• 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By K1w1Boy
  • 1 Post By K1w1Boy
  • 1 Post By Nealio919
  • 1 Post By ST-DocLizard1

post #1 of 15 Old 06-30-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Conditioning leather jacket.

I have just brought a new distressed leather riding jacket. I'm wanting to condition it, waterproofing not important as I have separate wet weather gear. I was wondering what products you guys use? I work as a beekeeper and have loads of beeswax and was considering making my own leather balm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 PM
McTavish

I've done some rejuvenating of some of my old leathers.
I like to start with Neets Foot Oil but be warned, there is lots of bogus Neets Foot Oil these days and the real McCoy is extremely hard to find.
I found Fiebing Pure Neets Foot Oil, although it's from both pig and cattle shin bones, unlike the classic all cattle shin bone stuff.
There is something about those shin bones that works on leather!

I have found that clear boot crème makes a good finish, and the surface haze can easily be buffed off so there is no sheen or tackiness.
My guess is that bees wax would clog the pores, and prevent future applications of oil from migrating in.
Considering that classic Belstaff suits of cotton were water proofed with a bees wax based goop, makes me doubly concerned about clogging the leather.

I have tried other rejuvenating formulations, but I have not found anything even close to Neets Foot Oil in terms of penetration, benign “nose”, and effect.

I bought the Feibing on line as that was the only way I could access it here in Canada.
Fiebing is in the USA.
Islandboy likes this.

post #3 of 15 Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I have just brought a new distressed leather riding jacket. I'm wanting to condition it, waterproofing not important as I have separate wet weather gear. I was wondering what products you guys use? I work as a beekeeper and have loads of beeswax and was considering making my own leather balm.
I was going to suggest saddle soap. I've been using it for many years, however, you said "new distressed" most any are designed to coat and soak in, it's probably going to make the "new distressed" look "new slick". I have two pairs of riding boots. One is the old pair that are now work boots and the other are the new pair. They looked about the same about a year ago. The newer ones, I conditioned with saddle soap and they look very new, the others look like dusty old "distressed" boots.
Edit: I could have picked either pair of boots, the outcome would have been the same... I picked the better fitting pair, otherwise they were about the same starting condition.

I'd at least check the outcome on some small area nobody sees. I have a feeling that if you condition a distressed leather, you'll ruin the whole point of the distressed look.
Islandboy likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-30-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Yeah good points. I'll find a commercial product and test it on a unseen patch. Cheers.

post #5 of 15 Old 07-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Left of Centre

It's even got a .com.au website, mate!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1971 (1).jpg (190.1 KB, 4 views)
Islandboy likes this.

post #6 of 15 Old 07-01-2017, 03:39 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
With a tin label like that, my guess it's The Real McCoy too !

post #7 of 15 Old 07-01-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
How old is that tin? Noahs Ark?

post #8 of 15 Old 07-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Left of Centre

Yeh, man!

With the time it takes to get stuff down here via the Cutty Sark, we take our purchases seriously - who knows when the next ship will come in...
Islandboy likes this.

post #9 of 15 Old 07-02-2017, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Ok thanks for the input. Have ordered 500ml bottle of Neatsfoot oil, Joseph Lyddy. It's an Aussie product and the 'real McCoy '. Cheers.

post #10 of 15 Old 07-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Moto-Doc

Garage
I use obenauf's heavy duty lp. I have for many years and will continue to do so.
Islandboy likes this.

2006 Honda 919 TURBO
2005 Honda 919
2014 Honda CB1000R
2005 Ducati Monster S4R
2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1997 Suzuki DS350SE -Sold
2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE -Sold
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R -Sold
2003 Honda CBR954RR (Drag Bike) -Sold
2002 Honda CBR954RR -Sold
1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1972 Honda CB350 -Sold
post #11 of 15 Old 09-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
This video may be of interest:

I'm a textile guy myself(Aerostich Darien).
Islandboy likes this.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #12 of 15 Old 11-28-2017, 01:29 PM
Discen

Garage
I just cleaned my jacket and a pair of Redwings today, and used Fiebing's Neatsfoot oil on both. I hesitated a bit though, since some of the millions of opinions out there claim that Neatsfoot oil can rot natural stitching if your garment has it.

Mrcromo44, have you ever found this to be the case?

Al
post #13 of 15 Old 11-28-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

I read the same. Claim oxidizes cotton thread? I found an English museum recipe for leather conditioner, based on a roman leather treatment. Beeswax, lard and lanolin (wool grease). I also got and tried the neatsfoot oil. Too early yet for either. I will say I put the museum conditioner on my distressed leather jacket and it worked well. A lot of rubbing. That's the trick. It's soft and waterproof.

post #14 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 02:45 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
I just cleaned my jacket and a pair of Redwings today, and used Fiebing's Neatsfoot oil on both. I hesitated a bit though, since some of the millions of opinions out there claim that Neatsfoot oil can rot natural stitching if your garment has it.

Mrcromo44, have you ever found this to be the case?
I have never seen anything like that on any of my stuff.
And when people say "neatsfoot oil", they may not even have a clue as to what is actually in the bottle, as compared to true neatsfoot oil that is.
Now having said that, I haven't checked to see what the stitching material is on my late 70s Sorel winter boots, my 80s Dacks dress shoes, my mid 70s Lewis Leathers, my late 70s era baseball glove, or my 10 year old Alpinestars suit.
But all that stitching is A OK.

post #15 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 06:44 PM
Discen

Garage
The folks at Schott (who seem VERY protective about their leather products) recommend nothing but mink oil or saddle soap. From what I read, Mink Oil and pure Neatsfoot oil seem to be very similar in use and ingredients, so I assume Schott would be OK with Neatsfoot oil on their goods, such as the jacket of theirs that I wear.

I'll keep an eye on it though.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode