GPS solutions for route following, and not routine turn by turn stuff - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

GPS solutions for route following, and not routine turn by turn stuff

Some of you may have more experience with this but I am looking for a way to use a pre-programmed route via GPS type setup (or at least GPS on an android or iphone device). I know I can use GPS to follow directions but what I am looking for is a way to pre-program a route that someone has given me or used before and then have the device follow those instructions, instead of using it's normal route finding process. A lot of times the GPS on phones goes by quickest or shortest distance and ends up routing me around a lot of the great riding roads.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-21-2012, 12:58 AM
CB900

Ive plotted a map before using google maps, emailed it to my iPhone, then used google maps for an overhead view. There may be a way of saving it in another format that other GPS can read. Im trying out an android at the moment, maybe its spoken navigation program will allow these preset routes, I'll have to try it out.

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #3 of 20 Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

With a hiking/outdoor type of GPS, you're able to pre-program waypoints on a PC via USB cable. These same GPS can be used with street maps (separate purchase). I take it you can put the two and two together for a predetermined route.

I have a Garmin 60csx which is able to do both functions. Just never put the two together. Might have better luck looking that route.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller

post #4 of 20 Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 AM
just send it.

Garage
I've been looking for a similar solution. I'd really like offline maps, and a way to create specific routes.

So far, I haven't been able to find free software to do both. Here is a rundown on the Android apps I've tried.
1. Google Maps
PROS:
- Free
- Can create a map on the PC and send it to your phone
- Offline maps (although very limited and you may still need data for searching)
CONS:
- No Multipoint navigation (custom routes)
2. MapQuest
PROS:
- Free
- Multipoint navagation
CONS:
- No offline navigation
- Cannot create route on PC and send to phone
3. CoPilot
PROS:
- Free (app is free, but you have to pay per feature)
- Offline Navigation
- Multipoint Navigation
CONS:
- basic features you want cost money (e.g. ability to save a route)
- Cannot create a route on PC and send to phone
4. Sygic
PROS:
- Free to try
- Offline Navigation
- Multipoint Navigation
- Nice map GUI
CONS:
- Only 7 day trial
- Crappy searching feature

[This space for rent]
post #5 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Milites Gregarius

What about using a car gps? I use a garmin nuvi, an old one too and I can add any number of addresses as way points. Pick your final destination, add waypoints along the route you wish to take. You can save a bunch of routes, and can search routes, pick backroads, highways what have you. I picked up a waterproof cover for mine, and a marine grade cigarette lighter plug on ebay or Amazon. The plug is a simple 2 wire setup with an inline fuse, glass style, and mounts on your handlebar or frame. I'm sure you could mount it anywhere you wanted though. The gps mount came with a handle bar mount but it was cheap. I ended up getting a cup holder from gander mountain with a bar mount, suction cup mount, and Velcro strap that I can screw the waterproof cover onto. That gives you a ton of options on mounting within easy view while riding.

A little hard to hear it talking if your bike is loud but its a plainly visible route on screen.

Hope that helps. Any questions on what I picked up to fo this or where I got them feel free to ask

post #6 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Doesn't allow for pre-programming a route on google maps or things and such....

I already have one.

post #7 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Milites Gregarius

The newer Garmins can do that. I belive you may need to go to the garmin site to download the route to your gps but its possible and it gives you some flexibility in no cell zones. You can always get the sat signal.

post #8 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Omnivore

I use a garmin that you can upload routes to (zumo). I use the garmin base camp software to create routes and upload them to the GPS.

You can also create routes in google maps, download it as a KML file and open in google earth. From there you can save it as a KMZ file that is readable by many different devices.

I have had good results both ways.

post #9 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Imaginifer

Zumo

I've been using a Garmin Zumo 660 for the last 4 years and it is fantastic. I currently have it hardwired on my 919. There's nothing like it when you want to lay out a custom route going from anywhere to anywhere else filled in with as many waypoints as you want. Completely weatherproof and easy to read and use, day or night. I don't use the audio on it, but it can communicate via Bluetooth to a helmet device like a Scala Rider if you want someone telling you turn-by-turn instructions. Add an XM antenna and pipe in tunes too. Pricey, but worth every penny when you find yourself lost, at dusk, in the rain, hundreds of miles from home.

"Keep on 9-in"

post #10 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetMan View Post
I've been using a Garmin Zumo 660 for the last 4 years and it is fantastic. I currently have it hardwired on my 919. There's nothing like it when you want to lay out a custom route going from anywhere to anywhere else filled in with as many waypoints as you want. Completely weatherproof and easy to read and use, day or night. I don't use the audio on it, but it can communicate via Bluetooth to a helmet device like a Scala Rider if you want someone telling you turn-by-turn instructions. Add an XM antenna and pipe in tunes too. Pricey, but worth every penny when you find yourself lost, at dusk, in the rain, hundreds of miles from home.
Or low on gas in the middle of nowhere lmao.

post #11 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

I appreciate the info and ideas guys. It's that time of year where my idea of riding is on hold. I respect you guys that do it all year but if it's under 60 I more or less say screw it, but mainly because I just have not spent time finding any riding gear that will allow for colder weather. I'll probably get on it next year but for now I got a project bike that is demanding to be finished first and that is where all the spare change goes for now.

post #12 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Milites Gregarius

If your looking for good gear fairly cheap check out places like Amazon.com and leatherup.com. ill ride most of the year when my bike isn't pulled apart and I'm from pa. I just use a 3/4helmet and a neoprene face mask, good water proof gauntlets, med weight chaps and a good heavy coat. Nothing fancy just good windbreakers over everything

post #13 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Yeah I just have a few pans in the fire that are taking a higher priority right now. You know how it goes. I figure I'm better off getting my Hawk finished and then I'll have a choice of what to ride once spring comes back around,

post #14 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Milites Gregarius

Oh yeah lol. Its like 60 here but I had the bike tore down for paint, so I missed the first ride of 2013 lol.
Are both your bikes cruisers?

post #15 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

No, one is an 07 Honda 919 and the other is a 88 Honda Hawk. There both the naked street bike types but I've been doing some pretty substantial mods on the Hawk. I'm hoping to finish it this spring and then take it out to some twisties and give it a good shake down run. It's not a super sport or anything but it's just a really good handling bike and the upgrades I'm working on all involve weight reduction and better suspension and braking, which will just help the handling even more.

Here is a link to the album for the Hawk. Keep in mind its a work in progress. I still have to do some more cleaning on the frame and stuff. I'm just mocking up parts and trying to take the best of some other bikes and incorporate it into the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1002308...lueBikeProject

post #16 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Milites Gregarius

Ah. I'm not real familiar with honda bikes, is the hawk part of the "sportcruiser" sect? If so I see what your talking about as I run an old maxim 650.

post #17 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Totally not cruisers. Think... sport bikes with no fairings and a little more upright position.

post #18 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Milites Gregarius

Ah. So more sport but not full on rocket lol. I never could get comfortable on rockets

post #19 of 20 Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer68 View Post
Ah. So more sport but not full on rocket lol. I never could get comfortable on rockets
Yeah I am pretty sure if I rode one for very long my back would be singing a song.

post #20 of 20 Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Milites Gregarius

Not so much the back as your arms lol. All your weight is on your arms and hands. Watch a guy on a long run riding a rocket, the lean back, stand up, do a little dance lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode