HJC-IS-16 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Steve

HJC-IS-16

I need a new helmet since my KBC VR-2R hit the pavement when I crashed the other day. I have been looking at helmetharbor.com and I came across the video for the HJC-IS-16 for $175.00. I ride everyday, morning and night and am constantly changing visors which is a pita on many helmets. This HJC has an internal sun visor that pops down when you push a button on the back. Pretty cool I thought. No more carrying around an extra visor in my bag. No more breaking off the little tabs that hold the visor on (like I've done several times.) And it's DOT only not SNELL which is a good thing from what I've read.

Not trying to start another helmet argument just wondering if anyone has any experience with an internal sun visor system. Pro's/con's....

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
Not trying to start another helmet argument just wondering if anyone has any experience with an internal sun visor system. Pro's/con's....

Steve
Yes I do, and they ROCK! I sport a Schuberth. Internal sun visors are a standard feature on most, if not all, of their lids. It's a great feature that, on the Schuberth, is easy to remove and clean, and works great. No worries about changing out visors. Just hit a button or slide, and it's there. I honestly do not know why more companies do not make this a standard feature on their helmets. I can't think of a single con.

HIGHLY recommended!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #3 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

This is just from what I have heard from others, not from real world experiences, as I do not have one of these.

Cons that I have heard of....extra weight, possible reduction in ventalation, some of the visors do not come down far enough and leave a line in your vision where the tach/speedo are at. I have looked at these too, but decided against them when shopping.

Shawn

2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE (Speedy - Street Bike)
2002 Suzuki GSX-R600 (Shamu - Track Bike)

post #4 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Tirone??

I agree. I have tried on the HJC, but the visor did not come down far enough, and left a line in my vision as scgstuff said. Scorpion makes a helmet with an internal shield, and it was much better than the HJC. This being said, every helmet fits different heads differently. I suggest that if you have some where around that carries different helmet brands, to test fit them on your head before ordering online.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #5 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 08:29 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotsteam View Post
...every helmet fits different heads differently. I suggest that if you have some where around that carries different helmet brands, to test fit them on your head before ordering online.
+1

I was wearing an AC-11 (see my avatar) and just recently replaced it with a CL-15 Surge (see below) that was on coseout.
...same brand, completely different fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg pswowinc_2063_210935418.jpeg (62.7 KB, 13 views)

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #6 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Tirone

I have the HJC IS-16 and recommend it very highly. I simply love the thing. The visor feature is incredibly useful. No drawbacks at all.

For those that say that the visor doesn't go down far enough, there are three settings. 1 is just below the level of the bottom of your eye, 2 is about the level of regular sunglasses, and 3 is all the way down to the nose guard/breath deflector. To get to the 3rd position you have to push the button down to click it into that last position.

$140 at newenough.

post #7 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Steve

Thanks for the input guys . I won't buy a helmet without trying it on first but that doesn't give you the whole story either. A helmet will feel a lot different after it's "broken in". I decide on several that look promising then go try them on at a dealer before I make my decision. My #1 complaint with helmets are the visor mechanisms so I am particulary interested in comments re the internal visor setup on any brand helmet.

Steve

post #8 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

For those that have them, when the visor is up (assumed between the liner and shell) does it block any ventalation? Texas tends to get fairly warm in the summer, so I would want a good bit of airflow and some of the comments I had heard, like I stated earlier, is it could block airflow. How big, if any, is this issue?

Shawn

2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE (Speedy - Street Bike)
2002 Suzuki GSX-R600 (Shamu - Track Bike)
post #9 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 AM

Hey man I have had both the HJC FS-10 as well as the Scorpion model and I have to tell you, go with the HJC.

My biggest thing was weight and as much as I love my old scorpion, the one's with the sun shield felt heavy as piss after a decent ride. The HJC is noticeably lighter and the shield comes down plenty far enough.

HJC all the way! I couldnt stress enough how convenient the sun visor is, not only does it provide obvious shade but i frequently like to ride around town with my shield up and sun visor down, solves the ventilation problem where its needed most

post #10 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Unbannable

The next helmet I buy will be one of those. Right now with my AC-11 I'll put my shades on under my helmet, but leave enough room on my forehead to shift them up at night. Easy to do at stoplights but challenging if you're on the freeway.

post #11 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 12:06 PM
ajg
Twisties only please.

I've got the scorpion helmet, exo1000, with the internal sun shield. It super comfortable, true to size, has air adjustable cheek pads (think reebok pumps, haha), solid ventilation, and never fogs up. The sun shield is great. The visor also can be locked into position a little raised for extra hot days. Its a little pricier than the hjc though. Although its dot & snell certified.

My only complaint is that its a little heavier than my previous helmet, the exo-400 but way more comfortable than the 400 so that makes up for the added weight it in my mind.

post #12 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i have a arai quantum with a light tinted shield... and a pair of oakleys... daytime i ride with the shades on inside the helmet.. and at night or in the am when i am going to work no shades just the lightly tinted shield....

works wonders....

post #13 of 29 Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
For those that have them, when the visor is up (assumed between the liner and shell) does it block any ventalation? Texas tends to get fairly warm in the summer, so I would want a good bit of airflow and some of the comments I had heard, like I stated earlier, is it could block airflow. How big, if any, is this issue?
This is a great question. I've worn a Shoei and a Schuberth. The Schuberth has a large collar (encapsulates their anti-roll off system) that blocks a lot of flow. With that in place, I can't compare the two. The Schuberth is a hot helmet, but I don't think it's because of the sun visor. With the visor down or up, the ventilation is the same.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #14 of 29 Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 PM
lamer

I tried on a few rkt101s to find out what size I needed, as from what I understand they're made by HJC, and then I ordered an IS-16 from newenough. Supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

post #15 of 29 Old 09-20-2009, 07:04 PM

I've had my IS-16 for about 2 months and I'm very happy with it. The sun visor works great for me, YMMV.

One thing, I ride a lot with the clear visor up, and one of the screws holding it loosened and fell out. check them if you buy one, I lock-tighted mine.

post #16 of 29 Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
I tried on a few rkt101s to find out what size I needed, as from what I understand they're made by HJC, and then I ordered an IS-16 from newenough. Supposed to be delivered tomorrow.
Please give a review!

post #17 of 29 Old 12-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Milites Gregarius

I like my IS-16.
Easy to adjust to changing light conditions while on the fly.
No need to stop to change visors or put on/remove sunglasses.

post #18 of 29 Old 12-26-2009, 08:39 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Why retire your old helmet just cuz it hit the deck? These have so much more personality. I don't know how many conversations Ol Lucky started.

If you just want a new lid, go for it. HJCs are relatively inexpensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ol lucky 004.jpg (106.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ol lucky 006.jpg (94.1 KB, 16 views)

post #19 of 29 Old 12-26-2009, 08:48 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I have a Nolan N-103, the flip up chinguard is a must for me, makes life much easier to put on the helmet without taking my glasses off. The internal sun visor covers perfectly, not too much or little. Also, it's the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. I plan to get the internal electronics next year, bluetooth with speakers and mic.

post #20 of 29 Old 12-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Why retire your old helmet just cuz it hit the deck? These have so much more personality. I don't know how many conversations Ol Lucky started.

If you just want a new lid, go for it. HJCs are relatively inexpensive.
Hey man ... i don't know if you're riding around with that helmet on or what ... but i just hope ya know that most helmet manufacturers highly recommend you replace a helmet thats hit the ground and suffered any damage in a wreck ...... they're only designed to take one good wreck :\ ... Its your helmet though man, just had to through my atcha ...

Hope everybody had a merry christmas ...

post #21 of 29 Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 AM

Aerostich sells a great adhesive shade, I have used them for a long time and they work great, they are like 15 bucks.

post #22 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Murphy thinks your #1

I have the the HJC IS-16 and i think its great. I almost always use the sun visior down and the main up. One good point about the sun visior is it keeps the bugs from hitting eyes/face. But i notice when the main is down not as many bug impacts.. weird

post #23 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Tirone

I also have the is-16 Nice helmet inner dark vizer is good also. Inner vizer alone causes some sun glare, just put down the outer and it goes away.

post #24 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 05:33 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

I have seen a helmet with the inside sun-visor for the first time 3 weeks ago, thanks to Rickard, I will get one of them for christmas, thanks to my girlfriend.
Like others have said, I can't wear the sunglasses under the helmet so I'm always changing visors. Which sucks when I go on long trips cause I have to bring both visors.

post #25 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 06:26 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

If you buy the HJC with inside visor, be careful buying on line. The lil extra space needed for the visor to retract makes your old size too tight. You may need to go up one size, I did.

[
post #26 of 29 Old 09-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I ride with the HJC IS-16 and have for most every day for 3+ months now. It's a great helmet for less than $200. The built in sun visor is far more convenient than changing shields. I paid $20 to change the cheek pads. I went down one size as the stock large pads were squeezing my cheeks too much. I was very skeptical when I bought it - thought the built in visor would break or something but so far so good.

post #27 of 29 Old 10-06-2010, 04:23 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISxMO View Post
Hey man I have had both the HJC FS-10 as well as the Scorpion model and I have to tell you, go with the HJC.

My biggest thing was weight and as much as I love my old scorpion, the one's with the sun shield felt heavy as piss after a decent ride. The HJC is noticeably lighter and the shield comes down plenty far enough.

HJC all the way! I couldnt stress enough how convenient the sun visor is, not only does it provide obvious shade but i frequently like to ride around town with my shield up and sun visor down, solves the ventilation problem where its needed most
because your hjc is not snell approved like the exo-1000

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #28 of 29 Old 10-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Is there room with the sun shade down to wear glasses underneath? I am legally required to wear them. I have the transition lenses and they work a little in the helmet but not as dark as sun glasses would be.

post #29 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Tirone

Definitely true that not all HJC helmets fit the same. In the last couple of weeks, I've tried on a bunch, and the only one that really fits me decently is the IS-16. The internal visor works fine with my glasses, by the way.

But I've not bought one, and I don't think I will. Why?

I really don't like the compromise HJC made for that internal shield. The sliding mechanism requires a long slot cut into the helmet shell, on the top / rear. I simply feel that slot can't help but weaken the helmet in that critical area. There's a reason why cheaper HJC helmets are Snell certified, and the IS-16 isn't. If there were just a small hole in the side, controlling the visor at the pivot point, I'd feel better about it, maybe. But as it stands, I'm not comfortable with the risk tradeoff the internal visor entails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode