Finally got some riding boots - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Finally got some riding boots

After reading about hangster's accident last year I've been meaning to pick up a good pair of riding boots. I've been looking at boots at MC shops in my area and it seems like all the footwear is geared towards cruisers. I hadn't seem much in the area of a good Sport Touring/Racing boot.

While surfing the old interwebs I found a used pair of A* SMX-R boots. The boots appeared to be in decent shape and for $60, I figured I couldn't go wrong. They arrived today and seem about 1/2 size too large. If I throw on an extra pair of socks, they are about perfect.

I just got back from a short ride on my VFR with the new boots and I've got a question for those with more race oriented boots. Since there isn't a whole lot of movement in the ankle area, is there a trick for easier access to the shift lever when up shifting (2-3, 3-4, etc)? I'm used to riding in tennis shoes so I've never had this problem before.

Maybe something a little more sport touring would have been more my speed... but I figured these would provide more support in the event of a crash.

[This space for rent]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

With the super stiff boots, I usually go around the outside and under of the peg enough to catch it on the shifting part of the boot. In one motion, I tuck the foot back in and push the lever up completing the shift. I preload all my up-shifting when using the 'fast' boots as usually I'm on the track. Clutchless shifts FTW.

You'll get more used to it and maybe the boot will break in more?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 AM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I had to adjust my shifter up a notch or two when I went from street shoes to riding boots. Not sure if this helps.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 02:59 AM
Pilus Posterior

I'm not sure how those adjust, but if you leave the calf area looser, wouldn't that allow for some rocking of the boot?

post #5 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 04:11 AM
Centurion

I was in touring boots then when my girl had a huge off. I then learned why race boots are so stiff. She came down at 60mph and slid for a long way. Her boots are stuffed but her feet and ankles are fine. If she had touring boots on both ankles would have been broken. Race boots will protect better in a crash. You will probably need to adjust gear and rear brake levers as I did when I changed to race boots.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 AM
Discen

great looking boots!
I had the same 'problem' when I first started riding, now I cant ride without proper boots lol. try putting your foot either further back or the ball of your foot on the peg. I know it feels strange but you'l get used to it soon enough.

Just as aerodynamic airplanes are simple and streamlined, a motorcycle--which manages to balance an engine and a seat between two wheels--has a mechanical integrity, with intertwining pipes, chains and springs, that is fascinating to behold - Peter Plagens
post #7 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Thanks for the input guys. These boots are adjustable around the calves. There is a fancy ratcheting system at the top of the boot. I'll loosen them up a bit and see if that helps. If not, I'll adjust my shift lever.

I'm glad someone didn't just say that these types of boots are meant for more race oriented sport bikes. My VFR is sporty, but the pegs are a little more forward than say a CBR.

[This space for rent]
post #8 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

I felt the same way when switching to a pair of real riding boots. When I first started riding, I used a pair of Timberlands for a bit, but bought riding boots after my laces got caught in the shift lever when I came to a stop at a red light. The riding boots felt stiff at first, but softened up over time and I got used to it. Now I don't leave home without it and I feel weird on the bike if I'm NOT using riding boots.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #9 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Pilus Posterior

BTW, do these boots have any vents for cooling the feet? The problem I have is that my feet get pretty hot and wet and I'd love to have some kinda air vent for the hot days.

I don't know why helmets have vents, but boots don't. Don't you guys get hot feet?

post #10 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 12:54 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadacus View Post
try putting your foot either further back or the ball of your foot on the peg. I know it feels strange but you'l get used to it soon enough.
+1

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #11 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
@KarlJay. I have the vented model of the SMX-R boots. Today will be the first 'hot' day of the year so I'll give them a whirl after work and see how air movement is.

[This space for rent]
post #12 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Cornicen

image-339738331.jpg

These are Cortech Latigo Air boots. Nicely vented and run about $150 or thereabouts. A lot of AMA guys wear them, as do some friends on the track. Might help the swamp feet problem?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2408219295.jpg (33.3 KB, 61 views)

post #13 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

OP, I've had the same boots (non vented) for a few years now and they are great. You will get used to them and it will become natural, give it some time. You can adjust your shifter a little if it bugs you. Try riding in MX boots, lol. These a pair of slippers compared to MX boots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode