Gear combo - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 09-18-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

Gear combo

After looking around, and talking to as many people as possible, and reading the many posts on here... and talking to local people who have used this and that and layed down a time or two, and from my own lay down experiences,

I'm trying to come up with a gear setup that offers good protection, with comfort, and a feasible, easily donned, and removed gear options. I need to replace and update my own summer gear, as the season is closing, the summer stuff will be a slight bit cheaper.

I'm very open to opinions and experience with this stuff, I know it's been brought up, and posted, and gone over a million times, but never all in one.

Also, i know that opinions are very much like the wooly -o- rings we sit on, as everyone has them, and not wanting to start any hostility.

here is what iv'e come up with.

As far as protective hats!
KBC, force RR, good track record, and good pricing, lots of ventilation, and quality materials.

A fully perforated leather jacket, CE elbow and shoulder armor a must.
(this one is still fuzzy on the edges, looking for something with securing straps, to the belt, or on the armor, (maybe even a good elastic armor securing area) locking zippers on the inside of the arm, not on the outside. suggestions?

For the hands,
Sidi sport vent gloves, a long glove, never heard any bad reports of sidi, uses leather throughout, armoring, and good wrist bolstering, while providing good air flow. here there are numerous different options, but this has been a personal favorite...

The legs,
This one some people will scream at...
I've got a friend with the icon leg armor, in which i was interested in a while back, i borrowed them for the past month...
compared to the alpine star ones, these things can be secured far better, and have a slightly larger coverage area, and a good thick impact padding underneath... although it is an icon product, these seem far more likely not to move around and be more comfortable than the 2 strap alpine stars, and have a sleeve that holds them in place. also noted, (the air vents on the icon ones, really dont do much.. as theres all the padding behind them.
(as stated, this gear must be easily donned, and can be used under jeans, pants, whatever, without jumping up and down and slithering into a full armor pant)

as far as shoes, which has been covered exhaustively,
I'd prefer the Sidi, or alpinestars, but this also must be something that on a given day, can pull double duty as a shoe, say at work without wearing a thin race sole down, and not go up to your arm-pits.
I have a friend (also owner of the leg armor) who layed down this past week wearing the (another scream) icon motorhead boots, i'd post pics if i can get time to get a camera over to his house... it was a 45-50mph lowside, on a 4 lane hwy, (no traffic thank god) the boot has some abrasions, but not bad at all, the sole, on one side has about a 3 inch long, 1/8 inch deep gash where it slid on the side... but took it very well... also looking into oxtar and gaerne... but these are lower cut, while still providing solid ankle reinforcement, locking buckles, and relative armoring... and he wears them to and form work, and at work... he loves them...

all in all, this is what i've come up with as a good all around setup, obviously not meant for the track, ... if your planning on a day solely lead-footing, er,,,, wristing it on the backroads.. or to and from, daily grind, and shall we say spirited driving.

I know the icon stuff is mainly all flash and look at me go.., but the boots and armor pieces seem pretty damn good quality.. i can't say the same for the jackets, ive heard the newer lineup, and that ti-max2 leather jacket are exceptional...

I'm open to suggestions, and anything that comes to mind, this winter i want to replace all the summer stuff, mainly for safety reasons, as my mesh jacket and mesh gloves are lacking.

also, if you've got a setup that you use, especially if you've had a burn in em'
please post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-18-2006, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

forgot to add,

for a fully perforated leather jacket, looking into the fieldsheer airspeed IV

post #3 of 6 Old 09-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

So you know what you want... what's the question?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #4 of 6 Old 09-18-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

question being... i wanted to know what people thought, as this is a rough base of what people ive talked to,, outside of this great forum....

what peoples experiences are... and mainly, post-laydown which i know no two burns are the same.... but alot can be said for others experience... and i prefer to listen to the wisdom of others... like yours...

post #5 of 6 Old 09-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

My wisdom of crashing is only at 15 miles per hour on gravel, 2 months after I got my license at 18.

Was wearing an HJC AC-11 helmet, AGV gloves, shorts...tank top. Sucked sooooo bad. Gravel embedded in skin... don't do that.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #6 of 6 Old 10-11-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
My wisdom of crashing is only at 15 miles per hour on gravel, 2 months after I got my license at 18.

Was wearing an HJC AC-11 helmet, AGV gloves, shorts...tank top. Sucked sooooo bad. Gravel embedded in skin... don't do that.
picking out gravel is extremely painful. I grew up on a gravel road and we rode used to jump our 2 stroke off road bikes from ditch to ditch. Lets just say I didn't make it the first time. I was like 8 or 9 and cried my arse off. Does anyone know how you remember things much more vividly when they are painful? My mom picking out that gravel is forever etched in my brain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode