I need the truth! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 02-06-2008, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I need the truth!

I need some straight answers here. I am tired of talking to the accessories department at the local bike shop.

If you have $200 they tell you a $200 jacket is great. If you have more $$ they tell you that $200 jacket is crap.

If you ride a cruiser you don't need elbow/shoulder pads, if you ride a sport bike you gotta have the padding.

I'm not gonna lie I can't afford a $600 leather jacket and I have a hard time justifying to myself that I should buy one when I can get a textile jacket and pants for like $300.

That being said..... life is precious and you can't live without skin so what is a guy to do? I don't want to buy something that is going to fail if I should go skidding down the road on my back.

Is is safe to assume that if it is a name brand product than it is going to do the job? If i have to throw it out after a crash so be it but at that time I need it to work.

I would appreciate any insight that you more experienced folks can provide!

Thanks!

If God had wanted us to be vegetarians why did he make animals out of meat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-06-2008, 11:52 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I expect that you'll get lots of responses to this question, but here are my thoughts...If you're just street riding without any track time, a good quality textile jacket and pants works fine. I have First Gear brand textile jacket and pants, they have shoulder, elbow and back pads and seem quite sturdy. That being said, leather is of course better and many here will swear by nothing but I'm sure.

post #3 of 28 Old 02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Shop around to find the AlpineStar CE padded leather jackets AND track pants combo for ~$600. They've saved my hide before, so save up to best protect yourself.

post #4 of 28 Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Dainese makes a decent setup.

I'd say that if you're going to be putting a big number on the odometer, leather is the way to go. Skin grafts are lame.

weeeee

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #5 of 28 Old 02-06-2008, 12:19 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

With Faster speeds comes more road rash so if you are a high double digitis and/or triple digits kinda dude, you know what you need. If you have a cruiser and will cruise around at normal speeds, I would say a good Textile with good padding is more than enough but again and as others have stated... leather is better.

Check out closeout jackets and pants unless you need to have the latest colors and designs

post #6 of 28 Old 02-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

motorcyclecloseouts.com and newenough should be your two most visited websites right now. Throw in a Webbikeworld for reviews on the products you are looking to buy.

I typically wear leather in the summer and textile in the late fall, winter and early spring for its water resistance.

post #7 of 28 Old 02-06-2008, 12:29 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

All the above is sound advice.

That being said, start by finding out what size you need by trying on the stuff locally.

Then start keeping an eye on the classified sections here and any other boards you may frequent. You'll be able to get some very nice gear at quite a savings. You'll end up spending less on better gear. A win - win.

But then I'm a Broke Ass and cheap.

see look ---> https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10290

post #8 of 28 Old 02-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
motorcyclecloseouts.com and newenough should be your two most visited websites right now. Throw in a Webbikeworld for reviews on the products you are looking to buy.

I typically wear leather in the summer and textile in the late fall, winter and early spring for its water resistance.
+1

Can't beat newenough.com closeouts. Get what is comfortable so you will actually wear it. Leather can't be beat for protection. But some of the textile stuff is excellent and comes with various liners that make them extremely versatile for seasonal changes.

[EDIT] Check this PDF for failure rates of leather and the various textiles.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...5&postcount=14

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Discen

Personally, I do not wear leather. It sucks when hot and it sucks when rains. I do not ride track and in street scenario padding is more important than abrasion resistance since you are not getting a lot of run-off space before hitting smth... I have summer and winter textile jackets bought for under 100$ on sale and I am leaving them with the bike often, since no one will want to steal those anyway

post #10 of 28 Old 02-07-2008, 03:37 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I am sure some people were waiting for me to respond to this at some point :001_smile:

Okay... let's try to clear some air on some things here.

First thing first. There is no textile or man made material that can yet beat the abrasion capabilities of leather. No coating, no coaxing and no weaving or what have you can beat what leather can do.

You may not like leather, you may consider it more expensive, etc. However, when it comes to your skin's protection against the God's of Asphalt. Leather is the best protection.

One thing that is often overlooked about leather - especially top quality leather is that it actually breaths. Remember, it is skin - like your skin, but has been tanned and milled. Some will say the pores get sealed up during processing - so WIM, how can it breath. Again, high quality leather like Top Grain Mill Grade leather or Naked leather breathes because the pores are not sealed so to speak.

Now... what is different between a $200 jacket or a $300 jacket. Often times, name brand plays a major part in this. That said, there is also the question of type of leather, type of stitching or patterns used, and the type of armour and how it is placed. Either price range jacket is better than none and will offer protection. I ask riders to consider what they think their hide is worth and what they can truly afford. If you can afford new tires when due, you can afford decent protection. NEVER skimp on your protection. Bikes are replaceable (Contrary to popular belief and practices), but you my friend are not. Ask you Mum about this...unless she does not like you, she will agree.

What makes the difference could lesser grade leather, armour and placement. Moveable or adjustable armour is to me a misnomer. Armour should not move. It should be held in place to protect you. Lower grade leather does not neccesarily mean it won't protect you, it just means it may not be as supple, light and likely to survive a crash as more expensive leather. To save cost, things like stitching is different even down to the type of thread used. All this play a part in the survivability aspect of the apparel. So... if you can afford leather, get it. Get perforated with removable liners and believe me - at anything over 40 MPH, there is enough air coming in to keep you cool enough to ride on a summer's day.

Now... for textiles. What you loose in textiles is often the ability to withstand abrasive forces.... or simply friction. Today's textiles have come a long way with coating used, types of textile (Fieldsheer has an awesome new jacket), and the padding and such. Padding is not going to be different neccesarily from your leather apparel. Someone mentioned using the Alpinestars armour suit - excellent idea. You can wear that thing under any jacket and hey presto - it is good protection for your upper body. It runs about $189 or so retail. Check with Motolube on that. Or newenough - or any of the other great vendors out there.

Anyway.... the issue with textile is that it literally burns when exposed to friction or it will simply tear since it also lacks the shear resistance of leather garments.

I know there are various trains of thought on what to wear on the street or the track. Please - take this from me. Wear MORE protection on the street than on the track. On the track, you are less likely to have Molly I Am On the Phone to Honey in the Cage to run you over. And don't assume that you won't have as much of a slide scenario on the street. Not to pick on you Serge - however, street involved freeways and canyons with speeds in excess of 55 - 70 MPH often times. Believe me, you will slide plenty on the street too. I agree that leather sucks especially in the rain - you can't win it all :001_smile:

Decide what you like to wear - leather or textile. Then decide what you want to spend. Then check out vendor who always have specials. Start out at the limits of your budget and work your way down. There is a lot out there to satisfy just about every need.

If you decide to go with a known brand - you of course can't go wrong. And I am happy that you realize that you might have to throw it away in the event of a crash. Remember, all safety apparel has to do is save your life once. If it can do it again - great!

I hope this helps a bit. You are welcome to email me if you want more info.

WIM.

post #11 of 28 Old 02-07-2008, 04:06 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Most of my riding is one of two types. Either backroad carving or touring. I gave up city riding years ago, and sold off my leathers when I quit track riding a few years ago.

I wear mesh in the summer, and textile during the spring/fall times when it's colder. I also wear the textile when touring no matter what the temperature. I agree with Serge about backroad riding, at least the roads I typically run. I'll be in the ditch after the first impact.

You're doing the right thing asking questions, doing your own investigation and making your own decision. The local gear store salespeople aren't necessarily hired for their experience. You've seen that with the comment "If you ride a cruiser you don't need padding." BS. If you fall off you need padding.

Buy the best gear you can afford and get what you feel is the best protection for your money. Stretching the budget in this case isn't a bad move.

The other thing I'll add. Don't overlook the other items that are just as important. If you don't have a decent helmet, gloves and boots factor that in. In a mild getoff even minimal body covering can save some skin, but if you bust up your noggin, fingers or ankles you're still screwed.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #12 of 28 Old 02-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Unbannable

You may want to get a textile mesh jacket for the summer as well. When it's 80+ outside it's a must have.

post #13 of 28 Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 PM
919>food>beer

I will throw this out there too. I've heard the many stories of Joe Rocket jackets blowing out at the seams. Of course this was all after I bought mine, any way I had a lowside at about 45-50 mph. The jacket blew out on about three seams. However, it did do a supurb job of protecting me. My upper boby was unharmed but my knees and ankles were all tore up. Month and a half later I'm still healing. Definatly buy the best you can, but make sure you buy something that you'll wear!

post #14 of 28 Old 02-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
I will throw this out there too. I've heard the many stories of Joe Rocket jackets blowing out at the seams. Of course this was all after I bought mine, any way I had a lowside at about 45-50 mph. The jacket blew out on about three seams. However, it did do a supurb job of protecting me. My upper boby was unharmed but my knees and ankles were all tore up. Month and a half later I'm still healing. Definatly buy the best you can, but make sure you buy something that you'll wear!
I had a top end Joe Rocket jacket... sold it to a friend. He lowsided at about 25- 30mph and it blew out 3 different seams. junk.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #15 of 28 Old 02-08-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Interesting about the Joe Rocket stuff. Lots of up here in the Great White North if you go in a bike shop that is often all they stock. Lots of guys I know swear by it but then they have never taken a spill.... yet. I am partial to Alpinestars myself not for any particular reason.
I currently have an Alpine Star jacket that is a mesh textile mix. It is great for hot days and the liner is great for cold days. The trouble I see with this whole thing is that you never know 100% unless you take a spill.....on the flip side then it is too late to make a better decision....until the next spill. Not really something a guy wants to experiment on too many times!

Thanks for the input everyone!

post #16 of 28 Old 02-09-2008, 08:27 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassto View Post
The trouble I see with this whole thing is that you never know 100% unless you take a spill.....on the flip side then it is too late to make a better decision....until the next spill. Not really something a guy wants to experiment on too many times!
Absolutely right. There are a ton of factors that come into play when you go down. I went down wearing a Cortech Air mesh jacket at about 45 mph and it protected me well. Only failure point in the mesh was a golf ball sized hole on the back sholder blade area where I think a rock might have torn it.

Even though the mesh jacket worked, I replaced it with a full leather Spidi NRG. Don't want to tempt fate again and I'll deal with the heat. At least its usually a dry heat here in SoCal...

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #17 of 28 Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 

What size are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassto View Post
I need some straight answers here. I am tired of talking to the accessories department at the local bike shop.

If you have $200 they tell you a $200 jacket is great. If you have more $$ they tell you that $200 jacket is crap.

If you ride a cruiser you don't need elbow/shoulder pads, if you ride a sport bike you gotta have the padding.

I'm not gonna lie I can't afford a $600 leather jacket and I have a hard time justifying to myself that I should buy one when I can get a textile jacket and pants for like $300.

That being said..... life is precious and you can't live without skin so what is a guy to do? I don't want to buy something that is going to fail if I should go skidding down the road on my back.

Is is safe to assume that if it is a name brand product than it is going to do the job? If i have to throw it out after a crash so be it but at that time I need it to work.

I would appreciate any insight that you more experienced folks can provide!

Thanks!

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #18 of 28 Old 02-12-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post
What size are you?
I would have to double check but I think my Alpinestars is a XXL maybe a XXXL. I have long arms so it is tough for me to find stuff that fits arms but is not huge in the body.

post #19 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Milites Gregarius

Check out NJK Leathers on the web. If you buy one of their leather jackets for 290 bucks, you can get a textile or mesh jacket for free. I got thr leather Ghost in black and the mesh Breeze in black. The fit and finish is awesome. They have armor in the shoulders, elbows and back. I can't say enough good things about this company. Best of all, 2 jackets for $290.

post #20 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

go to a shop and try stuff on to see what fits. go to sandhillspowersports.com and buy it.

I got a $600 jacket for 340 there. everything is super cheap and they're awesome

2 > 4
post #21 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 09:06 PM
919 City Pilot

The local commute at 95-129 degees made the mesh a no brainer,,,

I have a Joe rocket and have low sided once, tore a minor seam on an arm pad....sewed it back up good to go.

solid panels zip on to make it comphy down into the mid 40's

post #22 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 10:25 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

I went down in a Joe Rocket mesh 2 years ago. It held up for the one crash. The only problem was the back slid up causing me to get road rash, and the sleeves didn't fit tight enough. Hit my elbow and the loose nylon slid giving me a burn. Now I ride an AStar leather. In all weather.

Whatever you get make sure it is tight. It will break in an fit snug. Stay away from Frank Thomas (mainly sold at Cycle Gear). Been told that the seems barely hold up if you think you are going down. I have been told that by everybody.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #23 of 28 Old 10-23-2008, 07:07 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Frank Thomas might be making a come back, they have new manufacturing now.

post #24 of 28 Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Tirone

I wear both textile and leather jackets, depending on the weather. I have no delusions about leather having more protection, but I also will not say that my perforated leather is anywhere near as comfortable at higher temps as my textile jacket is.

Before picking up a textile jacket, you absolutely must take a look at the material used. All textile is not equal and you don't necessarily have to pay out the rear for quality. Take a look at some average gear, such as Icon jackets. Icon won't tell you what material they use. Joe Rocket is the same. They use some sort of catchphrase supersecret material that make it impossible to quantify or compare. I don't like that, personally. Here are some links that I think are worth looking at on the matter.

Wikipedia - Ballistic Nylon
Wikipedia - Cordura
Tom Bihn Bags - What's the Difference Between Cordura and Ballistic Nylon?
Aerostich - The Straight Story on Kevlar (vs. Cordura) (they sell Cordura products)

I have the luxury of living near a great motorcycle gear shop - MotoLiberty. Many local riders literally interrupted me at the store several times on different visits just to sing the praises of a textile jacket's crash protection. That jacket is the Vanson VentMax 3, which features full CE armor at all points (shoulders, elbows, AND back), as well as 1000 Denier Cordura and leather underlays at elbows and shoulders for extra abrasion resistance. Priced around $150-$180, which is the same as any of the mainstream competition, it's really outstanding.

I love my leather, don't get me wrong, but I also love my textile.

post #25 of 28 Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
I wear both textile and leather jackets, depending on the weather. I have no delusions about leather having more protection, but I also will not say that my perforated leather is anywhere near as comfortable at higher temps as my textile jacket is.

Before picking up a textile jacket, you absolutely must take a look at the material used. All textile is not equal and you don't necessarily have to pay out the rear for quality. Take a look at some average gear, such as Icon jackets. Icon won't tell you what material they use. Joe Rocket is the same. They use some sort of catchphrase supersecret material that make it impossible to quantify or compare. I don't like that, personally. Here are some links that I think are worth looking at on the matter.

Wikipedia - Ballistic Nylon
Wikipedia - Cordura
Tom Bihn Bags - What's the Difference Between Cordura and Ballistic Nylon?
Aerostich - The Straight Story on Kevlar (vs. Cordura) (they sell Cordura products)

I have the luxury of living near a great motorcycle gear shop - MotoLiberty. Many local riders literally interrupted me at the store several times on different visits just to sing the praises of a textile jacket's crash protection. That jacket is the Vanson VentMax 3, which features full CE armor at all points (shoulders, elbows, AND back), as well as 1000 Denier Cordura and leather underlays at elbows and shoulders for extra abrasion resistance. Priced around $150-$180, which is the same as any of the mainstream competition, it's really outstanding.

I love my leather, don't get me wrong, but I also love my textile.
Great response Transient.

post #26 of 28 Old 11-12-2008, 11:19 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

i'm partial to the Icon Brand leather jakets, I havent Crash tested them yet , but i feel secure when i put mine on that i will be safe, also you can get nice ones on ebay for anywhere between 110 and 170 used.

post #27 of 28 Old 11-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

I wear the same gear on the street as i do on the track; leather and all the armour i can stuff under it. If you time it right you can get leather suites or jacket paints combos on closeout. That's how i buy all my gear. I couldn't afford it otherwise.

post #28 of 28 Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakin919 View Post
I wear the same gear on the street as i do on the track; leather and all the armour i can stuff under it. If you time it right you can get leather suites or jacket paints combos on closeout. That's how i buy all my gear. I couldn't afford it otherwise.
You wuss...... Just kidding. That is actually the best way to ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode