7 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadacus View Post
Dainese Jerico gloves
I loved those gloves. BOMB PROOF! I almost bought a pair but the Alaska gloves worked better with my REV'IT jacket.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Aquilifer

Ken, i am not nearly so brave as you.... I stay home to stay dry... LOL.

post #9 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 09:35 AM
chevy5seven

+ 1 for Frogg Toggs

I said, "I ride A naked, not naked!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode