GMAX GM68S any opinions? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 02-08-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Tirone is the Cool Dude

GMAX GM68S any opinions?

Has anyone seen this one and have any opinions? This was highly reviewed on Web Bike World.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Looks like a good helmet but who knows. I like the Shoei RF1000 and the Arai Quantum-2 myself.

http://webbikeworld.magnify.net/item/7V1C21ZNDC4LT652
http://webbikeworld.magnify.net/item/7V1C21ZNDC4LT652

post #3 of 27 Old 04-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Tire abuser

Helmets

I sold a lot of helmets (HJC, Icon, Arai, G-Max, etc.) and I there's basically only two types of helmet: the cheaper brands, that are mostly the house-brands of the big M/C suppliers (for example, HJC and Icon are Parts Unlimited/Parts Canada house brands) that are pretty much all made in China; and the 'high-end' brands (Shoei, Arai, Suomy) that are not made in China. Basically, if you have $100-$150 to spend, find the best-looking and best-fitting Chinese helmet. If you have $300 to spend, buy a solid-colour, base-model Arai or Shoei instead of a fancy graphics Icon or HJC.

Don't get me wrong - the cheap brands are very safe if you get one that fits your right; it's just the details (faceshield hinges, inner lining, quality control, etc.) that are better on the high-end models. But I've ridden Chinese dirtbikes and I've ridden Japanese and Euro dirtbikes, and based on that experience alone, I would say try to find a helmet that isn't made in China if you have the option. Their quality control sucks, and I'd hate to have a helmet that falls apart like a Chinese pitbike.

Having said all that, I had a full-face HJC that definitely saved my face, if not my life, in a moderate-speed (70 km/h) street accident (cut off by left-turning car, clipped the rear bumper, and face-planted). The faceshield and chinbar had 1/4"-deep gouges running down the front, but I was fine.

post #4 of 27 Old 04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Tire abuser

Helmet-fitting hint

Another unsolicited piece of advice from this forum-noob:
The cheek pads in almost all full-face helmets snap in, and are interchangeable with other sizes of the same model of helmet. So if you find a helmet that fits well around the skull, but squeezes your cheeks like an over-enthusiastic grandma, pop the cheek pads out and put in a pair from a larger helmet. The thickness of the pad is often put on the back of the pad, too, to help you compare. The easiest way to do this is just to exchange the pads with another helmet on the rack, but you can order the cheek pads, too.

Skulls come in a lot of shapes. I like to protect mine because that's where I keep my brains. (I assume the squids in t-shirts are at least wearing a jock, for the same reason.)

post #5 of 27 Old 04-04-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone is the Cool Dude

Thanks....

I have a Shoei rf-1000 myself, I was looking for an inexpensive helmet for my 14 year old nephew (for his birthday) so that he could take a ride around the block (as a pillion). I thought that he might think the lites are cool and he probably would outgrow it soon as he is still growing. Any further thoughts? Thanks.

post #6 of 27 Old 07-23-2008, 04:51 AM

HJC is made in Korea.

post #7 of 27 Old 11-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Tirone

Just a quick comment - mirrored in the comments of the WBW review and confirmed from viewing the helmet in person. The EPS liner (ie, impact absorbing foam) does not extend below the ear at all. So, hopefully you don't have a lower impact with that helmet. Not sure why WBW never responded to that comment or adjusted their review at all. Sometimes, I think their reviews are seriously questionable.

post #8 of 27 Old 11-12-2008, 11:45 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I've got a GMAX 68s in the Matte titanium crusader finish. This helmet is better than both my Shoei and Bieffe helmets I had before. The Shoei was really heavy, and the Bieffe was uncomfortable and noisy.

It's affordable, comfortable, properly sized and shaped, well ventilated and easy to seal up for cold weather riding. I'll have to check when I get to the house, but my helmet has impact foam all the way down the back for sure, and it is quite thick around the ears as well. The ear opening are larger than most helmets I've tried on, but I do think the protection is still there.

As for the details, the visor has several positions and each one locks in quite firmly. The visor makes a great seal as do all the vents. I've ridden in the rain a few times and haven't had a drop in the helmet.

The lights are kinda cheesy, maybe a good idea if it could be linked to the taillight, but you can't see when it is on, or tell when you have pressed the button so I just put the dark smoked lens on and leave it off unless I'm riding in the fog or rain.

I've used my GMAX helmet now for over 3 months and love it.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

forgot to add... The helmet shell is actually only made in a few sizes and the entire liner can be removed quite easily and swapped out for a different size. The cheek pads come out first, then the CoolMax liner comes out after that. If he has a medium head now, I think you could order the large liner and it should fit. I'd call the manufacturer directly to verify this.

This helmet is selling quite well. I called all over the US including the only 2 suppliers and they were totally sold out. I ended up ordering mine from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

post #10 of 27 Old 11-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I'll have to check when I get to the house, but my helmet has impact foam all the way down the back for sure, and it is quite thick around the ears as well.
That's interesting. Maybe they've updated it since the WBW review and the models that I saw at my local shop? Who knows. I remember vividly the surprise of seeing the impact foam just... stop. Glad it's not the case on yours.

post #11 of 27 Old 11-13-2008, 04:50 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I just looked at my helmet and the thick (1 inch or so) foam starts at the top of the visor, drops level with the top of the ear, then curves down behind the ear and runs all the way around the bottom at the back. Under and in front of the ears, it is not as thick. You are correct that the impact foam does not go all the way down. I looked at my Motocross helmet and it appears to be built the same way.

post #12 of 27 Old 04-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Imaginifer

I also have the Gmax 68 (sounds like the same one CM has). It is a very well made helmet. It was the most comfortable helmet I could find. Fit and finish are excellent and the visor is quality and easy to operate with gloves on. The vents work exceptionally well and are easy to close and open (when you remember which way is closed and which way is open). The High impact foam does not go below the ears, however it does go down all the way on the back of the helmet. My only fault with the helmet is that it is too easy to bump the LED on button and not know it.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #13 of 27 Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc919er View Post
I also have the Gmax 68 (sounds like the same one CM has). It is a very well made helmet. It was the most comfortable helmet I could find. Fit and finish are excellent and the visor is quality and easy to operate with gloves on. The vents work exceptionally well and are easy to close and open (when you remember which way is closed and which way is open). The High impact foam does not go below the ears, however it does go down all the way on the back of the helmet. My only fault with the helmet is that it is too easy to bump the LED on button and not know it.
I just took the batteries out of the LED thing. I got tired of walking in the garage ofter a ride and seeing red flashing lights. I think the idea of the LED lights is good, but the execution of the button was poor. It needed to be a button that gave you a satisfying click each time you pressed it and somehow a different sound when it went off. The smoke lens is on mine and I just treat it like a normal helmet.

post #14 of 27 Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Imaginifer

I ride at night some, because I work a 6 to 6 shift. I use the clear shield most of the time and liked the idea of the LED light for a little extra safety. They should have made the button recessed maybe. Another small fault on mine is when I moved my head to the side, sometimes I get a whistling sound. All in all...very good quality. I tried to download a picture but not sure I know what I'm doing

post #15 of 27 Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Here's the one I have.

post #16 of 27 Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Imaginifer

Let's try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1397.JPG (191.3 KB, 17 views)

post #17 of 27 Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

looks like you have the glossy version of mine.

post #18 of 27 Old 04-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

Interesting.

I wonder about the ventilation...looks like it might work better w/ the upright seating position of the 9r. I know my shoei and other helmets work best w/ head tilted down like I'm riding an RR type bike.

I very much like the idea of LEDs to have for night time riding. Had one of those tire screeching moments when stopped at a light the other day. Freakin' hate that sound when someone doesn't see you till the last minute.

post #19 of 27 Old 04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Imaginifer

I have only used it on a 919 (that's all I got), can't comment on anything else. On a 919 it works excellent. There is more/better ventilation on this helmet than most.

post #20 of 27 Old 04-28-2009, 03:11 PM

Just recieved my new (top of the line) Bell "STAR" helmet. Lov the fit, very lite, absolutely no lift or bobble at speed. This helmet is wonderful and vents well but for $100 the Gmax still vents better and has the best, most optically correct shield in the world in mho...notice the smaller size of the Bell. In hot weather I think I will still want the Gmax but for my 1st track day (at the new Bluegrass Speedway) I will def want the "Bell"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0761.JPG (410.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0760.JPG (390.3 KB, 10 views)

post #21 of 27 Old 04-28-2009, 03:57 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
Interesting.

I wonder about the ventilation...looks like it might work better w/ the upright seating position of the 9r. I know my shoei and other helmets work best w/ head tilted down like I'm riding an RR type bike.

I very much like the idea of LEDs to have for night time riding. Had one of those tire screeching moments when stopped at a light the other day. Freakin' hate that sound when someone doesn't see you till the last minute.
Actually the GMAX vents quite well on a 600RR as well. On my 919 I have actually gotten wind burn while wearing the helmet with all vents open. Unless you can get a sunburn through a tinted visor anyway.

post #22 of 27 Old 04-28-2009, 05:09 PM

YES!!

post #23 of 27 Old 04-28-2009, 05:33 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovheros View Post
YES!!
Yes you can get burnt through a tinted visor?

post #24 of 27 Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Milites Gregarius

I really wanted to like this helmet it has such great reviews. I tried it on today and the large was too small and the xlarge too big... Maybe I will go back tomorrow and wear it around for a while and see if it adjust to my head...

post #25 of 27 Old 06-13-2009, 04:26 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

You can order different sized cheek pads that will snug it up. I wear a medium but since I'm lacking in the chin department, I really need to order some small cheek pads to have a better fit.

post #26 of 27 Old 06-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
I really wanted to like this helmet it has such great reviews. I tried it on today and the large was too small and the xlarge too big... Maybe I will go back tomorrow and wear it around for a while and see if it adjust to my head...
I really want to like this helmet... especially with the Red Crusader pattern which looks really cool. I put it on and wore it around the store today. It just don't fit right. To tight in cheeks but too loose up top. The only helmet that actually fits me right is the quantum from arai. This Gmax is a nice looking helmet... if it fits you. I love the thought of all those vents...

Anyone know any other helmets that fit like arai's "round oval"?

post #27 of 27 Old 06-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

sharks... and ripper has a great looking one...... i aint sure if he still has it but it is NICE.....

i can't wear a shark because i have cauliflower ear and the shark hurts me like a beotch... otherwise i would have that one of his..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode