Gearing up for warmer Klims - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Gearing up for warmer Klims

Some time ago I made the decision to begin upgrading the rain linings in all my gear to bona fide Gore Tex. I have made progress and so far I've been very pleased. In summer heat I ride in an Olympia Stealth onesie.

Its textile/mesh design offers great ventilation but there's no waterproof layer whatsoever. Warm weather is coming and so is the rain and I absolutely abhor the vinyl rain suit I have to wear over the Stealth. I read with interest on ADV of riders having success with Gore Tex Paclite backpacking gear. I patiently watched items on ebay and eventually scored. The pants I found bear the Cabela's brand and cost me $40. It's amazing how lightweight the material is. And the quality is excellent. All zippers are waterproof and the cuff zippers go to the knee. Cabela's: Cabela's GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River® Pants - Tall

Most of the jackets listed were designed for snowboarding or winter expeditions - too heavy for summer. Finally one appeared and it was even motorcycle specific. The Klim Stowaway Gore Tex Paclite jacket was exactly what I was looking for. I would have bid all the way to its $199 retail but luckily won it for half that figure. It's last year's model (new with tags) but I actually think I like the style better. The new model is a solid color and comes with a hood. Klim Stow Away Jacket - RevZilla

Like the pants the jacket is lightweight and breathable and has waterproof zippers. The front pocket becomes its own stuff sack.

The plan is to don the Paclite gear under my Olympia textile / mesh suit. So far so good.

I have worn the new rain gear around the house for over an hour with no sign of clamminess. This stuff is surprisingly cool and comfortable.

Another advantage of the "Paclite" line, since it was designed for backpacking, it and packs very small. I was still surprised when the items I ordered arrived in standard 9x12 envelopes. Here's the Klim jacket in its own built-in pouch.

And here's the jacket and pants together.

I'm as frugal (cheap) as they come but sometimes you just have to throw money at a problem. I think I'm ready for summer now. I'll report again after the first Texas deluge.

Oh, and if anybody wants a worn 3 or 4 times Tourmaster Elite rain suit cheap, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Discen

Why have I never heard of this stuff? Those look awesome. Not that I have any complaints about my Frogg-Toggs.

I'm here for a good time, not a long time
post #3 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Imaginifer

@Ken

Why didn't you size up so you could wear it over the jumpsuit? By using your GoreTex gear as a liner the outer suit will be saturated after the rain stops.

It's been my experience when the drops start falling, by the time I stop, dig the Frogg Toggs out and put them on I'm already well dampened. If I had to climb out of a jumpsuit too I'd be soaked. I wear the Froggers over my Aerostich Roadcrafter which even though it's made of GoreTex still leaks in a hard rain. And my Tourmaster Elite suit is virtually unused too. Too big-heavy-hot-etc.

"Keep on 9-in"

post #4 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetMan View Post
@Ken

Why didn't you size up so you could wear it over the jumpsuit? By using your GoreTex gear as a liner the outer suit will be saturated after the rain stops.
This stuff is incredibly thin. The only negative review I read about the Klim Stowaway jacket was from a guy who wore it outside his mx gear in the woods - and of course it ripped. I'm not worried about getting the stealth suit wet. I've ridden through hot summer rains and it dries quickly. Also, I'd rather not have the rain gear fluttering in the wind. I'm basically attempting to emulate the success I've had with my winter gear which has a removable Gore Tex inner liner.
Quote:
It's been my experience when the drops start falling, by the time I stop, dig the Frogg Toggs out and put them on I'm already well dampened. If I had to climb out of a jumpsuit too I'd be soaked.
I hear ya. If there's a threat of rain I will zip the rain liner into my pants ahead of time. Then at the first sign of rain I pop the liner into my jacket. If I prepare by donning the Cabela's rain pants early, I should be able to quickly get out of the top half of the stealth and put on the Klim jacket. Here's hoping.
Quote:
I wear the Froggers over my Aerostich Roadcrafter which even though it's made of GoreTex still leaks in a hard rain.
I've always wanted to try on a Stich suit but I'm a good ways from Duluth. I've heard their older stuff leaks and has to be nickwaxed frequently but learning your Gore Tex Roadcrafter leaks too is disappointing. Does it carry the same lifetime guarantee as other Gore Tex products? My Sidi On Road and TCX AirTech boots, REVIT! Defender jacket and Alaska gloves all have genuine Gore Tex and all perform admirably in sustained downpours. So I'm hoping I'll get the same performance out of the Paclite gear.
Quote:
And my Tourmaster Elite suit is virtually unused too. Too big-heavy-hot-etc.
Yep, enough said about vinyl that doesn't breathe.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Imaginifer

The GoreTex part of one-piece Roadcrafters works fine. In a light rain at speed the air will blast off the excess. Nothing soaks through the fabric. When rain picks up water will eventually penetrate around the non-waterproof zipper and pool in your crotch. Once the zipper tape is soaked it runs in like a river.

I followed Aerostich's instructions and seam-sealed the tape and gave the suit a Nikwax wash-in treatment and it was no better than before.

Aerostich once offered a replacement "waterproof" zipper but that disappeared quickly. I expect the issue with that is zipper strength and availability, i.e., there's nothing commercially available that's waterproof and as strong as the current leaky zipper.

Meanwhile, when the rain picks up I throw on my cheap-assed Mossy Oak Breakup Frogg Toggs and ride off in stealth style.

"Keep on 9-in"

post #6 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Last Thursday:
Quote:
My new summer rain ensemble includes the Klim Stowaway Gore Tex Paclite jacket that I wear under my mesh suit and have had the privilege of using in 40 miles of wind driven rain thus far. Not only did I stay dry, I was very impressed at how breathable it is - the wind through the wet mesh exterior actually gives a cooling effect. I'll have to get back to you on the Cabela's pants though - they're not moto specific and may allow seepage through the non-gusseted zippers. Stay tuned. At any rate, I'm done with vinyl. Hope this helps.
Today:
Another substantial thunderstorm this evening - not a frog strangler but substantial nonetheless - in which I rode maybe 25 miles through big hard-hitting Texas size raindrops. Again, the cooling effect of the wind blowing through the soaked mesh against the Gore Tex Paclite material is remarkable. Last Thursday, I wore jeans under the Paclite rain pants and my pants legs got soaked several inches from the cuff. Now I believe the jeans were simply exposed below the rain pants in the wind because today I rode with rain pants without jeans and the tops of my boots stayed dry. The Cabela's pants did not leak. In fact, I arrived home totally dry under my gear. I know these are abbreviated challenges and the real test will require riding hours in a sustained downpour. So far though, I am pleased.

I turned on the shop fan on my wet gear so everything will be dry by morning.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post

Great idea on the PVC pipe in the gloves!

post #8 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Great idea on the PVC pipe in the gloves!
Thanks Mike. The pvc is just zip-tied to the grille - works great.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-19-2013, 04:23 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Thanks Mike. The pvc is just zip-tied to the grille - works great.
Even better! Gonna steal that one.

post #10 of 10 Old 08-04-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

I blasted 85 miles on I-10 to Houston a couple of weeks ago in sustained heavy rain. The Klim jacket is absolutely stellar!

The Cabela's pants however, although fine for hiking, allowed water in through the fly zipper at highway speed. I made a call to their customer service dept and discovered the model I have was discontinued 4 years ago and replaced by pants with a draw string elastic waist and no fly or front pockets. So back to ebay I go. I scored a "more recent" pair for about the same money. I think I'm in good shape now.

When I reached my destination, the dog show at Reliant Center, I shed the wet mesh suit and locked it to the bike and walked in wearing the paclite gear. I was surprised how quickly the material dries. When it was time to go, donning the wet suit was a little disconcerting but I really enjoyed the cooling effect of the wind blowing through the wet mesh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode