EXL Racing Jacket - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 02-22-2007, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

EXL Racing Jacket

Ok, what do you guys think of this as a basic riding jacket?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/169-N...7123QQtcZphoto

Mind you, I only ride on the street, not real agressive usually, and am looking for a basic riding jacket that will save my skin in a fall. From the description it sounds pretty damn good for the price.

Just so you know, my impulsiveness has already made me purchase one (black and silver to match the 9'r, looks like black and white in the picture) and it should be here on Friday. If it seems to be crap I'll send it back, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919Hooligan View Post
Mind you, I only ride on the street, not real agressive usually, and am looking for a basic riding jacket that will save my skin in a fall. From the description it sounds pretty damn good for the price.
So, what you are really saying is that you ONLY ride in the most dangerous situations known to motorcycle riders, right? Sorry, but every time I hear that someone only rides on the streets, it touches a little nerve. There are far more dangers on the public streets than almost any other situation you can place a rider in. On public roads, you don't know how far from medical help you really are, there are no gaurantees someone is even going to help you. I shouldn't even have to mention dogs, deer, inattentive drivers, unskilled drivers, gravel, crosswinds, road hazards, flying debris, and the list goes on. Point being, do some research, and buy the best quality you can get your hands on without going broke. [/rant]

post #3 of 19 Old 02-22-2007, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

By saying that I only ride on the street, all I meant was that I won't be going down at 110mph on a racetrack. Don't worry, I know all about the hazards of street riding. I've gone down in gravel, I've gone down on unexpected ice, I've hit crazy dogs, I've been hit by flying debris; 55 motorcycles over the past 16 years and probably upwards of 40k street miles have made me well aware of whats out there. One thing I don't have much experiance with is lightwieght mesh motorcycle jackets, hence my inquiry here.
Part of research is finding out what others have experianced with a certain product, and I'd like to know if anyone has had experiance with this one.

post #4 of 19 Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

My personal .02 is to avoid mesh if at all possible. With the advancements in ventilation, it should'nt be hard to find a good product. How hot does it get in St. Louis anyway?

post #5 of 19 Old 02-22-2007, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

The hottest days of summer get into the upper 90's/ low 100's, but the humidity brings heat indeces upward of 110-115. In other words, miserably hot. That is why I'm going for a mesh jacket. Most of what I've read tells me that most non-mesh jackets are good up to 90 degrees or so, but get pretty uncomfortable after that. Would you think that's a fair statement?

post #6 of 19 Old 02-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Most of what I've read tells me that most non-mesh jackets are good up to 90 degrees or so, but get pretty uncomfortable after that. Would you think that's a fair statement?
Depends on how much protection the bike has, how fast you travel, and how many stops you make. And if you're in the sun, color has a lot to do with it too. Just my .02

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Im in Austin , gets super hot here as well,yeah pretty uncomfortable, I just sweat, one good thing though once you start moving feels nice and cool .str8

post #8 of 19 Old 02-23-2007, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, my jacket arrived today and I have to say it's nicer than I expected. It's got leather on the shoulders and forearms, all the armor seems heavy and thick, and all the stiching is tight and top notch. It's adjustable in the right places, plus all the zippers work flawlessly, which I was worried about. It also looks much nicer in hand than it does online. All in all, I think it was a good buy. Seems just as good as JR stuff to me.

post #9 of 19 Old 02-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

I guess I didn't read you had already pulled the trigger on it. Did you try doing any research on the company? I could not find EXL racing anywhere other than EBAY. Take advantage of their advertised 105% guarantee, and buy a perf'd leather jacket if you want full ventilation. For $150, you could have a Teknic from motorcycle closeouts.

Teknic Prowler

Perforated Leather jackets

Just throwing out options for you.

post #10 of 19 Old 02-23-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
I guess I didn't read you had already pulled the trigger on it. Did you try doing any research on the company? I could not find EXL racing anywhere other than EBAY. Take advantage of their advertised 105% guarantee, and buy a perf'd leather jacket if you want full ventilation. For $150, you could have a Teknic from motorcycle closeouts.

Teknic Prowler

Perforated Leather jackets

Just throwing out options for you.
That's a very nice looking jacket, and I'm sure it protects better than what I bought, but I also need something that I can use when it's 100 plus degrees out in the summer; do you think that jacket would work in that kind of heat?

post #11 of 19 Old 02-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Worked for me here in NC. 90+ degrees in the summer w/ 90% humidity. Add to that sitting on the grid waiting to get out on the track in July @ VIR, and Barber in Alabama.

post #12 of 19 Old 02-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Ok, what do you guys think of this as a basic riding jacket?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/169-N...7123QQtcZphoto

Just so you know, my impulsiveness has already made me purchase one (black and silver to match the 9'r, looks like black and white in the picture) and it should be here on Friday. If it seems to be crap I'll send it back, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
It's mesh, you'd be better off with leather for protection.

post #13 of 19 Old 02-25-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
It's mesh, you'd be better off with leather for protection.
Although mesh has pretty much never failed anyone. (not commenting on this jacket just mesh in general)

post #14 of 19 Old 02-25-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

I know that leather is probably stronger, but I still think that mesh is what I want to go with. Ultimate breathability is going to be very important to me when it's disgustingly hot here in the summer. I am considering buying another jacket for when it's a little cooler though.
Now I just need some reinforced riding jeans, some that won't shred in a slide. Any suggestions besides the JR steel jeans, or are those about it?

post #15 of 19 Old 02-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Now I just need some reinforced riding jeans, some that won't shred in a slide. Any suggestions besides the JR steel jeans, or are those about it?
http://www.dragginjeans.com/

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

mesh - the illusion of safety!

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #18 of 19 Old 02-25-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
mesh - the illusion of safety!
What is wrong with mesh? It seems to do the job just fine. Nobody has yet told me of a bad story involving mesh.

post #19 of 19 Old 02-25-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! You've been a big help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode