Crashed Helmets Wanted - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 01-26-2007, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Crashed Helmets Wanted

OK
Here's the whole story. I RoadRaced here in Texas for many yrs, After a particularly nasty crash where a noob hit me I started doing some Helmet research. Sometimes the results aren't exactly what you'd expect. BUT the fact remains that any helmet is better than nothing and a used dropped damaged helmet is often exactly that,,,NOTHING.
Just a quick physics lesson here :
The injury to your brain is not just the impact of striking a surface but ALSO when your brain slams into the inside of your skull.
In an effort to stop brain injuries helmets are designed to do TWO things:
#1 Hard outer shell to protect against impact ie your head hits the pavement and busts like a melon.
#2 Styrofoam liner protects against closed head injuries Ie your brain slams into the inside of your skull think of dumping a bowl of Jello on the sidewalk. Styrofoam begins to crush at the point of impact between the skull and the hard outer shell of the helmet. The farther the Styrofoam compresses the harder it becomes to compress. So in a matter it acts as a shock absorber by bringing the deceleration to a gradual stop.
OK lets take a breath here I AM NOT a physicist engineer designer manufacturer employee of any Helmet Co. or Distributor. I'm just a guy who read pretty much anything he could about helmets after a bad wreck.
Whats furthermore lately there have been some articles that tend to point to Snell Helmets being too hard and cheaper polystyrene(Plastic) shell helmets transmitting less G force to the wearers head. Seems like the more you read the MORE confusing it becomes!
What I do personally feel (be careful this is MY opinion based on pure speculation and some reading) is that used helmets present a huge danger. I have seen HEAVILY Crashed helmets with a mere nick or chip to the out side. It is theoretically possible that a shell could be pretty scratched up and yet if there was no impact per say the liner could still be intact. So short of COMPLETE disassembly its impossible to know if the liner is damaged.

OK Time for another breather.
Over the last few years the # of noobs crashing has increased at a frightful rate. Myself and some of the other local racers(drag and road) and a few MSF instructors have tossed around the idea of doing some "Advanced Rider Classes" Well it never happened. Until this year. My wife went to work in a Local Motorcycle shop that has 4 Texas Stores( http://www.familypowersports.com/default.asp )
These guys are really trying hard to make inroads into the SportBike Community here and offered not only to host some "Rider Seminars" but to supply free coffee and donuts.
So after a lot of discussion the themes look something like this
Suspension Clinic
Helmet Clinic
Maintenance Clinic
Controls and adjustment Clinic
And a More aggressive rider skills Clinic.

Ready for another breather?
OK as I said earlier I'm NOT involved in the Helmet industry as anything other than a consumer. Here's the plan I have started collecting crashed Helmets which I am taking pictures of exterior damage then said Helmets will be cut in 1/2 across the impact area and the Styrofoam liner examined and measured. These Helmets will be used in the local Helmet Seminar and the possibly a second later in the year. Afterwards the Helmets will most likely be used as a sales tool in the Dealers stores and extras will be distributed among local Dealers as a Educational sales tool.
Lastly Pics and measurements will be compiled and posted on the Internet boards that I frequent. Photo's and information will be available for re publication distribution to any other sites that someone is interested in posting it on.

OK time for a friggin coffee break! Where's those free donuts!
So if you have an old CRASHED Helmet laying around It would cost about $5 to $15 to ship it out to us
. We started paying for the helmet shipping but after 5 helmets I'm in for about $70( I'm not a rich guy) and I still have to pay to have a machine shop cut them in 1/2. YOUR CRASHED HELMET DONATION here might make a difference in someones decision about buying a NEW helmet. Whats furthermore the more Helmets we manage to collect and cut open the more we stand to learn.
Again this is just 1 laymans attempt to help educate new riders old riders or riders too cheap to buy good gear. AND remember you get to see YOUR Helmet Hacked to death on the internet.

If your interested in donating a Helmet to this Project PLEASE mail it to:

Fugitive Recovery Service
CO: Marie Peterson
4612 Johnson Rd
Odessa Texas

If you have any ideas or suggestions please feel free to jump in here. Yeah I knew you were going to ask here are the first 6 helmets we received

San Francisco Street riders crash NO head injuries

2 100mph + Track Crashes (same Expert CMRRA RACER)

Texas street riders crash no injury

BRAND NEW $20 dirtbike helmet I bought just to cut open for comparison
I can't wait to see whats in here!

Texas race bike crash no injuries

So if you have something kicking around in the way cheap or high end it doesn't matter we would like to cut it in 1/2
Carl
and
Marie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-26-2007, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Also if you are interested in researching this subject here's a link that you might find interesting
http://helmetbargains.com/?p=38
SRAD

post #3 of 13 Old 01-28-2007, 08:08 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Do you want the head removed from the helmet first?

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton

post #4 of 13 Old 01-28-2007, 05:36 PM

I have two around here somewhere unless the wife pitched them. I don't know why I kept them..........I'll look tomorrow when I sober up.

post #5 of 13 Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

I don't think i threw mine out. Kept it for memories. If i still have it i will ship it to you. I did more of a face plant in mine but theres a good chip in the chin area.

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #6 of 13 Old 01-31-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'd REALLY appreciate the helmet donations guys!
We are getting ready to start cutting helmets in a few weeks finally found a Machine shop to do it! If you don't mind just write a short explaination of the wreck and toss it in there
Thanks
Marie

post #7 of 13 Old 01-31-2007, 06:35 PM

Awards Showcase
Law Enforcement 

Let me look around and see what I can find...............

post #8 of 13 Old 02-04-2007, 08:00 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I got nuthin', fortunately(knocking on wood.......................
.................................................. ...........NOW!

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #9 of 13 Old 02-04-2007, 08:45 AM

Awards Showcase
Law Enforcement 

Just found an old Nolan N27. I lowsided this one at about 45. It is over ten years old. If you think it will help PM me your address and I will mail it to you.

post #10 of 13 Old 02-06-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Box it up!
Send it to the address in the first post.

This arrived today from Cali unknown sender

Thanks
Marie

post #11 of 13 Old 02-06-2007, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

AHA! got the info 100+mph racetrack crash no loss of consciousness slight concussion!
SRAD

post #12 of 13 Old 02-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRADkneedragger View Post
Box it up!
Send it to the address in the first post.

This arrived today from Cali unknown sender

Thanks
Marie
Holy... box that one up and send it to me, I'll still wear it.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #13 of 13 Old 02-06-2007, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

AHAHAHAHAH uh no!
Marie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode