Dual Sport Helmets - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 09-30-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Dual Sport Helmets

Have been thinking about getting a dual sport helmet, relatively new phenomenon, looks like a motocross helmet with a visor. I can't wear regular open face MX helmets with goggles, the goggles just don't fit over my glasses very well. Could use a dual sport helmet both on the street or in the dirt with the shield open and sunglasses to protect my eyes, I like that concept.

There are 4 different manufacturers currently offering dual sport helmets in the US. The AFX FX-37DS is the least expensive one at around $100. I ordered one of these just to check it out, thought if it was halfway decent I couldn't lose. Was disappointed though, didn't fit too bad and looked cool but very thin padding and the chin strap was placed too far back and choked me, sent that one back.

My friend Dustin has the Shoei Hornet DS, very nice helmet but pushing $500 and I don't really want to spend that much for second helmet. I tried the DS on at MotoGP, excellent helmet as you would expect from Shoei and fit perfectly.

I also checked out the Arai XD-3 at MotoGP, another very nice helmet, fit well and excellent quality. Even more expensive though at $550 to over $600 depending on finish.

The one that just hit the market and has me intrigued is the new Joe Rocket RKT Hybrid helmet. It's manufactured by HJC and I've always had good luck with their helmets fitting me well. It has the features I'm looking for and best of all is available for $150. Joe Rocket RKT-Hybrid Motorcycle Helmet :: New Enough, LTD

My one concern with this type of helmet is how much the visor will catch wind and make the helmet lift, although Dustin says on his Shoei that isn't an issue under about 80mph, but when he turns his head when changing lanes he notices some pull. All of the manufacturers claim that the visors are designed to let the air under them so there's no lift issue, I don't really ride my XR on the highway much anyway so probably not that much of a concern.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

went with a KBC the last time around. I had a FLY dirtbike helmet that I'd hoped would do ADV touring duty as well but the visor lift was so bad I had to remove the visor. The KBC did not lift anywhere near as much and had better padding.

Are you committed to the face shield style? - edit, nevermind, I just read closer.

post #3 of 31 Old 09-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Too bad the AFX was a bad fit, it's a wild looking helmet. Love Arai's but couldn't justify the price for the amount it would get used.

Dan

Dan

post #4 of 31 Old 09-30-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Too bad the AFX was a bad fit, it's a wild looking helmet. Love Arai's but couldn't justify the price for the amount it would get used.

Dan
Yeah, I could have lived with the padding on the AFX, it wasn't that bad, but I'm not sure why they placed the chin strap so far back. Read other reviews on motorcyclesuperstore.com saying the same thing, odd design.

I'm thinking I'll give that Joe Rocket a try and see how it fits.

post #5 of 31 Old 09-30-2009, 01:20 PM

considered eye surgery?

prices have been comming down and for the price of the nicer helmets here you could put a nice dent in the bill...just sayin

post #6 of 31 Old 09-30-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mike View Post
considered eye surgery?

prices have been comming down and for the price of the nicer helmets here you could put a nice dent in the bill...just sayin
Yeah, I'm not a candidate for lasik or even contacts so it's glasses for me.

post #7 of 31 Old 09-30-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Yeah, I'm not a candidate for lasik or even contacts so it's glasses for me.
sorry to hear that....I got mine done and it's definately made helmet wearing a lot easier

post #8 of 31 Old 09-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I haven't really looked into this type of helmet but I find a visor very annoying when I'm on the highway so I use a regular street helmet unless I'm trail riding. If you really don't go highway speeds very often you will probably be fine but if that changes you may find the visor annoying.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #9 of 31 Old 09-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I always wear my street bike helmet if I'm on the street since the visor on my HJC CL-15 dirt helmet trys to rip my head off from the wind on the freeway.
visors not a problem plonking along at 30 on a fire road.

Dan

Dan
post #10 of 31 Old 10-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I have the Shoei Hornet DS. Great helmet, top notch quality (as expected from Shoei). I have also owned the Arai XD (original version) It was comfortable, but the visor would never stay in the up position while riding. I hear they have fixed that with the new XD3.

post #11 of 31 Old 10-01-2009, 05:35 AM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

These helmets are so cool methinks there is one in my future...

Do these thngs tend to fog up on cold days? That would be my only concern........

post #12 of 31 Old 10-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDJAM View Post
These helmets are so cool methinks there is one in my future...

Do these thngs tend to fog up on cold days? That would be my only concern........
My Arai did, but the Shoei came with a chin spoiler to keep out cold air. I use that in combination with a Respro Foggy breath guard and have zero fog issues when the weather turns chilly.

post #13 of 31 Old 10-01-2009, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

I've ordered the Rocket Hybrid, will check it out and post a review. If that doesn't work out to my satisfaction I'll bite the bullet and buy the Shoei.

post #14 of 31 Old 10-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Arai XD is sick without the visor. i almost bought one.

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #15 of 31 Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
My Arai did, but the Shoei came with a chin spoiler to keep out cold air. I use that in combination with a Respro Foggy breath guard and have zero fog issues when the weather turns chilly.
The Respro guard is a priceless addition to any helmet. I have had it in all my helmets - from Arai to KBC's

post #16 of 31 Old 10-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

I have an XD and it may fog a wee bit but it's easy to crack and the chin vent works. All my helmets fog.

I run it trails and Hwy on the Motard.

Higher than dirt speed and googles slowly being compressed into my face just don't do it. I find the visor to be a help too. In the rain there is no bubble to crawl into so I pull it right down and cant my head so I get a bit of a break in the water pelting the visor. On nice days I just push the visor to the highest spot.

post #17 of 31 Old 10-01-2009, 04:43 PM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

I have always been a firm believer that a person pays for a helmet, whatever his head is worth!

$10 helmet for a $10 head!

It only takes 1 good crash to realize how fast you can crack your coconut. I've cracked a helmet when I raced flat track. I "KNOW" what a hard hit is.

I wear my street helmets (Arai's) on the tard. I have looked into the hybrid helmet and will most likely get one this winter. The Arai and Shoei both look nice and have a great rep for safety.

Playing hooligan on a 08 Husky SM610 and WR250X.

Making dream homes come true! Virginia Beach Remodeling

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat
post #18 of 31 Old 10-08-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Received the Rocket Hybrid this week and am currently sitting at my computer wearing it trying to decide if I like it. I'm weird like that.

I went with the gloss black one, very good looking helmet with a quality finish. I like the "Luke, I am your father" styling. It's relatively light, although every helmet feels heavier than my carbon fiber HJC AC12. The fit is good, XL fits snug, although the cheek pads are a bit intrusive. Probably would break in and be fine with time and wear though.

The liner is decently padded, although not up to the Arai or Shoei standards. It's far superior to the AFX one I tried previously though. The visor seems solid and sticks out far enough to offer protection from sun and branches. The face shield lifts up under the visor, although it doesn't quite disappear from my line of vision at the top. I think with the visor removed the face shield would go fully up. It doesn't really snap closed, more just rests on the sealing surface, but that seems to be the case with all these dual sport helmets. Might be noisy on the highway but that's not what I need it for anyway.

One thing I do like better than the Shoei or the Arai is that they've used metal attaching screws for the visor and face shield instead of nylon. You can remove the visor and there are a couple of small finishing plates to cover the mounting holes. It seems well vented, even wearing it inside with the shield closed I can get plenty of fresh air. It has a chin vent along with two on top under the visor, then two outlets in the back. You can't open and close the vents though, so that's a minus.

It's not as nice as the Shoei or Arai, but it is pretty decent, especially for $150. I'm looking at this as my secondary helmet that I'll only wear when I'm ripping around off road on the XR650L, having a hard time spending $600 for a helmet I won't wear all the time. I'm still debating, makes it tough when I'm not able to ride right now and can't test it on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RocketHybrid1.jpg (56.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg RocketHybrid2.jpg (49.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg RocketHybrid3.jpg (53.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg RocketHybrid4.jpg (51.0 KB, 4 views)

post #19 of 31 Old 10-10-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Forget the cheap helmets, bought a silver Shoei Hornet DS on sale locally today for $409. The Rocket Hybrid is decent for the price but there's really no comparison with the Shoei.

post #20 of 31 Old 10-10-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

This one...

post #21 of 31 Old 10-10-2009, 03:35 PM
no max no more

dont look like it works to good on a naked at highway speeds

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #22 of 31 Old 10-10-2009, 05:52 PM
"VonZipper"

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Man if I knew you were packing that kind of cash when I saw you at Cycle Outfitters I'da had to roll 'ya! You would never catch me with that peg leg! Great Bumping in to you this afternoon Scott. Sure looks like a nice lid. Jim

If you have a Ten Dollar Head, get a $10.00 Helmet.
post #23 of 31 Old 10-10-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
dont look like it works to good on a naked at highway speeds
Yeah, luckily I only plan to use it for a DUAL SPORT helmet. I am curious though how the visor will react with the FJR's windscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLee View Post
Man if I knew you were packing that kind of cash when I saw you at Cycle Outfitters I'da had to roll 'ya! You would never catch me with that peg leg! Great Bumping in to you this afternoon Scott. Sure looks like a nice lid. Jim
Good to see you too Jim, even if I can't ride it's good to get out and rub elbows with motorcycle people!

post #24 of 31 Old 10-10-2009, 06:57 PM
no max no more

[QUOTE=sbeau1960;360912]Yeah, luckily I only plan to use it for a DUAL SPORT helmet. I am curious though how the visor will react with the FJR's windscreen.

strap it on tight just in case

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #25 of 31 Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #26 of 31 Old 10-10-2009, 08:23 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Glasses + Helmets + P.I.A I'll be interested to hear how it works for you Scott. I should get some contacts again, I've been out for a few months. Considering going with a Shark Evoline just for the convenience of being able to get my Glasse on/off easier, plus the option of the built in Sunvisor is appealing, since without my contacts I cant wear my Sunglasses.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #27 of 31 Old 10-11-2009, 05:13 AM
"VonZipper"

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Justin, I have the Scorpion 900 and like it a ton, you might look into it.

http://shopping.scorpionusa.com/C55D...92AEFA5C10E7BF

If you have a Ten Dollar Head, get a $10.00 Helmet.
post #28 of 31 Old 10-11-2009, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post
Glasses + Helmets + P.I.A I'll be interested to hear how it works for you Scott. I should get some contacts again, I've been out for a few months. Considering going with a Shark Evoline just for the convenience of being able to get my Glasse on/off easier, plus the option of the built in Sunvisor is appealing, since without my contacts I cant wear my Sunglasses.
My glasses fit well under it, need to get some larger prescription sunglasses instead of my small clip ons to wear off road with the visor up. Guess I could wear my sports goggles, that would be a special look.

I do love the way this helmet fits, it's my first Shoei and I'm extremely impressed by the interior padding, that's what really separates it from the cheaper ones. The venting is impressive too with five adjustable vents, I'm sure the airflow and interior comfort will spoil me and I'll be wearing this helmet all the time.

post #29 of 31 Old 10-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase

Once you get into the premium helmets its hard to go back. I used to have HJC's etc, but once I got my first Shoei it was so much more comfortable! In fact after 3 yrs of use its still in great shape, but getting a little looser now, time for new pads, or maybe just a new helmet.

post #30 of 31 Old 10-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLee View Post
Justin, I have the Scorpion 900 and like it a ton, you might look into it.

http://shopping.scorpionusa.com/C55D...92AEFA5C10E7BF
Thanks for the tip. Do you ride with the chinbar in place on that usually? Not sure that I would ever take it completely off. Its the same weight as the shark from what I gather, I've tried the shark on and it fits me well, I like the fact that the chinbar folds all the way to the back, so you could wear it open, but always have it there ready to flip into place.

post #31 of 31 Old 10-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
My glasses fit well under it, need to get some larger prescription sunglasses instead of my small clip ons to wear off road with the visor up. Guess I could wear my sports goggles, that would be a special look.

I do love the way this helmet fits, it's my first Shoei and I'm extremely impressed by the interior padding, that's what really separates it from the cheaper ones. The venting is impressive too with five adjustable vents, I'm sure the airflow and interior comfort will spoil me and I'll be wearing this helmet all the time.
I second that. And it does just fine on a naked at highway speeds. No guarantee if you hit triple digits, but mine does well enough @ 70+ on the motard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode