Helmet Suggestions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

Helmet Suggestions

Hi folks, I am looking at replacing my at least 8 yr old HJC AC-10 helmet. I had a 3 yr riding hiatus so it was not used all those years, but the thing is super breezy even with all the vents closed and spec's on, my eyes tend to dry up. The visor also lifts when turning my head for lane changes above 60. -And the visor has been known to fall out of its connection point. I have to be careful when raising and lowering it.

So, I have been looking at ICON's, Bells, and AGV's. I would like a matte black one, and all three companies have offerings in my under $200 price range.

Just wanted to hear some perspectives from you all!

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 AM
yensyensen

I recently bought a Bell RS-1. I know that one is out of your budget but I really like mine. The visor has a lock on it and I hardly notice and wind noise compared to my last helmet which was a Fulmer. Good luck in your search.

Remember, if you have a $10 head buy a $10 helmet.

post #3 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Scorpion-e-bay.

Spoiler:

post #4 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Milites Gregarius

Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off - Motorcyclist magazine

I'm sure this will fire a debate, and I don't know what has changed since this article was published, but READ it and make up your own mind.

the above basically proves through testing that you want a helmet that isn't "Snell" approved due to their total overkill testing. Strangly enough it also shows the cheap-ass helmets (like the kind you get at Kragen for 50 bucks) are better than the expensive ones at protecting your head/brain. Wish I had read this before I picked up my HJC helmet (it was rated among the top "worst" in this article)

post #5 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 AM
yensyensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpit2003 View Post
Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off - Motorcyclist magazine

I'm sure this will fire a debate, and I don't know what has changed since this article was published, but READ it and make up your own mind.

the above basically proves through testing that you want a helmet that isn't "Snell" approved due to their total overkill testing. Strangly enough it also shows the cheap-ass helmets (like the kind you get at Kragen for 50 bucks) are better than the expensive ones at protecting your head/brain. Wish I had read this before I picked up my HJC helmet (it was rated among the top "worst" in this article)
This article is also 6 years old. I'm pretty sure the helmets and testing have changed quite a bit in that time.

post #6 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Milites Gregarius

The article set up their own way of testing helmets, one that they thought was a more real-world scenario. Fewer Gs = Less chance of brain injury

(my helmet)

HJC AC-11 (F)
Average: 204 Gs
LF: 195 gs
RF: 230 gs
LR: 231 gs
RR: 163 gs

VS a cheap-ass one:

Pep Boys Raider (P)
Average: 174 Gs
LF: 163 gs
RF: 199 gs
LR: 185 gs
RR: 152 gs

proving that a helmets price-tag doesn't mean anything.

post #7 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by yensyensen View Post
This article is also 6 years old. I'm pretty sure the helmets and testing have changed quite a bit in that time.
hope so. The Snell rebuttle to the article was very disapointing.
One thing that doesn't change in 6 years is how we fall off our motorcycles.

post #8 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Milites Gregarius

anyone know of a more recent helmet article ?
(hopefully one similar to the above, in which tests were conducted by a third-party w/ no reason to fudge anything)

post #9 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Don't wear my Shoei RF-1000 anymore.

Visor fogs WAY too easily, kinda noisy

Visor operation is great. Aerodynamics are second to none. Very little neck strain. Venting is useless. Replaced by RF-1100

Currently running an AGV Stealth. Bigger than the Shoei so aero is not quite as good. About the same noise. Visor is about the same but scratches easier. Venting is better than Shoei but helmet liner doesn't line up right. It's a $250-$300 helmet that I got at some noname closeout place for $185.

Wife is running an HJC somethingorother. Much quieter than either of mine, visor seems flimsier. About the same aero as my AGV. Don't wear it much so can't comment too much.

Basically, most people who try Scorpion like them, and they are inexpensive.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #10 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Revzilla has Scorpion on sale.

post #11 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Immune

Currently I'm using a HJC Carbon Vador. It's super light and comfy and doesn't fog. It is very noisy and windy.

Before that I was using an Icon Burner and it was heavy, uncomfortable, fogged and just basically sucked. They may not all be that way but that one was awful.

post #12 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Pilus Posterior

I've recently got a new HJC FS-15 and I'm very impressed with it. I actually imported it from the states as I picked it up for US$199 from Competition Accessories in a close out sale - they retail for $500NZ! Worth a look at their site as they have a lot of reduced prices on helmets.

Also Dennis Kirk sent me a email this week stating they have a HJC sale on - I noticed the FS-15 carbon was reduced. Hmmm carbon.

post #13 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Omnivore

I have the Scorpion EXO-1000 and like it a lot. It isn't the lightest or the smallest but, it works for me. Never have had a problem with fogging, and the pump-up cheek pads make for a good snug fit. The internal flip-down sun visor is pretty useful too. Decent bang for the buck.

post #14 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Milites Gregarius

shoei RF-1100 all the way. Low wind noise and excellent aerodynamics. The venting is great too. I couldnt be happier with the shoei.

The onlly issue i've ever had. When it was brand new, it would make a little bit of a whistling sound when riding. I adjusted the visor and the problem was gone.

post #15 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 06:27 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Well HC, I've got two icon mainframes and they're ok. But just ok. You can do better than icon. I'm sure of this.

post #16 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 06:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I like my Shoei Multitec flip-front pretty well, but at $485 I guess I should! If/when I replace it, I think I'd like a Shark Evoline 2, but that may be a year or two off yet. Scorpion helmets get excellent ratings from just about everybody, look into those. You can get an EXO-700 for a pretty decent price....they are great helmets (I used to have one, but it was too narrow for my round noggin).

Get out and shop around, get a feel for what fits you well and then start looking for the best price. Do some research...you'll spend a lot of time in your lid of choice, so don't make it an impulse buy! Have a look at Webbikeworld reviews, they have reviews on just about every major helmet offering there is, and the reviews are very extensive and real-world.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #17 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I've worn a Shoei RF-1000, Icon Mainframe, Joe Rocket Carbon Fiber & Scorpion EXO-1000 Apollo. The Shoei was very comfortable and quiet. The Icon was also comfortable & quiet and saved my noggin once. I did not like the Joe Rocket - too much wind noise and a lot of wind coming inside until I added a chin curtain. The Scorpion is comfortable and has good features but I get a lot of wind noise with it too. My overall pics would be Shoei & Icon.

post #18 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Tirone

I went from a HJC AC-11 to a Shoei RF-1100 last year. I really like the Shoei. No complaints about my HJC (I've had 2) but the Shoei is excellent quality.

post #19 of 40 Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Optio

I picked up a barely used Arai Quantum II off ebay for less than 200 that I'm happy with. Thing is, I have a small melon (size S or M, depending on helmet) and not as much competition for that size as for an L or XL helmet. Before this I tried a GMAX that was highly rated on the web for ventilation. It was okay, but I like the Arai much better.

post #20 of 40 Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Gets censored

I use shoei, ive had icon, hjc ect I keep going back to shoei. Matter of fact I just picked up sweet half helmet for those hot humid FL days. anyone else use a half ever? Cant go wrong with arai but I prefer shoei its one of those things you gotta try on.

post #21 of 40 Old 05-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Tirone

Check out motorcyclyst magazine online for the article blowing the lid off of the Snell foundations overkill standards. Also thehelmetharbor.com has great video reviews and weight charts of most popular helmets. I have bought a few helmets at their retail store in Az. Todd is very knowledgible on the subject. I have a Shoei rf1000. Its my favorite so far.

post #22 of 40 Old 05-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Tirone

I have 2 helmets for my daily rides, a Shoei Multitec (modular/flip-up) and a KBC fullface helmet.. Both fits well and I like them very much...

For my next helmet, I think I will go for another Shoei....

-RJ-

post #23 of 40 Old 05-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Optio

Garage
I have a odd shaped head. I tried on every helmet I could and found that the one that fit me best was the Arai Profile. It didn't put pressure on my forehead like most of the others I tried. Try on as many as you can and pick the one that fits you best in what you can afford.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #24 of 40 Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Gets censored

Arai and shoei are shaped different for sure

post #25 of 40 Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Arai and shoei are shaped different for sure
Different models fit differently - Arai Quantum vs Profile vs Corsair, Shoei RF1100 vs x12 vs Quest, etc.

Also, different markets have different fittings. A Shoei X11 for the US market fits different than those in the Euro market, as well as the Japanese market.

post #26 of 40 Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Suomy!!

post #27 of 40 Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Bike Bandit has Scorpion EXO1000 solids for $144 today only.

post #28 of 40 Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

wow great find, I have not been able to try any on yet though, and i do not have $144...so will have to wait. loving the matte black look though.

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #29 of 40 Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Suomy!!
I've had a Ventura, and 3 Spec1R Extremes. They were my favorite helmets for a while. Both models are towards the 'round' shaped heads.

post #30 of 40 Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Milites Gregarius

Had a scorpion EXO700 and thought it was heavy and hot.

Shark is the brand I check out. I had a RSF2 and it was a great helmet. Some POS cut the cable and stole it off the bike

AGV is also another favorite. Check out webbikeworld.com for lots of helmet reviews. They really like a recent AGV and it is about $180 on Ebay.

post #31 of 40 Old 05-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
I've had a Ventura, and 3 Spec1R Extremes. They were my favorite helmets for a while. Both models are towards the 'round' shaped heads.
Yep, i tried on loads of Helmets and the Suomy was the best fitting and most comfy. The only other similar helmet is Arai, which is super expensive in these parts.

post #32 of 40 Old 06-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Milites Gregarius

i am alive today because of my arai corsair it took a beating

post #33 of 40 Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 PM
MSF blacksheep

I have an icon alliance redeamer for wet weather and an icon airframe carbon lifeform for nice weather. The alliance come down farther below my chin to keep rain out better and the airframe carbon is lift and higher in the chin for easier head turns and mobility. Plus the venting works better wit the airframe.

I've had shoei and scorpion before but the new models don't fit my head aswell. Look for something that fits the crown of your head good and has swapable cheek pads so you can adjust fit accordingly.

post #34 of 40 Old 06-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Tirone

I have had cheap helemts before, the last one I owned was a Cycle Gear seven zero seven, Now I own a Shoei RF-1100.

The Shoei is the best helmet I have ever owned. With the Vents closed its quiet. With them open its average with noise. The biggest advantage of all is the ventilation. On some helmets I have owned even with all the vents open I couldn't even tell if they were open. HOWEVER with the RF-1100 I can have the vents open at 5mph and feel the airflow. While you are ridinig you literally feel the air in the canals in the top of the helmet and feel it going from front to back and towards your neck. Ventilation is SUPERB.

The issue I have found with Helmets is there is no middle ground in quality. Some cheaper helmets I have had only lasted a year. Some started having quality control issues after several months. There are only 2 types of helmets, cheap ones and then there are SHOEI, ARAI. These 2 brands actually use decent quality products to make them. HANDMADE, none of that assembly line crap.

Even when I was looking at a helmet that was around 350 from Icon, the build quality and the feel of the helmet still felt cheap. Then again, Icons are just fancy HJC's with a stupid hi mark up.

Go Here The Helmet Center Phoenix, AZ (623) 444-4789 This is a local store here in AZ that also has a ton of online reviews. The manager at the store chatted with me for over an hour when I was in there looking for my new Shoei (couldnt decide on design).

Anyways, point is do your self a favor and don't skimp on the most important piece of equipment in your arsenal. Get a Shoei or Arai. Not to mention both Shoei and Arai are always on top of EVERY new DOT and SNELL cert that comes out.

post #35 of 40 Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 PM
MSF blacksheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemlong View Post
I have had cheap helemts before, the last one I owned was a Cycle Gear seven zero seven, Now I own a Shoei RF-1100.

The Shoei is the best helmet I have ever owned. With the Vents closed its quiet. With them open its average with noise. The biggest advantage of all is the ventilation. On some helmets I have owned even with all the vents open I couldn't even tell if they were open. HOWEVER with the RF-1100 I can have the vents open at 5mph and feel the airflow. While you are ridinig you literally feel the air in the canals in the top of the helmet and feel it going from front to back and towards your neck. Ventilation is SUPERB.

The issue I have found with Helmets is there is no middle ground in quality. Some cheaper helmets I have had only lasted a year. Some started having quality control issues after several months. There are only 2 types of helmets, cheap ones and then there are SHOEI, ARAI. These 2 brands actually use decent quality products to make them. HANDMADE, none of that assembly line crap.

Even when I was looking at a helmet that was around 350 from Icon, the build quality and the feel of the helmet still felt cheap. Then again, Icons are just fancy HJC's with a stupid hi mark up.

Go Here The Helmet Center Phoenix, AZ (623) 444-4789 This is a local store here in AZ that also has a ton of online reviews. The manager at the store chatted with me for over an hour when I was in there looking for my new Shoei (couldnt decide on design).

Anyways, point is do your self a favor and don't skimp on the most important piece of equipment in your arsenal. Get a Shoei or Arai. Not to mention both Shoei and Arai are always on top of EVERY new DOT and SNELL cert that comes out.
I can concurs with this. Shoei and arai are great in evey aspect. Definately worth the money. I don't have one due to the change in shape of the fit. The icons just fit my head better.

post #36 of 40 Old 06-21-2011, 02:54 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I've had a Suomy Spec-1R, Shoei X-11, Shoei Syncrotec, and currently have a Shark RSI. The Suomy Spec-1R felt the lightest but was noisy, the X-11 did exceptionally well with wind resistance and was fairly quiet.

The Syncrotec is a modular, which was convenient when you've got to pull off somewhere for a break or gas. Also makes getting heard from under the helmet that much better. No need to take the helmet off, the down side was the weight. Neck fatigue would set in on long trips. The optics was top-notch though, definitely had the best opening to see the widest angle.

The Shark RSI, is light and quiet similarly to the X11, but not as quiet and not nearly as aerodynamic. It does have half the price tag and seem to held up real well for people when they've taken a spill.

I have a round shaped head, and the Shoei and Shark fits best.

post #37 of 40 Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Milites Gregarius

Have a scorpion EXO-700 and like it, but recently got an Icon Alliance Lucky Lid and love it. Got the gold mirrored shield, looks cool.

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!
post #38 of 40 Old 06-22-2011, 08:43 AM
MSF blacksheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H919rider View Post
Have a scorpion EXO-700 and like it, but recently got an Icon Alliance Lucky Lid and love it. Got the gold mirrored shield, looks cool.
That's the helmet my girl has ...

It looks nice

post #39 of 40 Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Tirone

I have a arai vector it sucks its noisy the face sheild broke the liner inside is all frayed and ive only had bearly 2 years

post #40 of 40 Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemlong View Post

i agree with this in the 27 years of street, dirt, roadracing, dragracing, sand dragging, hairscrambles, mx racing, and dual sporting ive done ive had a crap ton of helmets, my favorites are arai, OGK, and shoei, ive had many of the cheaper ones to and they just suck as far as quality, i had a 130mph high side on the last lap of a race at grattan with a hjc cl (ehhh cant remember the number i think it was a cl 11-14) yea it protected my head i had no head injurys but holy crap was it junk compaired to my arai and the shoei i replaced it with. as far as the best cooling that would be my OGK areo blade lots and i mean lots of top inlet and out let ports, but it was noisey because of that, next would be my arai corsair then my ogk ff3. currently i probably have over 10 helmets.

i like to use the phrase "how much is your head worth to you, go buy that helmet".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode