Got me a Shoei RF-1000 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 09-24-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Got me a Shoei RF-1000

Got me a new Shoei RF-1000 today. 1st impressions are good. It's pretty light and has excellent peripheral vision. It's cut higher around the opening to allow you to turn your head easier and the visor system seems solid. So far I am liking it. It's definitely an upgrade from my KBC. Here's a couple pics...

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0759.JPG (73.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg shoei.JPG (65.5 KB, 8 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Hi Steve
My big fat head prefers Shoei to other brands. I have the rf1000 too and really like it. I bought silver because it was on sale, my Bandit is silver, and I hoped it might reflect sunlight more than a dark color.
My last shoei was a rf900 with the picotte (angry clown) graphic. Over the winter when the play money replenishes I might try to find a picotte rf1000.
Before the 900 I had a rf200 for 15 yrs.

post #3 of 8 Old 09-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Immune

I tried a shoei RF1000 couple of weeks ago, cycle gear is running a sale on the RF1000. I loved the helmet but I felt like it was a little short in height, I felt that the bottom of my chin was sticking out of the helmet, I don't think I have excessively large chin but who knows? I opted to buy a scorpion EXO1000 instead. great looking helmet , but looks were deceiving .
the sizing is definitely wrong , according to their chart I should be a size "L". and I do wear size "L" in other brands too , but the scorpion had such thin foam that it felt like my head was being squeezed in some kind of torture device, specially around the temple area , the pressure was so much that I started to feel faint and thought I was going to black out , during a two hour ride. then there is a noxious chemical smell that emits from the ball pump thingy right under your nose. I work with solvents and lacquers etc , but this smell was intolerable to me even with the visor half open. there were many other things that I found to be less than desirable. So Scorpion went back and I got a HJC FS15, instead, I tell you this by far one of the best helmets , specially since you can pick one up for under $200. I am vary happy with it.
Sorry about the long rant , I thought this might help anybody, considering to get a EXO1000.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-25-2009, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Steve

[QUOTE=mantelhonda;355359]I tried a shoei RF1000 couple of weeks ago, cycle gear is running a sale on the RF1000. I loved the helmet but I felt like it was a little short in height, I felt that the bottom of my chin was sticking out of the helmet, I don't think I have excessively large chin but who knows?

I thought the same thing at first but it is designed that way to make it easier to turn your head, especialy while wearing an armored jacket. My KBC helmet would always catch on the shoulder aromor of my jacket when I turned my head because it came down so far. It's a lot easier to do a quick check behind you with the shoei. The other thing I really like about it is the way the visor openening is cut for maximum peripheral vision. It just seems like a very solid feeling helmet all the way around.

Steve

post #5 of 8 Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 AM
CG

Does anyone know how close the RF-1000 in the solid red (wine?) color matches the red 919 color?

I'm actually waiting for the RF-1100 to come out but I think they might have the same color choices. If they have a red that is a close match, I'll probably go with that color.

post #6 of 8 Old 09-25-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
Does anyone know how close the RF-1000 in the solid red (wine?) color matches the red 919 color?

I'm actually waiting for the RF-1100 to come out but I think they might have the same color choices. If they have a red that is a close match, I'll probably go with that color.
I haven't seen the colors yet for the RF-1100's but their new X-11 has a color called monza red which is nothing like the 919 wine red. You can pick up a sweet deal on a RF-1000 now since the RF-1100's are about to hit the stores. I got mine for $279.

Steve

post #7 of 8 Old 09-25-2009, 07:26 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I have the RF-1000 in titanium (i think) except for the shine it matches my smoke '03 perfectly. A tip for anyone having the little plastic mechanism screws coming loose, a couple of winds of teflon tape on the screws works perfectly.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #8 of 8 Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Immune

[QUOTE=Mayday;355446]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantelhonda View Post
I tried a shoei RF1000 couple of weeks ago, cycle gear is running a sale on the RF1000. I loved the helmet but I felt like it was a little short in height, I felt that the bottom of my chin was sticking out of the helmet, I don't think I have excessively large chin but who knows?

I thought the same thing at first but it is designed that way to make it easier to turn your head, especialy while wearing an armored jacket. My KBC helmet would always catch on the shoulder aromor of my jacket when I turned my head because it came down so far. It's a lot easier to do a quick check behind you with the shoei. The other thing I really like about it is the way the visor openening is cut for maximum peripheral vision. It just seems like a very solid feeling helmet all the way around.

Steve
you learn some thing new every day , had I known this before, I would have gone with shoei for sure . The salesman at "cycle gear" never mentioned it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode