The 'My Offer to You' post and another about Joe Rocket UFO jackets got me thinking about this.
It's obvious from race tracks, reviews, and prices that there are at least two tiers of gear quality. For most riders, stuff made by JR or First Gear and others is probably adequate and affordable. But since the question has been posed, and I've checked out that gorgeous Spidi Seven jacket (thanks for that link ragdoll), I'm wondering how people rank the most popular gear that's out there:
- Joe Rocket
- Hein Gericke
- First Gear
Is the question, "the most popular". Or, would it be your opinion on the best value, the best quality, etc.
When doing a audit or survey, I always try to ask at least two questions to gain at least two responses that can be graphed or weighted. You can always ask three and provide a 3-D chart. For example here. Maybe ask, "what does compareable suits from each mfg cost and what level of protection does that particular item provide." There are some smaller custom shops that provide excellent product and great service. Based on your question, here is my input. Again, only an opinion.
- Vanson (great custom stuff, takes forever to break-in)
- Dainese (no experience, to big for there off the rack stuff)
- Spidi (only know it on reputation)
- Alpinestars (same as above)
- Hein Gericke - First Gear (Same mfg., IMO, best bang for the buck)
- Teknic (no experience, just hear say)
- Joe Rocket (have only had a mess jacket from them and it held up well under a 50 ft. low-side slide)
- Fieldsheer (no experience)
- Icon (received a pair of the gladiator type gloves for Christmas a few years ago. Over priced bling)
IMHO, these are in a different catagory. But, Aerostich is still excellent. Convenient also for slipping on over "work clothes" and everyday use.