Helmets! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Helmets!

No, this isn't about if you wear one, which I hope we all do. Pavement hurts. Anyway, anyone have a good homebrew way to clean the visor on my AGV? It says not to use Windex so I used a soap and water combo, but with the high humidity in Iowa, I fog over really easily. Can anyone help? Thanks.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

honda polish..... or plexus... just make sure its the stuff that smells like coconut...

and use a lint free rag.... i do this for all my faceshields and my oakley sunglasses.... no scratches and clean as a whistle....

post #3 of 31 Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

+1
Homebrew= shavecream

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills

post #4 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 04:10 AM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 

+1 again on the plexus/Honda polish (same thing different can) ....

post #5 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 04:49 AM
Discen

Wet toilet paper on the visor, let it sit there for something like 15 minutes, by that time all bug's fly's etc. are an easy clean off - just vipe the paper gently over the visor, and you are ready to go

post #6 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Ballaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oy05 View Post
Wet toilet paper on the visor, let it sit there for something like 15 minutes, by that time all bug's fly's etc. are an easy clean off - just vipe the paper gently over the visor, and you are ready to go
thats what i do. wet paper towel right after a ride and everything comes off super easy

post #7 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Cornicen

My AGV clear visor got so scratched up from wiping/scrubbing the crud off it was like riding in fog. Worse art night when there was oncoming traffic on high-beam. I was gonna spend for a new visor, till I tried buffing the scratches out with a buffer and some buffing compound. Crystal clear now, just like new!

post #8 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

wet paper towel here as well. Has worked for my old Bieffe, Shoei and now my AGV. The AGV is only 1 season old so I have yet to see if any scratches develop from it.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #9 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post
My AGV clear visor got so scratched up from wiping/scrubbing the crud off it was like riding in fog. Worse art night when there was oncoming traffic on high-beam. I was gonna spend for a new visor, till I tried buffing the scratches out with a buffer and some buffing compound. Crystal clear now, just like new!
really? Ive got a scratched up visor I would like to revive. What kind of buffing compound did you use, I wouldnt think this would work???

post #10 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Ballaholic

my suomy is about 4 seasons now and i got zero scratches from the paper towels

post #11 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
really? Ive got a scratched up visor I would like to revive. What kind of buffing compound did you use, I wouldnt think this would work???
I used the green compound on a felt wheel (medium hard). Same set-up I use for buffing stainless steels. Give it a try, worked a charm for me. I payed attention not to overheat the plastic though, so move from one spot to another fairly regularly till you get all the scratches buffed out. Mine was an AGV clear visor, not sure how it will work on a tinted or coated visor.

post #12 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 08:23 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I use EXPO dry erase board cleaner (mostly alcohol) at the office and it works awesome for cleaning. At the house, I use a microfiber towel and water to clean, then Honda Polish to finish it off.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Microfiber towel and novus plastic polish #1 I bought at the Harley store. 3.95

post #14 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post
I used the green compound on a felt wheel (medium hard). Same set-up I use for buffing stainless steels. Give it a try, worked a charm for me. I payed attention not to overheat the plastic though, so move from one spot to another fairly regularly till you get all the scratches buffed out. Mine was an AGV clear visor, not sure how it will work on a tinted or coated visor.
Yeah mines a shoei tinted and I bumped it on a rough wall and put 2 pretty significant scratches right in my line of sight. Nothing to lose I guess I'll give it a spin.... get it 'spin' (im a dork)

thanks.

post #15 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 10:27 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Update.

Obviously I'm not using a homebrew and I'm wondering about how seriously scratched up a visor must be to use an actual compound on. In 6+ years of riding I haven't needed to do anything more than spray and wipe after a ride.

or my miles really suck.

Anyway, novus is now 4.95 for an 8 oz pump (lasted me 5 years)
and I'm trying a new product called Bugslide. 8.00 for a 4 oz pump with m/f towel. But I bought a new bottle of the novus too. Yes, I succumbed to marketing when she said 20% off for both. whatever.

post #16 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 11:04 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

While we're on the topic of visors, why aren't tinted visors shatterproof ?

post #17 of 31 Old 06-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

What I want to know is if anyone here has tried the new Bluetooth helmets that keep popping up. I want one so bad so I can listen to music without any darn earplugs. They hurt my ears and are a pain in the A cuz all the cords...

post #18 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 09:18 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

i use this https://www.zooke.com/
the zwax is great anti-fog,hides scratches and small enough to fit in your pocket.

picked it up for the misses for her glasses at ny bike show. she loves it! and it works great on helmet visors

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #19 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
While we're on the topic of visors, why aren't tinted visors shatterproof ?
For that matter, why dont they transition..you know, get darker in the bright sun, lighter in shade or if overcast...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #20 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Microfiber cloth; wet it, throw it in the microwave and get it semi-steaming hot. Lay it on the visor for 5 minutes. Then easily wipe off.

The heat does wonders. Works just as well on the rest of the helmet, too.

A microfiber cloth works better, as paper fibers are actually quite abrasive and can scratch the plastic.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #21 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 05:46 PM
The Cripple

+1000 on plexus. use it to clean everything

post #22 of 31 Old 08-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
i use this https://www.zooke.com/
the zwax is great anti-fog,hides scratches and small enough to fit in your pocket.

picked it up for the misses for her glasses at ny bike show. she loves it! and it works great on helmet visors
If I remember correctly, I was with you at that show. The girl was standing on a box and had rather large breasts. The answer was hell yes I'll buy that stuff.

post #23 of 31 Old 08-05-2010, 07:32 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

there was a girl???

all i saw was the boobies!!!!!!!!!

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #24 of 31 Old 08-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Tirone

Warm water and dish soap. Take off the visor, run it under warm water, rub dishsoap in with your fingertips to get the bugs off, and do the same on the inside. Then dry with an old (clean) t-shirt. For some reason, the dishsoap keeps it from fogging up for several hours. Plus, you are less likely to scratch your visor. My Shoei lasted eight years with nary a cleaning scratch (yes, I know. You shouldn't keep a helmet for 8 years).

post #25 of 31 Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
McTavish

Visor Coating & Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonda1987 View Post
No, this isn't about if you wear one, which I hope we all do. Pavement hurts. Anyway, anyone have a good homebrew way to clean the visor on my AGV? It says not to use Windex so I used a soap and water combo, but with the high humidity in Iowa, I fog over really easily. Can anyone help? Thanks.
There is no one way, and above there are some time proven methods.

Here's another one that I have been using for the past 5 years :
Get some RainX, the stuff that is marketed for car windshields.
Coat your visor with it, and do the preclean with rubbing alcohol and a microfibre rag.
From now on, no cleaners, no soap, nothing but water needed.
I rinse mine off, visor still on helmet, under the the tap with the water as warm as I can comfortably handle.
I rub gently with my fingers.
Simple "dirt and grime" is easy to get off.
Dead bugs need more work.
A bit harder rub, some finger nail work on the "globs".
It all comes off.
Pat dry with a paper towel or whatever you have handy.
Buff with a microfibre cloth.
I'm still on my original faceshields - one clear, one dark, no scratches from cleaning.
If you have fairing with a screen on a sportbike, or a windshield on a touring bike, put RainX and that also.
Headlight surfaces as well.
Water blows off any surface with RainX on it, and it's super easy to clean.

post #26 of 31 Old 08-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
For that matter, why dont they transition..you know, get darker in the bright sun, lighter in shade or if overcast...
Check out Akuma helmets. Their carbon fiber helmet comes with a SWEET transition shield. Plus its probably the lightest helmet made. A friend of mine just bought one this Spring.

post #27 of 31 Old 08-31-2010, 09:04 PM
yzarc mi os

I just use a good soft towel like terry cloth and hot ater after I ride every thing comes right off as long as it hasn't sat for hours. none of my visors have scratches and my bike is my daily commuter.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #28 of 31 Old 09-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I am so fast, and my eyesight so keen, I dodge all the bugs with my head or do a Chuck Norris fistpunch with carbon knuckle guards before they ever get to me.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #29 of 31 Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I am so fast, and my eyesight so keen, I dodge all the bugs with my head or do a Chuck Norris fistpunch with carbon knuckle guards before they ever get to me.
Truth! I once saw him catch a bee at 100 MPH between his first finger and thumb. He ate the bee, then spit out the stinger and killed a beetle. All at 100 MPH.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #30 of 31 Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

For over 40 years I have been using a product called, Meguiars Mirror Glaze # 10 clear plastic polish. Can be found on the internet for around $10 bucks or any auto store.
I have visors that are 6 years plus and they look brand new.... I also use on the helmet and windscreen. Just a damp cloth and a little bit of this and the bugs come right off. It does take a little pratice to get the right amount and water combination jsut right, then just rub until it is clean. This product is also mil spec and used by the military to clean all of the jet fighter windshields. One squeeze bottle last for years...

post #31 of 31 Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Truth! I once saw him catch a bee at 100 MPH between his first finger and thumb. He ate the bee, then spit out the stinger and killed a beetle. All at 100 MPH.
That's impressive. Almost Jedi Reflexes.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode