Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 Textile Pants - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 Textile Pants

Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 Textile Pants

I picked up a pair in XXL today from the local bike shop. They cost me $143.00 plus tax. I normally wear size 38 jeans so I guess their sizing chart is right on.

In XXL I was able to wear them over my khakis with the insulated liner in the Fieldsheers, effectively replicating a typical cold morning commute to work.

In-store inspection gave me the impression that they are warm and heavy duty with the few features I was needing.

The knee armor is adjustable for height via velcro segmented pockets. The leg opening zips from ankle to upper thigh, both pant and liner. The waist is comfortable both seated and standing with tradditional zipper and built-in belt closure. The hip armor seems to move around a bit but that is by design and doesn't appear to be an issue.

I wore them home from a customer's site today with the liner removed wearing only my boxers underneath. Temperatures during my ride were in the mid to lower sixties. I'm expecting these to be perfect for 70-80 percent of my riding season. I'll look for something mesh for the hottest summer months.

I'll keep this thread updated with any new or revised opinion/observations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-17-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Couple more notes:

There is an abundance of reflective piping.

The knee armor feels really bulky to me, but that just may be my lack of familiarity with "any" padded pants.

post #3 of 30 Old 09-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Steve

I've been looking at those myself. If I'd been wearing them a couple weeks ago I wouldn't still be limping around right now. I like the idea of overpants better than the Bohn under armor ones I had. I never wore them cause they were way bulky and uncomfortable to me.

Does the knee armor seem to be securely held in place or does it tend to move around?

+1

Steve

post #4 of 30 Old 09-17-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
I've been looking at those myself. If I'd been wearing them a couple weeks ago I wouldn't still be limping around right now. I like the idea of overpants better than the Bohn under armor ones I had. I never wore them cause they were way bulky and uncomfortable to me.

Does the knee armor seem to be securely held in place or does it tend to move around?

+1

Steve
The knee armor is quite well secured in a Velcro pocket. Only the hip padding seems to float a bit.

There are traditional pant pockets front and rear as well as top zippers to access your "under pants" via the main leg opening. I'm sure this is all common stuff found on most manufacturer's pants.

post #5 of 30 Old 09-17-2009, 10:36 AM
4 whls good 2 whls better

I like the adjustability of the knee armor. I think my legs must be a weird shape that the default pad position tends to slide down past the knee unless I work to keep it in place.

New Enough has the same price for these. They're going on the wish list.

post #6 of 30 Old 09-17-2009, 10:56 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

how is the length? I typically wear 34/34 in pants and find the Joe Rocket pants I have to be a little short. When I sit on the bike, the pants sometimes actually hike up enough they go over the top of my waterproof touring boots

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #7 of 30 Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
how is the length? I typically wear 34/34 in pants and find the Joe Rocket pants I have to be a little short. When I sit on the bike, the pants sometimes actually hike up enough they go over the top of my waterproof touring boots

I normaly wear 38/32 or 38/34 sizejeans depending on manufacturer and roominess in in the legs. A tighter upper leg (i've got quads the size of most peoples' waists) tends to rquire a longer inseam for a good fit.

They are long. When sitting on the tiger they extended to the top of the soles of my boots.

post #8 of 30 Old 10-06-2009, 03:16 PM

I don't know how much of a difference there is between the Mercury and Mercury 2.0 pants, but for those on a budget, Motorcyclecloseouts.com is selling the former for $80. I just ordered a pair from them. I'll post something once they arrive and I've had a chance to try them out.

Silver Mercury pants

Black Mercury pants

They also have a bunch of other Fieldsheer clothing on sale right now.

Hope this helps someone out.

Brad

post #9 of 30 Old 10-07-2009, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

If I recall the only major differences were the zippered leg vents built into the 2.0 version.

Don't quote me on that though.

post #10 of 30 Old 10-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post

+1

Steve
That's a great question! When falling there's never enough time to adjust the armor to the desired impact location.

Did they happen to spec slide distance in contrast the leather? I know synthetics are much better for cold...but avoiding them in pants. Granted woven kevlar would work!

post #11 of 30 Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

They are keeping me warm and safe in this freezing server room!

post #12 of 30 Old 10-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Tirone

I have a pair of the fieldsheer booster pants, which I believe they renamed to the mercury pants a year or two ago... I wear them in the winter and commute daily and I've worn them with the liner down to 10 - 15 degrees and have been completely comfortable and warm... I've worn them the past 2 winters and have been just fine.

I crashed in them a year ago and slid about 20 feet and the pants held up just fine. I landed straight down on my knee and the armor held up just fine. My knee was sore for a couple days and I limped a little, but with out them I'm pretty sure my knee would have been done for...

I'm still wearing these pants today, they have been good up until about 80 without the liner and just jeans underneath... after that I move to my mesh pants...

post #13 of 30 Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I wear 34/34 and typically wear my pants over something. Opinions on whether I should order LG or XL? I'd tell you which way I'm leaning, but I don't want to skew the results.

EDIT: According to their site. Large Regular is 34-36/34 and XL Regular is 36-38/34.5

post #14 of 30 Old 10-07-2009, 01:39 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I just ordered a pair of XL from motorcyclecloseouts.com. $88.89 after shipping. My Joe Rocket pants are XL (36-38/33) so these should fit well.

post #15 of 30 Old 10-08-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I just ordered a pair of XL from motorcyclecloseouts.com. $88.89 after shipping. My Joe Rocket pants are XL (36-38/33) so these should fit well.
If you were torn between large and XL sizes, I think you'll be happy you went with the larger of the two. These pants definitely run small. I just received mine (in 2XL short) and with the liner in they are pretty tight around my legs and in the crotch while sitting on my bike with a pair of jeans (Wrangler, comfort fit, 40" waist, 30" inseam - which are pretty loose on me) underneath. My legs are pretty big around, and right now I wish I had ordered one size larger than I did. Without the liner the fit is decent, so I will probably skip the hassle of exchanging them for the next size up.

I live in Georgia so it's unlikely I'll be riding much in weather where the liner would be needed. In fact, these seem like they would be warm enough over a pair of jeans that the liner would be unnecessary on anything but a snowmobile, so even in upstate NY where I used to live, I doubt I would opt for the liner too often, if at all. Call me a wimp, but I don't like street riding when there's likely to be ice on the roads.

At the same time I ordered the Mercury pants, I ordered a Fieldsheer Highland jacket. If you are thinking about doing the same, be aware that they also run small. I normally wear an XL or occasionally a 2XL, depending on how its cut and what I want to wear underneath. The Highland I got is a 3XL, and while the jacket otherwise fits okay, the arms are VERY tight with the liner in. It seems like they stuffed a 3XL liner into a 2XL jacket, although even without the liner, the arms are fairly tight. (Yes, my arms are big too.) This one may go back.

For informational purposes, I'm 5'10" and 230lbs. Built like a middle linebacker, with a bit of additional age-related padding overall and a little extra helping around the waist.

Brad

post #16 of 30 Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 PM

An addendum to the previous message, since the 20 minute time limit for editing ran out on me.

Thought I should mention that other than the arms, the Highland jacket fits fine. Its just that the arms seem to be cut way too slim for the jacket size.

Brad

post #17 of 30 Old 10-08-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Glass,

According to the sizing chart you should have gone with 3XL.

Thanks for the info on the other gear.

post #18 of 30 Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I got my pants today. I was disappointed to find they are too large, but it isn't a total shock. I normally wear 34/34 in Levi's so I ordered XL (1 size up as recommended by the site for use as overpants) and I could just pull them down when fully zipped, buttoned, and velcroed as tight as possible. This was with them over a pair of jeans and a belt. Without the pants on underneath, they just fell off.

I will say the built quality is at least 5 times better than my old Joe Rocket pants. They are much thicker, the armor stays in place better and is more adjustable, the interior of the pants is softer against skin, more reflective area, and they have more adjustability (is that even a word?).

I'll be shipping these back tomorrow and ordering a replacement pair in the correct size.

post #19 of 30 Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
I got my pants today. I was disappointed to find they are too large, but it isn't a total shock. I normally wear 34/34 in Levi's so I ordered XL (1 size up as recommended by the site for use as overpants) and I could just pull them down when fully zipped, buttoned, and velcroed as tight as possible. This was with them over a pair of jeans and a belt. Without the pants on underneath, they just fell off.

I will say the built quality is at least 5 times better than my old Joe Rocket pants. They are much thicker, the armor stays in place better and is more adjustable, the interior of the pants is softer against skin, more reflective area, and they have more adjustability (is that even a word?).

I'll be shipping these back tomorrow and ordering a replacement pair in the correct size.
Well, you've got the difficult part done....

post #20 of 30 Old 10-13-2009, 06:01 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
Well, you've got the difficult part done....
Yeah. My wife made the comment last night 'Those won't do you any good in a fall if they just fall off standing still'

I made some reference to my pants falling off and how her's should too but I was met with a cold stare and the look of 'don't mess with me, I'm not in the mood'

post #21 of 30 Old 10-13-2009, 06:26 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Quote:

Thanks for the update. I'm a 34/34 too, so will try the large instead of XL.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #22 of 30 Old 10-13-2009, 07:24 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Their price went up $10 since I ordered on the 7th. I ordered at $88.89, now they are $98.89 (both prices include shipping).

post #23 of 30 Old 10-13-2009, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
I made some reference to my pants falling off and how her's should too but I was met with a cold stare and the look of 'don't mess with me, I'm not in the mood'
Man, that sucks. My wife bribed me into stopping work in the basement so I wouldn't wakeup the little princess sleeping above. She can be very compelling when she wants something. :001_smile:

post #24 of 30 Old 10-16-2009, 08:41 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Update

New size arrived yesterday. They fit prefectly. A little snug when wearing a pair of jeans AND the insulated liner, but not too tight. With a pair of nylon shorts and the liner, they were perfect. With jeans and NO liner, they fit well.

I'll be really putting them to the test today. High of 48 and 60% chance of rain. When looked at the weather, they said high 50 and 20% chance of rain. I decided to ride but as I rode in this morning, there were parts of the commute that were light drizzle but it looks like I'll be getting rained on pretty good on the way home.

I picked up $7.00 pair of Wind/Waterproof Thinsulate Ski gloves from Wal-Mart last night and they made all the difference in the world as far as hand protection from the cold. Yeah...I probably should have purchased actual motorcycle gloves, but those will have to come later.

Next I need some sort of under-helmet sock cap that will keep my ears from getting cold. That's all that was chilly on my commute this morning. I can't get my neck gaiter up far enough.

post #25 of 30 Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Tirone

Just got mine in on Friday. FYI I'm 6'2", 220 lbs 36 inch waist in jeans. I ordered an XL and they fit perfect.

post #26 of 30 Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

170 miles yesterday in my new pants. They worked perfectly. Wore them without a layer underneath in 45 - 55 degree weather and was nice and toasty the entire time.

post #27 of 30 Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

One thing to add...these are not for those with over-active bladder issues. The fly is completely enclosed so effectively there is no access without undoing all waist closures.

I figured this would be a pertinent update given the average age around here.

post #28 of 30 Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
One thing to add...these are not for those with overactive bladder issues. The fly is completely enclosed so effectively there is no access without undoing all waist closures.

I figured this would be a pertinent update given the average age around here.
HAHAHAHA

You do have a point. Experienced the frustration of this yesterday.

Right side velcro, then buttons, then zipper, then you have to pull them down some. But for the money and the protection...worth every penny (and extra 3 seconds to pee).

post #29 of 30 Old 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I just ordered a pair for the old man.....XXXL.

Apparently the Winggebago isn't warm enough as is.

post #30 of 30 Old 10-20-2009, 12:46 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

motorcyclecloseouts.com should give us a discount for the volume of business this thread brought them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode