Heated Gloves or Grips? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 09-20-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Heated Gloves or Grips?

Your opinions please!

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Princeps Prior

I currently have a Gerbings heated vest & temp controller. They also make gloves that will daisy chain into the liner/vest.

I can ride in 35 degree weather no problem.... and I don't have the plugin heated gloves yet. If it were me, I'd rather have the heat inside of your gloves, instead of having it on the outside.

If you think about it..... its all about cost. A liner, gloves, temp controller will run you about $200.... you can get cheap heated grips for around $40.

post #3 of 18 Old 09-20-2010, 12:35 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Arctic is a wise man.

Another point to be made is the convenience of heated grips. I used mine once this year when I got caught out after sundown on an unexpectedly cold evening...at highway speed. It was in the high 80s during the day so I was in my mesh pants and jacket. It's very safe to say I wouldn't have had my heated gear with me that day

post #4 of 18 Old 09-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Princeps Prior

Lol.....good point.

Buy both.

post #5 of 18 Old 09-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Have you considered getting hand guards for just the winter? They may look kind of ugly, but they deflect the wind which is the main reason why your hands get cold.

Heated grips sound nice, but make sure you can vary the heat level. Several posts I have seen on the subject usually describe simple high / low settings and nothing comfortable in between.

post #6 of 18 Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

+1 on the hand guards! No need to wire and you can take them off come the warmer months. A nice set from Barkbusters..check this thread

post #7 of 18 Old 09-20-2010, 03:01 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
Arctic is a wise man.

Another point to be made is the convenience of heated grips. I used mine once this year when I got caught out after sundown on an unexpectedly cold evening...at highway speed. It was in the high 80s during the day so I was in my mesh pants and jacket. It's very safe to say I wouldn't have had my heated gear with me that day
+1, it's nice to have heated grips for chilly mornings and evenings, they're the type of thing that once you have them you'll use them more often where you might not stop to put gloves on(if you have them with you).

post #8 of 18 Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

One bike: grips and guards.

More than one bike: gloves.

Economically more feasible in my book.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #9 of 18 Old 09-20-2010, 05:47 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

I have guards too...

post #10 of 18 Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Milites Gregarius

I just installed hand guards on my 09 Bandit.
I ordered 1000 VStrom ones. They fit perfectly.
I haven't tested them in cold weather yet.

Jeff

09 Bandit 1250
post #11 of 18 Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Tirone

I have the gerbings gloves, and I've been good as far down as 10 - 15 degrees... depends on the rider also though...

post #12 of 18 Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I think I will go both.....eventualy. The grips might be more important at this time.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

I've had all discussed and if the budget allows get both! Love the heated grips in rainy cool days! And some gloves only heat the back of your hands and that leaves the grips to do the rest! I've also had guards they help but no where near the experience of a heated jacket liner!!! After the purchase I wondered why I hadn't dine it before!!!!!

post #14 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
+1 on the hand guards! No need to wire and you can take them off come the warmer months. A nice set from Barkbusters..check this thread
I've got the BarkBuster storms on my 9er now and rode all winter wearing my regular summer gloves, of course it doesn't get as cold here but they do help alot. The coldest ride to work last winter was 38 degrees with 87% humidity, it was chilly but my fingers didn't feel like they were going to snap off when I got to work.

Dan
post #15 of 18 Old 09-25-2010, 07:03 AM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

+1 on the heated grips. Been caught out at night with light gear on and the heated grips made the ride home bearable !!

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #16 of 18 Old 10-13-2010, 07:49 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Great info guys. It's starting to cool down around here as well. Maybe I'm not as much of a die-hard cold weather rider as you, but my less expensive solution to cold hands was to pick up a pair of 3M Thinsulate wind-proof ski gloves from the local big box store. Combine that with a decent neck gaiter or balaclava and I'm set for long distances in the mid to upper 40s.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Tirone

I think we've hashed this out before.

I've had heated grips on a couple of my bikes for years. They are great for in town riding and also when it's not too cold.

Problem is you can pretty much burn the inside of your hand and still freeze the outside. I think the "hand guards" would be a big help but if you're going to ride any distance when it's colder than say 45F the heated gloves would be the way to go for sure.

Also, I would pass on the recreational (ski) gloves for motorcycling as I need my hands for other things too.

post #18 of 18 Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Tirone

Gloves or grips? Yes.

Really, I guess it depends on how cold you'll be riding in. Heated grips do a good job of warming the insides of your hands, until you reach out to the clutch or brake lever, which removes your fingers from the heat source (and which are ice cold, and suck the heat right out of your gloves).

Heated gloves do a great job of warming the backs of your hands, where you need it most, since that's what's exposed to the wind. But my Gerbings, at least, have a lot less heat in the inside of the fingers, and none in the palm.

OTOH, the grips are always there, you can't forget them.

I have both, and the combination is wonderful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode