Getting Cold - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

Getting Cold

So it was finally clear today in PA, but I was too much of a wuss to go out as it was 48 when I left for work... I know.
So I did some quick research on some heated gear, was assuming a vest that I would have to plug in, but then found this little gem that I really want to like, but I can not find a single review on it, it is kinda new. I am hoping to use this under a new joe rocket jacket I am about to pull the trigger on.

What are your thoughts?

Mobile Warming Longmen Shirt with Battery - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Princeps Prior

cortech makes a NICE heated jacket and leather gloves. I put the jacket under my joe rocket summer jacket. Keep me nice and warm

post #3 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Le So Cal Troll

CANT WAIT for winter here in so cal... riding moto doesnt stop... and riding my ski's in the snow starts back up! WOOT WOOT!

post #4 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 02:55 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

48 and you didn't go out? You are a wuss. I went out this morning in the same temps. I wore heaver gloves and my hands were sweating. you fine down till 40 you justr need some warm gear. Below 40 you need heated gear. Remeber it is about 15-20oF colder when riding.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #5 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Former 919er

I've got a 9 hour ride planned for Thursday and it is forecasted to be 0 c (32f) when we leave a 8AM. Ain't gonna stop us!!

post #6 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I think you can layer up pretty good down into the mid 40's, the hands are the toughest for me without heated gear. The Longmen shirt looks pretty nice but I would be skeptical on the battery life (up to 10 hrs). If it were me I would spring for a Gerbings, Tourmaster/ Warm n Safer vest or jacket liner. When you decide to add heated gloves, they plug right into the sleeves.

Here's a review of similar Gerbings Battery Operated stuff

Gerbings Core Heat Heated Clothing | HookedUpNW

post #7 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Go Gerbings...........there is no substitute.

Long sleeve T-shirt.
Gerbings Electric Liner.
A wind/waterproof shell.
You are good to go.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #8 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Hastatus Prior

I rode this morning, and yeah it was chilly, but I was ok, Beautiful weather on the ride home, it was totally worth it. Now once it gets down in the 30's in the morning I'm done, I can't afford that swanky heated gear.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #9 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

It was down to 50 for the ride in yesterday morning, quite a difference from the 58-61 it has been in the mornings, of course I rode home in the pouring rain, damned weather man was actually right.

Dan
post #10 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Former 919er

I draw the line at about 25 degrees which will be the morning commute low within the next month. As long as it's not colder than that and the high gets into the 40's and there is no rain/frost/snow then I ride.

....waiting for Rickard to check in and report how he rides all winter in Calgary at temperatures way lower than my thresholds.

post #11 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I've been informed by my 9yr old son that we're good to ride down to 42, lower than that we have to take the truck. He says 42's not that bad because I block most of the cold off him.

Dan
post #12 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 05:42 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
I draw the line at about 25 degrees which will be the morning commute low within the next month. As long as it's not colder than that and the high gets into the 40's and there is no rain/frost/snow then I ride.

....waiting for Rickard to check in and report how he rides all winter in Calgary at temperatures way lower than my thresholds.
Rickard adds new dimension to cool weather riding.
I gotta hand it to him.
He does mega miles every year, never fails to get at least one ride into every month, even if it is stupid cold and needs to use his feet as outriggers on the ice.
Really nice guy too, it's not as though he's a nutter.
No, he is Keener !!!!

post #13 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 PM
The Cripple

dont need heat gear if you layer up right. although heated gloves would be nice!!! i'd settle for some hand guards at the least. i've ridden down to 18 degrees before, i'll do it again lol.

post #14 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 10:45 PM
MSF blacksheep

ive ridden while the fog in my visor froze in a matter of seconds. i believe it was around 10 degrees. no heated anything, alpinestars gpx gloves, joe rocket waterproof jacket, windproof fleece inner jacket, under armour cold gear compression pants, jeans, smart wool mountaineering socks, belleville gortex/thinsulate boots, scorpion exo-400 helmet. i will do it again.

my limits =
>32 - ride
<32 and dry - ride (black ice is a b!!ch)

post #15 of 61 Old 10-05-2011, 04:22 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
dont need heat gear if you layer up right. although heated gloves would be nice!!! i'd settle for some hand guards at the least. i've ridden down to 18 degrees before, i'll do it again lol.
I have tried all kinds of gloves and once it's below 40F, my fingers get really cold after about an hour. I also have hand guards (not huge ones). They help a little but are no miracle. Heated gloves for me below 40F.

post #16 of 61 Old 10-05-2011, 08:32 AM
The Cripple

yeah that's what i want mike. i dont see myself riding for more than an hour at a given time when it's that cold lol. and yes i have the same experience as you, hands start to go numb at about an hour, just part of riding. as long as my core stays warm, i'm fine for the most part.

best piece of cold riding gear though is a balaclava!

post #17 of 61 Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I have tried all kinds of gloves and once it's below 40F, my fingers get really cold after about an hour. I also have hand guards (not huge ones). They help a little but are no miracle. Heated gloves for me below 40F.

I'm using the BarkBuster Storm handguards, I've been wearing my summer gloves through two winters so far with no frostbite

Dan
post #18 of 61 Old 10-08-2011, 12:31 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Just a pic of whats happening around here today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snow.jpg (116.4 KB, 13 views)

post #19 of 61 Old 10-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Former 919er

Wow! Who would have thought that up here in the great white north we would be having a sunny, summer-like, 78 degree day while there's a blizzard in Colorado? Ouch.

post #20 of 61 Old 10-08-2011, 12:54 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I just got back in from riding and today was one of the best days of the year for riding. Perfect riding weather!

Although I road to work most of this week, it wasn't the best riding in the AM. I even pulled out my winter riding jacket.

Under Armor and or a turtle neck do wonders.

My main issues are hands and inner thighs.
post #21 of 61 Old 10-08-2011, 01:07 PM
The Cripple

yikes.... too soon for snow, too snow..... that really sucks dave.

post #22 of 61 Old 10-08-2011, 01:19 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

No not really. It's Colorado we will be in the 60s in a few days and then the 70's

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 38.85°N and Longitude 104.76°W (Elev. 6235 ft)

post #23 of 61 Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaCrazy View Post
So I did some quick research on some heated gear,
My definition of electrics: "imperfect materials in precarious conditions"

+1, if you're going to buy heated gear Gerbings has the best warranty and support although I've heard some complaints on the new microwire jacket. I use Warm & Safe controllers. Their gear is good too. FirstGear heated stuff is also made by W&S. Tourmaster gloves have no heat in the thumbs which is kinda silly and ya know Widder is outta business.

Electrics are not hard to make if you're handy and patient. Homemade gear has advantages too. The stuff is way cheap to make. You can put the heat where you feel the cold most. If you make it you can fix it. All heated gear will fail eventually but rather than having to make it home on a dead glove or jacket and then wait for warranty repair or replacement, I have made field repairs and never missed a beat. I also just don the electrics in winter instead of trying to figure out how many layers to wear - even if I don't turn them on. I don't even have to check the weather before I ride.

Anyway, I've done all the math and have years of trial & error as well as good experience. If anyone is interested in giving it a try, I'll be glad to help. Homemade Heated Glove, Jacket & Boot Liners - kphenix's Photos

post #24 of 61 Old 10-20-2011, 11:26 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

You running this 75W jacket and whatnot on a 919? Wondering how well that'll fly with the charging system the bike has. I'm firing both 55w bulbs at the same time (599 mod) and would like to add another watt or two (cell charger/gps) worth of current outside of some heated gear for this winter.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #25 of 61 Old 10-21-2011, 03:34 AM
Former 919er

Ken - very cool. I never considered making my own and might give it a try now. Thanks!

post #26 of 61 Old 10-21-2011, 03:37 AM
h8tenhogs

48 today and wet... time to don the leathers and head off to work...

post #27 of 61 Old 10-21-2011, 06:08 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
You running this 75W jacket and whatnot on a 919? Wondering how well that'll fly with the charging system the bike has. I'm firing both 55w bulbs at the same time (599 mod) and would like to add another watt or two (cell charger/gps) worth of current outside of some heated gear for this winter.
Pop in a single bi-zenon HID available in 35w or 55w. The light is unbelievable! LED tail lights will save a couple of watts too. It probably isn't critical on the 919 but you can always add a little digital voltmeter and crank up the heat until you see the volts drop. I ran my gloves, jacket and insoles on my 600 Bandit's alternator and never had a problem.
post #28 of 61 Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Pop in a single bi-zenon HID available in 35w or 55w. The light is unbelievable!

so is the glare ken! please please please do NOT use HID without projectors, as they are designed to be used with projectors and they need the cutoff to work properly.

post #29 of 61 Old 11-01-2011, 04:08 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

It was 32 degrees this morning when I left for work. The experts say that you can take another 20 degrees off the temperature to understand what it feels like on the bike. While I won't argue with their science, I do think this is somewhat misleading. I have sat around in 12 degree weather when in the military and for various jobs and riding in 32 degrees is much more brutal. When you are just hanging about in sub freezing temperatures, you are not affected by wind burn on your face and your hands and legs take more than 15 minutes to go painfully numb from the cold. Finally having enough of this, I have purchased some Gerbing's Heated Gloves. I expect them to be delivered today and will get back with you tomorrow with my initial impressions.

Here is the info from Gerbing's website:

The T5 gloves from Gerbing’s were first introduced last year in Europe but now are available in the USA. Designed for the rider who rides out of necessity and not just for recreation. The T5 gloves were made for the type of rider who demands performance in a wide variety of riding conditions. Whether it is long distance riding where comfort and warmth are essential or intercity high traffic commuting where safety is a must, the T5 gloves from Gerbing’s deliver exceptional performance.

» Gerbing's heated gloves are made with high quality full-analine leather for an exceptionally light, strong and flexible glove
» The glove heats the entire length of each finger including the thumb as well as the back of your hand
» Gauntlet style glove
» Adjustable wrist fastener
» Hypora® waterproof, breathable membrane
» Thinsulate® insulation for great warmth and dexterity
» Brushed tricot liner for added warmth and durability
» Incorporates Gerbing's Microwire® heating technology that uses micro-sized heating fibers to surround the hand with warmth.
» Lifetime warranty on the Microwire® heating elements

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #30 of 61 Old 11-01-2011, 06:46 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I was about to delete the last post as spam and ban the user but then I saw who it was.

I would like heater gear but I don't want to spend the money on a comfort item. May jacket with liner, pants with liner, and gloves with liners do just fine. Now I need something to keep the cold off my neck.

post #31 of 61 Old 11-01-2011, 10:10 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Now I need something to keep the cold off my neck.
this is what i use: Neck Guard

it works WELL and believe it or not, it's pretty thin which makes it awesome for folding up and tucking into a jacket pocket, and it doesnt bulge up under your jacket when you use it. dont bother getting the cheaper/fleece ones. i've tried them and hated them without fail. this is the best one i've tried yet. works great in the rain as well.

post #32 of 61 Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Did my morning commute in the mid to upper 30's. The ride is 40 minutes long.

I have grip shields, which help, but I must say, that along with my Tourmaster winter gauntlets, my fingers still got colder than I'd like.

I've used heated grips in the past, but found my finger tips and the tops of my hands still suffered.

I have a perfectly good pair of Gerbings gloves, that I've only used twice because it made me crazy trying to thread their harness thru my jacket, and get everything hooked up.

This morning made me rethink, tho. I think I'll ask the better half to sew the wire harness into my touring jacket's cold weather removable liner. Seems the only time I'd use the harness & electric gloves, is when I'm in complete cold weather riding mode.....thus, sew it into the liner.

Hopefully then I could easily make the connections and hit the road.

"First You Fly, Then You Die!"--Los Lobos
post #33 of 61 Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Oh yeah, I still haven't found a neck/head/face protector that works without completely fogging up my glasses. Even the one's with an exaggerated nose shield area don't work without making my glasses completely fog over.

post #34 of 61 Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:

it works WELL and believe it or not, it's pretty thin which makes it awesome for folding up and tucking into a jacket pocket, and it doesnt bulge up under your jacket when you use it. dont bother getting the cheaper/fleece ones. i've tried them and hated them without fail. this is the best one i've tried yet. works great in the rain as well.

+1. I have one from the North Face. It's fleece and works great!

post #35 of 61 Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:

This looks good. I was looking at AlpineStars full head and face one too.

post #36 of 61 Old 11-01-2011, 11:10 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamperman View Post
Oh yeah, I still haven't found a neck/head/face protector that works without completely fogging up my glasses. Even the one's with an exaggerated nose shield area don't work without making my glasses completely fog over.
If you wear Rx specs, you will probably need to get anti-fog lenses. Otherwise, the best cold weather combination I have found is the Schampa Chinguard worn covering the mouth but not the nose and a Respro Foggy mask in the helmet. This allows my breath to escape past the chin bar. I never have to worry about shield fogging other than that caused by physical exertion off the bike.
post #37 of 61 Old 11-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Ken that pic is knarly - you are the man.

post #38 of 61 Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Ken, thanks for the gear recommendations. I haven't tried the Respro or the Schampa.
I may have to breakdown and check into the anti-fogging lense thing. Seems like my prescription changes every 18 months or so anyway.

post #39 of 61 Old 11-03-2011, 03:13 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamperman View Post
Ken, thanks for the gear recommendations. I haven't tried the Respro or the Schampa.
I may have to breakdown and check into the anti-fogging lense thing. Seems like my prescription changes every 18 months or so anyway.
Sure thing. Come to think of it, I don't have a fogging problem with my non-prescription shades either. For less than $60 altogether, the Respro Foggy/Schampa Chin Guard combo might be all you need. I'd give that a try before shelling out big bucks for lenses. Here's hoping.
post #40 of 61 Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Tirone

My commute is pretty short (5 miles each way to work, and 15 each way to school), but in the mornings it's below 20f. To solve the fogging problem i bought 2.5 feet of clear vinyl tubing from ace hardware. When it's cold I just put one end out the bottom of my jacket and breath though it, works perfectly so far. I think having it routed inside my jacket even helps warm the air i'm breathing too, but idk about that. Cost less than $2 and fits easily in a pocket when not in use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode