Helmet Sale - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Helmet Sale

Yes, I'm a cheap ass (graduate student living on a budget). I bought my previous EXO 1000 on a screamin NYE sale for $99 a number of years ago. Since then the visor has been replaced several times, the helmet has gotten dropped, scratched, etc. Vents broke, liner is breaking, etc. I've used it A LOT and more than got my money's worth out of it. The last track day indicated to me that the helmet was starting to get a bit too loose, the neck skirt had cracked too much and was scratching and a few other minor issues. I was hard pressed to buy a new helmet since I knew it would be hard to beat the $99 deal I got on a then $400 helmet.

Today, I got an email saying there was an EXO-1000 close out for $54.99. Huh? What?! Found only ONE color in my size (XL), and bought it before I even had a chance to say anything to the wife. Just simply too good of a deal and I'm stoked that I was able to get another helmet on a budget. As tight as funds are right now, I know my wife will support me 100% on this purchase.

Check out the close-outs and see what tickles your fancy.

Scorpion EXO-1000 Helmets $124.95 from SportbikeTrackGear.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 01:52 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I love Scorpion helmets. I own quite a few of them & $55 is too good to pass up if they have your size!!!!

Recently picked up another Suomy Vandal too

& a great friend of mine just bought me this SHOEI Qwest to match my riding jacket

post #3 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

That qwest is badass dude.

I've been wanting to try Suomy but I just don't think they fit my head well enough sadly.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 02:08 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

With rare exception I believe any brand of helmet will fit most any head shape as long as the proper size is selected. Years ago I believed in the whole SHOEI head versus ARAI shaped head etc, but over the years I have amassed a small army of helmets from various manufacturers from Arai to Vemar and I could always find one to fit comfortably when given the time to test fit them all.

post #5 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Do the sizes run pretty true on the scorpion helmets? Conor's ready for a new lid and that's a great price ( I live for bargain bin closeouts)

Dan
post #6 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 02:17 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Honestly I do not recall how the sizing runs on them. Sad too considering I have 3 EXO700 & 1 EXO400 in my helmet closet right this second, must be mad cow disease...

post #7 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
With rare exception I believe any brand of helmet will fit most any head shape as long as the proper size is selected. Years ago I believed in the whole SHOEI head versus ARAI shaped head etc, but over the years I have amassed a small army of helmets from various manufacturers from Arai to Vemar and I could always find one to fit comfortably when given the time to test fit them all.
Then I must be that rare exception

Cracked my head open when I was 2, had bone shavings placed on top of the skull where the break happened which resulted in more of an egg shaped top. To give you a visual, I can't balance a book on top of my head to save my life

post #8 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I always knew there was something wrong with you...

post #9 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Omnivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Do the sizes run pretty true on the scorpion helmets? Conor's ready for a new lid and that's a great price ( I live for bargain bin closeouts)
I ordered an exo 1000 from Competition Accessories a few years ago, and I just went by their sizing chart... fit perfectly.

post #10 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 02:53 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Smokin deal! I remember when they were on sale last year for $89 and though that was a fantastic deal. $59 is a no brainer

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #11 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Road Pilot

Garage
post #12 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Anyone have recommendations for quiet helmets? I upgraded last year from my 5 yr old Shoei TZR to a brand new RF1100, first time I spent so much on a helmet. I find it very loud compared to the TZR. I have adjusted the shield multiple times to no avail. The shield also doesn't sit flush with the rubber gaskets on the helmet & there is ALWAYS this annoying whistling sound which drives me nuts. Yes, I wear ear plugs & most of the time on my commutes I either have my music on or I am listening to an audio book.

post #13 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

My brand new Qwest shown above is noisier than my old TZR

post #14 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Ginger-prick

Girlfriend got me a Scorpion helmet for my birthday in July. Best helmet I've ever owned.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Anyone have recommendations for quiet helmets? I upgraded last year from my 5 yr old Shoei TZR to a brand new RF1100, first time I spent so much on a helmet. I find it very loud compared to the TZR. I have adjusted the shield multiple times to no avail. The shield also doesn't sit flush with the rubber gaskets on the helmet & there is ALWAYS this annoying whistling sound which drives me nuts. Yes, I wear ear plugs & most of the time on my commutes I either have my music on or I am listening to an audio book.
To adjust the CW-1 shield properly on Qwest or RF1100 you need a sacrificial shield: drill holes where the plate screws are and adjust the screws for the shield to fit flush to the gasket. I tried without the holes and I screwed it up more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
My brand new Qwest shown above is noisier than my old TZR

I have a Qwest and a RF1100. I find Quest noisier. I like the RF1100 more for air flow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode