Curious About Pricing on Suits - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Curious About Pricing on Suits

Hi Folks -

I am exploring a new business structure and plan. If you are not all WAY TOO mad at me, please share your thoughts and opinions here.

Firstly, I will say that I am once again re-invigorated by your support and being able to deliver the gloves.

How much is a suit worth? I know this can be subjective based on the buyer's opinion and what he or she wants. Also, you have a TON of manufacturers out there, with more coming out daily.

So, the question is what makes a Dainese worth $1699 to $2399, or an Alpinestars worth $999 to $1899, or an AGV worth only $599 or so?

What would you pay for a suit? What do you consider a good suit? What features must it have? And what would make you spend more or less on a suit? What is value to you?

A lot of questions, but all will be explained in time.

As an example, I will post up pictures of the Veloce Primus Prototype for discussion. What would you think it's worth? Why?

PRIMUS PROTOTYPE:

Features: Premium Cow 1.55mm to 2.00mm thick cowhide. Triple stitching on all main joints / seams. Full size Areo-Hump. Stage 1 CE Armor in Elbows, Legs, and shoulders. Padding for ribs and kidneys. Ventilation on shoulders. Velcro wrist cuffs and collar. Accordion leather panels for advanced mobility and flexibility and comfort. Fully lined. Tail bone padding. Perforated panels for ventilation.

Thanks,

Michael.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

2K Canadian is about high as I feel comfortable paying. That gets you into the average Dainese one piece or a Nankai/RS Taichi import. The super fancy Dainese will go about 3K when new off the boat.

Lower spec, house brand stuff, Teknic, Joe Rocket, etc. seems to hover around 1K.

I have no real issue with paying 2-3K for a suit now but with the last suit I got under 2K after spending some time chatting. Clover RC-100. Not trying to contradict myself here, the extra for super flashy graphics isn't something I worry about now.

post #3 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 10:47 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Wounds are still too fresh...

I will refrain!

But thats a nice looking suit.. with top shelf matls and features. Will $1500 cover your costs? And make you a profit?

I LOVE Tig Bitties!

post #4 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Not bad looking suits. However, they still run up to or over $1K Canadian. What helped your decision to buy this suit? Did colors come into play? Design? Features?

You seem to be more of a discerning buyer... if I may say so. Your mentioning Taichi, Dainese and your choice of this Clover suits suggests that you are not neccesarily swayed by "cheaper" suits.

post #5 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
Wounds are still too fresh...

I will refrain!

But thats a nice looking suit.. with top shelf matls and features. Will $1500 cover your costs? And make you a profit?
Hey Mid - Please... comment freely, wounds or not. I cannot change that, and I have to deal with it.

The price covering cost is not my primary goal at the moment. I am trying to get a real idea of what a suit is worth to buyers. Why are Dainese suits still selling for over a thousand if you can buy a Teknic or MotoGP suit for less? What makes the difference?

I did however stay at a Holiday Inn... Nah... I actually did receive the FINAL Primus prototype and I am reviewing it at the moment. Even my new manufacturers don't want Veloce to die, so I am exploring various other business ideas.

WIM

post #6 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
Hey Mid - Please... comment freely, wounds or not. I cannot change that, and I have to deal with it.

The price covering cost is not my primary goal at the moment. I am trying to get a real idea of what a suit is worth to buyers. Why are Dainese suits still selling for over a thousand if you can buy a Teknic or MotoGP suit for less? What makes the difference?

I did however stay at a Holiday Inn... Nah... I actually did receive the FINAL Primus prototype and I am reviewing it at the moment. Even my new manufacturers don't want Veloce to die, so I am exploring various other business ideas.

WIM
Excellent... we all want it to live! Just so we can tell everyone the golve story!

I would say fit #1, leather quality #2, and looks/design #3 would go into my decision. Price determined by #1-#3. But I am a guy who buys things never based on price and typically overspends for quality.

Maybe #4 would be availability... you know... not waiting 16 months for a freaking suit! (I couldnt resist!)

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #7 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
Excellent... we all want it to live! Just so we can tell everyone the golve story!

I would say fit #1, leather quality #2, and looks/design #3 would go into my decision. Price determined by #1-#3. But I am a guy who buys things never based on price and typically overspends for quality.

Maybe #4 would be availability... you know... not waiting 16 months for a freaking suit! (I couldnt resist!)
OUCH! How about a few weeks only?

Thanks though Mid, I often wonder how many units of the high end suits actually sell.

post #8 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I bought Dainese for a few reasons.

In random order:

1. I saw so many top riders wearing them. I know how particular they can be with things.

2. The looks. So many suits out there LOOk like they take someone elses design and then just change this or that to make it look "different". Dainese seems to keep the designs fresh, not too fancy looking but not a snore either.

3. Feel. Comfort is king when 99.99999999999% of the time you're not sliding across the ground in it. I tried on a bunch of suits and they all had things about them that made me think that they'd irritate me here or there after a while. The Dainese was like a glove but still very comfy.

4. You can get them custom fitted.

Price... well, it's more, but who cares when you're talking your main piece of safety equipment?

There are other top notch companies to go with that have all the same benefits that I looked for but at the end you just have to make a decision on one... Dainese has hype behind their name and their quality and that helped in the very end to decide, to be honest. Plus I got like $400 off on it.

You can do a market research just by going to a website that sells high and low end suits and see what they have listed as their top selling suits. Example.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #9 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
I bought Dainese for a few reasons.

In random order:

1. I saw so many top riders wearing them. I know how particular they can be with things.

2. The looks. So many suits out there LOOk like they take someone elses design and then just change this or that to make it look "different". Dainese seems to keep the designs fresh, not too fancy looking but not a snore either.

3. Feel. Comfort is king when 99.99999999999% of the time you're not sliding across the ground in it. I tried on a bunch of suits and they all had things about them that made me think that they'd irritate me here or there after a while. The Dainese was like a glove but still very comfy.

4. You can get them custom fitted.

Price... well, it's more, but who cares when you're talking your main piece of safety equipment?

There are other top notch companies to go with that have all the same benefits that I looked for but at the end you just have to make a decision on one... Dainese has hype behind their name and their quality and that helped in the very end to decide, to be honest. Plus I got like $400 off on it.

You can do a market research just by going to a website that sells high and low end suits and see what they have listed as their top selling suits. Example.
I go on Kneedraggers all the time. They are actually really cool guys and they advertise fair market retail prices. However, one thing that kind of market research cannot give me is the actual reasoning behind a consumer's choice.

You are right that Dainese has a lot behind their name. They do put a lot into their suits. Or at least they did. I am not so sure these days. I have examined A-Stars and Dainese suits close up, and there is more I would ask for at that price.

post #10 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Quote:
Not bad looking suits. However, they still run up to or over $1K Canadian. What helped your decision to buy this suit? Did colors come into play? Design? Features?

You seem to be more of a discerning buyer... if I may say so. Your mentioning Taichi, Dainese and your choice of this Clover suits suggests that you are not neccesarily swayed by "cheaper" suits.
Colour and style used to come into play but now I look more for black/grey with some accent as all the flash looks so bad after a few trips through the bugs. Well executed low key still can sway me. The Japan suits we get here still are very speed racer, not bad looking but not what I'm after myself.

Design for sure, it may seem funny but the hump's a big deal. So may suits seem to have a badly made gigantic hump sewn on for looks. All it does is create a huge pressure point that makes the whole deal a do go. A comfortable collar, good tab to secure the zipper, removeable liner, soft pads in the right place and real not for show sliders tie in too.

Dealer support, repairs and fine tuning also play in. Clover let me order plain or punched also so getting a vented suit helped balance out the solar heat of it being black/grey.

Dainese does seem to suffering a bit from their own success. When I got my suits from them they were really the only choice for an off the rack race suit. Since then choices have opened up and with that more riders will buy the name on the suit vs. what you get at the end of the day.

post #11 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Enormous member

I'll hit the other end of the spectrum on this one - I'm a price buyer, largely. I have a Frank Thomas Strike that I purchased because it was on sale. That and the fact that at the time I was having a hard time getting a good fit, since I was 240lbs at only 5'8". I seem to have it a little easier now that I'm around 190.

But really? I'll buy $400-$500 suits all day long. I had an expensive Vanson suit many years ago, and frankly, other than some minor nits, I've been satisfied with the cheaper stuff.

post #12 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

In my order due to my fit issues and timing. I'm a last minute shopper most of the time and want it now.

So, my order would be as follows:

1. Quality for the dollar
2. Time to deliver. This is not a dig in any way. I would live to see a custom or semi-custom suit deliver in a few days.
3. Features is third because I believe a basic suit should have all the basics.
4. Price. This is subjective. I believe a good product can be had at a good price. A good custom or semi-custom with a few "bonus" features should be in the $750-$1000 range for me.

I'd like to see the Honda Accord of suits. You have everything need and a few things you'd like in a semi-custom package. You know it's reliable and a great bang for the buck.

post #13 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 01:35 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

If you have created a name for yourself over the years (Dainese, Nankai, A-Star) then, you can charge more than others for your high end suits even if they are match with the likes of Joe Rocket or Teknic because people still believe (most of the times) that... the higher the price, the better the item has to be. Saying that, most of the time this holds true but not as of late (it seems).

Just like cars, looks play a good part on my buying decision... if I don't like the item, I have a hard time beleiving that I am going to enjoy wearing it or using it even if it is rated the best by everyone out there. Case in point, the Honda Accord, I haven't had one of them since 1987 because they all look like other cars or look like crap and this is true as of late.

I used to have a Nankai suit that I loved because, without being custom made, fitted me like a surgeons glove, the others I used to own didn't fit as good (one of the being a Dainese that used to retail for 1400 back then).

post #14 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

There's a guy in Portland, OR who will tailor a custom suit for you, but i can't find his name or URL at the moment. Big Dave might know who i'm talking about. i think the starting price is $1500. A lot of the local racers use him. He charges extra for grpahics and will even put your name on it. I believe he will repair it for you for free.

For me it would be that kind of fit and service that would make be feel better about paying that much for a suit. My problem is i can't find one off the shelf that fits me properly - long arms and a bit barrel chested. I have a tough time getting the right fit from Jackets too. I can stuff myself into a 46 or rattle around in a 48.

post #15 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
Colour and style used to come into play but now I look more for black/grey with some accent as all the flash looks so bad after a few trips through the bugs. Well executed low key still can sway me. The Japan suits we get here still are very speed racer, not bad looking but not what I'm after myself.

Design for sure, it may seem funny but the hump's a big deal. So may suits seem to have a badly made gigantic hump sewn on for looks. All it does is create a huge pressure point that makes the whole deal a do go. A comfortable collar, good tab to secure the zipper, removeable liner, soft pads in the right place and real not for show sliders tie in too.

Dealer support, repairs and fine tuning also play in. Clover let me order plain or punched also so getting a vented suit helped balance out the solar heat of it being black/grey.

Dainese does seem to suffering a bit from their own success. When I got my suits from them they were really the only choice for an off the rack race suit. Since then choices have opened up and with that more riders will buy the name on the suit vs. what you get at the end of the day.
You make some valid points. I researched things like the hump on many levels and I agree some manufacturers have missed the mark on this feature. I won't name names, but some can actually be detrimental to your health. Much like any other field, the global economy, economies of scale, and opening markets have opened this market to many other entrants - thus Dainese find themselves competiting these days. However, quality is still quality and you get what you pay for. Also, name still plays a major part in buying decisions. Also image. A good example is Fieldsheer. They have an interesting history, but... they have always used high quality materials, but sadly, their image and name was built on selling to more the cruiser and sport touring crowd and thus their racing gear is not as popular.

With houses like Dainese, Alpinestars, Spidi and higher end suits, their design also have to meet form in function and application. Their suits may sometimes appear boring, but it is because of certain functions and features they aim to preserve. I adopted a similar design ethic when it came to Veloce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I'll hit the other end of the spectrum on this one - I'm a price buyer, largely. I have a Frank Thomas Strike that I purchased because it was on sale. That and the fact that at the time I was having a hard time getting a good fit, since I was 240lbs at only 5'8". I seem to have it a little easier now that I'm around 190.

But really? I'll buy $400-$500 suits all day long. I had an expensive Vanson suit many years ago, and frankly, other than some minor nits, I've been satisfied with the cheaper stuff.
John - You do make an interesting point on the other end of the spectrum. Can a $500 suit save your life? Yes, of course it can. It if a question of things like survivability of the suit, comfort features of the suit, level of quality of the raw materials. Not to say less expensive leather is not good, but then you start to differentiate between the types of leather and what you get. Higher levels means more supple and softer, and also retains richer colors and what nots. You are also right on the issue of fit. Sadly, off the rack suits have to be built to fit a broad range of measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
In my order due to my fit issues and timing. I'm a last minute shopper most of the time and want it now.

So, my order would be as follows:

1. Quality for the dollar
2. Time to deliver. This is not a dig in any way. I would live to see a custom or semi-custom suit deliver in a few days.
3. Features is third because I believe a basic suit should have all the basics.
4. Price. This is subjective. I believe a good product can be had at a good price. A good custom or semi-custom with a few "bonus" features should be in the $750-$1000 range for me.

I'd like to see the Honda Accord of suits. You have everything need and a few things you'd like in a semi-custom package. You know it's reliable and a great bang for the buck.
$750 to $1000 will buy you a good suit. But to get a good custom suit in that range means something has to be cheap on the suit. A basic suit sadly conforms to that term "Basic". And being basic means it is there to just perform that basic function of saving your behind. No frills, no thrills, etc. What makes a custom suit expensive - much like a business suit is that the manufacturer has to make a one-off template for you. In other words, the leather panels are cut against a design template. To make your suit, a template has to be made to accomodate your measurements into a particular design accounting for the trimming, colors, etc. Also, making it in a few days is near impossible due to the amount of work involved. I have seen and experienced low priced custom suits and the compromises made to meet price make the excercise a lesson in failure.

I don't know that there is one suit that can be considered the Honda of all suits. But there are quite a few out there close to the mark. However, once you look to that kind of suit, you will always have the issue of fit.

post #16 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Wim (and anyone else), what do you think about Syed?
They can make a suit for under $1000, with full perf. and armor(besides back protector) and appear to be good quality?
ONE COLOR: (with options P-1, V-1)
One Piece Suit ........................................... $965
Two Piece Suit ........................................... $1045
Jacket Only ................................................ $510

DESIGNS #1-20: (with options P-1, V-1)
One Piece Suit ........................................... $1095
Two Piece Suit ........................................... $1175
Jacket Only ................................................ $505

DESIGNS #21-40: (with options P-1, V-1)
One Piece Suit ........................................... $1185
Two Piece Suit ........................................... $1275
Jacket Only ................................................ $625

http://www.syedleathers.com

post #17 of 110 Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
If you have created a name for yourself over the years (Dainese, Nankai, A-Star) then, you can charge more than others for your high end suits even if they are match with the likes of Joe Rocket or Teknic because people still believe (most of the times) that... the higher the price, the better the item has to be. Saying that, most of the time this holds true but not as of late (it seems).

Just like cars, looks play a good part on my buying decision... if I don't like the item, I have a hard time beleiving that I am going to enjoy wearing it or using it even if it is rated the best by everyone out there. Case in point, the Honda Accord, I haven't had one of them since 1987 because they all look like other cars or look like crap and this is true as of late.

I used to have a Nankai suit that I loved because, without being custom made, fitted me like a surgeons glove, the others I used to own didn't fit as good (one of the being a Dainese that used to retail for 1400 back then).
RC - You make a very valid point... I know.. it's rare! But, you are right, the more name / brand recognition you have the more you can charge. However, that said - that kind of branding and pricing can only last so long what with the amount of competition these days. Unless you have a limited access product like a Ducati - charging premium for an item that is pretty much accessible to the masses is not going to hold much more ground. At least I think not.

That said, a higher price still should mean a better product. You do get what you pay for, but these days, it depends on what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakin919 View Post
There's a guy in Portland, OR who will tailor a custom suit for you, but i can't find his name or URL at the moment. Big Dave might know who i'm talking about. i think the starting price is $1500. A lot of the local racers use him. He charges extra for grpahics and will even put your name on it. I believe he will repair it for you for free.

For me it would be that kind of fit and service that would make be feel better about paying that much for a suit. My problem is i can't find one off the shelf that fits me properly - long arms and a bit barrel chested. I have a tough time getting the right fit from Jackets too. I can stuff myself into a 46 or rattle around in a 48.
I think you mean Zooni Leathers. But, as far as I know, they are in San Jose, not Portland. Someone correct me if I am wrong. However, it stills comes down to this - you pay premium for a custom suit, regardless of who makes it - Z Leathers, Zooni or Bates or Syed. You highlight a point I was trying to make... apparel is built to certain standard measurements and thus size and shape play a very significant part in fitting, almost secondary to chest size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
Wim (and anyone else), what do you think about Syed?
They can make a suit for under $1000, with full perf. and armor(besides back protector) and appear to be good quality?
ONE COLOR: (with options P-1, V-1)
One Piece Suit ........................................... $965
Two Piece Suit ........................................... $1045
Jacket Only ................................................ $510

DESIGNS #1-20: (with options P-1, V-1)
One Piece Suit ........................................... $1095
Two Piece Suit ........................................... $1175
Jacket Only ................................................ $505

DESIGNS #21-40: (with options P-1, V-1)
One Piece Suit ........................................... $1185
Two Piece Suit ........................................... $1275
Jacket Only ................................................ $625

http://www.syedleathers.com
I have no personal experience with Syed suits. But that said, I have am yet to hear a negative comment about them. Sorry, couldn't be more help on that.

post #18 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 AM

Awards Showcase

Bottom Line... Make them good looking (aside from the before mentioned good features) and they will sell.

The same holds true for the other side of the token... if they are butt ugly (kinda like you ) you won't be able to give them away for FREE!!!

post #19 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Bottom Line... Make them good looking (aside from the before mentioned good features) and they will sell.

The same holds true for the other side of the token... if they are butt ugly (kinda like you ) you won't be able to give them away for FREE!!!
So.... I guess Sporty likes butt ugly men. I get her for FREE!!!

Thanks. I am exploring an idea, but need one more test to see if it if viable or not. You guys kept me inspired, so I am trying to see if I can give Veloce one more shot.

post #20 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 07:47 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

well... for me now, fit and material/construction quality is top, design and price are second.

I just picked up a new (2005 but new) Teknic Speedstar, the last model they made in 'roo skin. I have the MotoGP compression suit as well, was my first suit. I was initially impressed with the GP's leather and construction, but after wearing it on the track the first weekend, I lost my love. It did not fit right at all. It was ok through the chest and gut (i've got some extra mid-section on me and got a 48) but the knees and lower arms were HUGE! I think I paid $650 for it in the summer of '05 when they first came out.

This new Teknic, I got it for the same price, but can instantly tell it is a $1500 suit (at least retail). The fit is miles better, it's a 46 and is about perfect everywhere, tho still a little tight with a chest protector on, but 10 pounds off oughta cover that. The ventilation is great, the roo skin is so soft and supple, and the construction is top notch!

I guess overall... would I have paid $1000 for this suit without this current knowledge? probably not... but now, if the money was available, I definitely would. After only two trackdays, I've appreciated what a top-level suit (even an off-the-shelf one) feels like. I think it's worth the extra money if you're not on a tight budget. I can tell you that I won't purchase a lower-end suit again.

post #21 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblur View Post
well... for me now, fit and material/construction quality is top, design and price are second.

I just picked up a new (2005 but new) Teknic Speedstar, the last model they made in 'roo skin. I have the MotoGP compression suit as well, was my first suit. I was initially impressed with the GP's leather and construction, but after wearing it on the track the first weekend, I lost my love. It did not fit right at all. It was ok through the chest and gut (i've got some extra mid-section on me and got a 48) but the knees and lower arms were HUGE! I think I paid $650 for it in the summer of '05 when they first came out.

This new Teknic, I got it for the same price, but can instantly tell it is a $1500 suit (at least retail). The fit is miles better, it's a 46 and is about perfect everywhere, tho still a little tight with a chest protector on, but 10 pounds off oughta cover that. The ventilation is great, the roo skin is so soft and supple, and the construction is top notch!

I guess overall... would I have paid $1000 for this suit without this current knowledge? probably not... but now, if the money was available, I definitely would. After only two trackdays, I've appreciated what a top-level suit (even an off-the-shelf one) feels like. I think it's worth the extra money if you're not on a tight budget. I can tell you that I won't purchase a lower-end suit again.
I have actually sold both those suits and know Teknics products first hand. I will say that Teknic has come a very long way. They used to have terrible quality and seam issues, most of their suits would not last more than one minor incident before coming apart. I feel okay saying this because they made MAJOR improvements in their designs, their quality and the level of their products. Are they worth $1499 for the Speedstar, that is subjective. MotoGP ( They will no longer be called MotoGP, they might either become defunct or be known as Berik - their original name) came out with interesting suits at what would be deemed as killer prices. Their suits seemed pretty decent, but on closer inspection and from feedback from racers, they still fell a little short of the High End bar. You however support the point that you get what you pay for.

One thing for everyone to note is that Kangaroo skin is a tough hide to work with and wear. Not that it is bad, but realize that Kangaroo skin is not cheap and to get High Grade Roo skin, expect to pay through the teeth. There are at least about 10 different grades of Roo skin, so a Roo skin suit for under $1000 may not be top grain. Does it matter? Only to a very discerning buyer. The other thing to note about Roo skin is that it WILL NOT stretch. And.... it does not breath like cow hide. It it definately lighter by weight, and has great abrasion resistance. But there is still a reason your top end guys like Alpinestars, Dainese, and Spidi still carry primarily cowhide suits.

post #22 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

You like to say Roo skin, don't ya?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #23 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Adding To The Mix

Okay... so to add a bit more to the mix, how would you evaluate a suit like this final sample of the Primus suit. I was going to send it out for testing, but probably can't do that right now. I got it in recently. These pictures really don't do it justice. The leather is now richer - both in quality and color tones. The leather was re-done to make it more supple and natural feeling - think Dainese.

It has similar properties as the other / first Primus Prototype, but with some aesthetic and functional updates.

PRIMUS SUIT

Features: Premium "Naked" leather cowhide 1.2mm to 1.5mm thick. Triple stitching on all main joints / seams. Full size Aerodynamic Race Hump. Stage 1 CE Armor in Elbows, Legs (Long length GP Style), and shoulders. Padding for ribs and kidneys. Extra padding in upper arm for added protection. Ventilation on shoulders. Velcro wrist cuffs and collar. Accordion leather panels for advanced mobility and flexibility and comfort. Fully lined. Tail bone padding. Perforated panels for ventilation. Patented articulated Hip Padding - using CE Foam. CE Level 1 Spine Protector - Dual Density. Knee Sliders included. Stretch Kevlar sections in critical areas for added mobility. Seamless forearm for better sliding / abrasion resistance. Perforated panels / sections for ventilation.

post #24 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Again... I am curios as what a suit like this would sell for? I already have ideas, but this question might create a new idea. Thoughts?

post #25 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

If that suit wasn't built for someone shaped like a pear with a saggy a$$. I'd test it out for you.

I think that suit is worth 1 miiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllliiiiiiioooooooooooo oooooooooooonnnn, triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiii ooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnn, gaziiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiii iiiiiiioooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn dollars.

post #26 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
If that suit wasn't built for someone shaped like a pear with a saggy a$$. I'd test it out for you.

I think that suit is worth 1 miiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllliiiiiiioooooooooooo oooooooooooonnnn, triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiii ooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnn, gaziiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiii iiiiiiioooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn dollars.
Silly Rabbit! That suit was built for someone shaped like Hercules. The a$$ is not saggy, that is the accordion panel that makes this suit one HECKUVA comfortable suit. Hmmm... maybe I can sell just one and pay all my bills off at once

post #27 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Silly Rabbit! That suit was built for someone shaped like Hercules...
So, it should fit me perfectly!!!! Or, is it too small in the critical areas?

post #28 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
So, it should fit me perfectly!!!! Or, is it too small in the critical areas?
It might actually be TOO BIG... in certain lower regions.....

post #29 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

I bought an AlpineStar suit because I already had a leather jacket and pants and wanted a one piece for track days. So price played a part because I would not be useing it much.
Maybe later on if I do track days alot I would spring for a higher end suit but right now 1K will about do it.
Quick question what do you think about the Shift brand.I have a pair of Shift redline pants and really like them but don't have any hands on with many of the other top brands.

post #30 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Awards Showcase

WIMsy, a little advice if I may... Wear the suit yourself or pay someone to model it for you and snap some good Quality images, otherwise, the Asian Hoe is right when he says that it looks like a suit made for a Pear-Shape body with a big A$$ and it is hard in the eyes of the potential customer.

I know I wouldn't even think about getting it (if I were in the market) by looking at those pics... judt saying!

post #31 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlux21 View Post
I bought an AlpineStar suit because I already had a leather jacket and pants and wanted a one piece for track days. So price played a part because I would not be useing it much.
Maybe later on if I do track days alot I would spring for a higher end suit but right now 1K will about do it.
Quick question what do you think about the Shift brand.I have a pair of Shift redline pants and really like them but don't have any hands on with many of the other top brands.
I don't know that much about SHIFT. I do know they revamped their line up last year, but I don't know much about their quality. I will say that I like some of the innovations they came up with in their suits though. They were one of the few that offered hip padding in their suits that actually worked.

post #32 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
WIMsy, a little advice if I may... Wear the suit yourself or pay someone to model it for you and snap some good Quality images, otherwise, the Asian Hoe is right when he says that it looks like a suit made for a Pear-Shape body with a big A$$ and it is hard in the eyes of the potential customer.

I know I wouldn't even think about getting it (if I were in the market) by looking at those pics... judt saying!
Thanks... I was not trying to sell the suit. My question was more about what features or things would make a person buy a suit in the $1K or higher range. I just presented that to show features in a suit and as a baseline to compare.

post #33 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Thanks... I was not trying to sell the suit. My question was more about what features or things would make a person buy a suit in the $1K or higher range. I just presented that to show features in a suit and as a baseline to compare.
Well, sorry, I wasn't talking about that suit in particular but more for the General Way to present them to the masses... it is more appealing!

post #34 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Well, sorry, I wasn't talking about that suit in particular but more for the General Way to present them to the masses... it is more appealing!
No worries matey. I dig what you sayin... feel me? If i get a chance to do that, I most certainly will. Wanna model for me?

post #35 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Speaking of suits...
What happened to one of the last three customers of the ebay store who paid $1000 for a MX1 and claims he never got it just before the store got shut down?

post #36 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
Speaking of suits...
What happened to one of the last three customers of the ebay store who paid $1000 for a MX1 and claims he never got it just before the store got shut down?
I can't discuss that here. There is more involved. Much like the Veloce deal, things are being sorted as best as possible. There is still a lot to resolve.

post #37 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I think you mean Zooni Leathers. But, as far as I know, they are in San Jose, not Portland. Someone correct me if I am wrong. However, it stills comes down to this - you pay premium for a custom suit, regardless of who makes it - Z Leathers, Zooni or Bates or Syed. You highlight a point I was trying to make... apparel is built to certain standard measurements and thus size and shape play a very significant part in fitting, almost secondary to chest size.
The one in Portland is ACME motowear. they start pricing for cow at $1650. They'll also will make it to your color specs and pattern. They do track side repair at Portland's track.

post #38 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakin919 View Post
The one in Portland is ACME motowear. they start pricing for cow at $1650. They'll also will make it to your color specs and pattern. They do track side repair at Portland's track.
I just tried to check out their site, but you can't really get much information from it. I can't see any products or anything. I could not even see their prices either.

post #39 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I just tried to check out their site, but you can't really get much information from it. I can't see any products or anything. I could not even see their prices either.
yeah i know they posted the pricing info in one of the club racing forums. nice looking site, but pretty void of useful content. They are a very local company i guess.

post #40 of 110 Old 10-03-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:

+1, it is much easier to judge a suit when someone is wearing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode