Commuting Boots - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 09-20-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Commuting Boots

I'm looking for some recommendations on riding boots for my daily commute. I love my AXO Strikers as they have the BOA system that has completely spoiled me. I tried going to the Striker 9-5 which is the updated model. however, they run a bit narrow and when I went up a size, they dug into the top of my feet while walking.

I'm really disappointed and I cannot seem to find a set of AXO strikers as they've been discontinued for some time now. I now need some recommendations on riding boots for my daily commute. I would love for them to have the BOA system but if they don't, then at least easy on/off but still feel secure. I don't want full length as they'll be used for commuting/office wear.

So far, I'm looking at the Astars S-MX 1 Black Shadow - Alpinestars S-MX 1 Black Shadow Boots - RevZilla

Anyone got any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-21-2015, 12:31 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Old school but the 50/50 has a new name. THOR Blitz LS, these generally run slightly wider.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FRRcfgodppoI_A

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 29 Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Interesting suggestion, Andrew. Have you used these? I'm not familiar with that brand.

post #4 of 29 Old 09-22-2015, 03:41 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I've used them, very comfy and easy to walk on. Controls are good to shift and protection seems all there. Only weak point are the plastic straps which they may have revised in these from the earlier 50/50. Easy on/ easy off but go easy on tightening it down. I made the mistake of forcing them tighter which broke the plastic off; they're only suppose to snug in place. Lucky motorcycle superstore has a good return policy.

Thor is a pretty big off road brand from what I've heard.. ? You may have better luck asking in the ADV forums about em.

Edit: Just looked closely at the listing; those are a new buckle system, I think they've addressed the fault of the previous model in these.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 29 Old 09-22-2015, 12:38 PM
duc duc GOOSE!

I rock the astars u mentioned, I wouldn't wear them all day everyday, but the are comfortable enough for a few hours.

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #6 of 29 Old 09-22-2015, 01:05 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Mine are thparkely...

post #7 of 29 Old 09-22-2015, 02:33 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I leave a pair of shoes in the office for when I commute.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #8 of 29 Old 09-22-2015, 05:13 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Mine are thparkely...
You win

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #9 of 29 Old 09-22-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
I leave a pair of shoes in the office for when I commute.
I carry mine around with me, but often times I'm at different places for short times that I don't get a chance to change my shoes. So for the times I can't change, I need something that will provide protection. My office shoes certainly won't lol.

post #10 of 29 Old 09-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Milites Gregarius

You know,
I've been riding motorcycles since 1964. It never occurred to me to get special shoes/boots. I have always worn an over the ankle work boot. Have I been missing something? I am serious here, not being a jerk. What are the benefits.
Thank's
Jack trash

post #11 of 29 Old 09-23-2015, 07:16 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktrash View Post
You know,

I've been riding motorcycles since 1964. It never occurred to me to get special shoes/boots. I have always worn an over the ankle work boot. Have I been missing something? I am serious here, not being a jerk. What are the benefits.

Thank's

Jack trash

I wore work boots as well when I started riding. I got the laces caught one time in the shifter and would have likely laid it over at the next stop, but luckily decided to lean to the right. I started looking at riding boots right after and most boots will provide extra impact protection at the toes / heel / ankle / shin as well as waterproofing or venting depending on the boot. Plus no laces to get caught in anything.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #12 of 29 Old 09-24-2015, 01:08 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I was under the impression that riding boots provide better rash protecTion as well as protection from your foot being crushed by your motorcycle should it decide to impact all its weight and force into your many foot bones.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #13 of 29 Old 09-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Josh

Garage
For me, the biggest benefit of riding boots is the steel shank through the sole. It makes them less comfortable to walk in, but it helps distribute your weight across your whole foot rather than just right where the peg meets your boot.

I wear race boots every day. They offer the most protection.

post #14 of 29 Old 09-24-2015, 10:44 AM
RIDE RED

The steel shank also helps trip traffic signals

post #15 of 29 Old 09-24-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktrash View Post
You know,
Thank's
Jack trash
I'm Glad you are asking this question. Check out the stickied thread above this one.

post #16 of 29 Old 09-24-2015, 04:55 PM
Milites Gregarius

Thank's all
Not sure I'll change but I will give this some thought.

Jack

post #17 of 29 Old 09-25-2015, 10:51 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

PV, if you're looking for the shorter boots to wear in the office, Alpinestars has a couple that could almost pass for work shoes:

S-MX 1

Faster

post #18 of 29 Old 09-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
PV, if you're looking for the shorter boots to wear in the office, Alpinestars has a couple that could almost pass for work shoes:
Wow, I've never been a fan of white shoes, but I could totally rock those white ones:

I couldn't really get away with it at work, but they look slick!

The only downside is they have a thin sole, so you'll probably wear them out if you plan on walking in them a ton.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #19 of 29 Old 09-26-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Thanks for the input, keep them coming. Sadly the S-MX1 1 are Velcro, which I do not like. The S-MX 2 boots with a buckle instead of velcro are sold out which makes me sad.

I did however, spot these: Sidi Astro Boots - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore which definitely caught my attention.

post #20 of 29 Old 09-27-2015, 03:46 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I went with Cortec Latigo Airs. They get the job done and my feet stay relatively cool. Some wear and tear from only a years worth of use may hold me back from giving the more than 4 stars though.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #21 of 29 Old 10-07-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
I did however, spot these: Sidi Astro Boots - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore which definitely caught my attention.
I bought a pair of these, and I'm not entirely convinced. I was expecting more from Sidi in terms of overall quality fit and finish. Man these boots are narrow, even going up to size 11s. They feel pretty good but they are extremely light, not sure if they would provide the protection I've come to expect with the heavier boots I've been using. the BOA system is sweet though.

Only major thing I don't like is that the heel is pretty narrow, which makes me feel like I'll very easily roll my ankles to the outside on any kind of uneven ground. This would be disastrous for me because my ankles roll easily. So I'm not sure if I'll keep em or send em back. Finding an easy off/easy on boot is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I really wish I could just find another pair of strikers, I love mine!

post #22 of 29 Old 10-07-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

I've decided to send the Sidi boots back. I'll try these next: Alpinestars SP-1 Shoes - RevZilla

post #23 of 29 Old 10-08-2015, 09:38 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Just to throw it out there. Alpine Stars quality is about 20 steps below Sidi in every way. Granted I am mainly referring to track boots versus street boots, but I bet the apple doesn't fall too far from those respective trees

I have owned multiple pairs of both brands and the AlpineStars have fallen apart in record time.

My Biaggi replica's literally had the sole just fall off the fuckin boot while out riding around on the track!

and my current pair of Alpine stars boots have a piss poor design on the zipper that curves across the foot and the velcro etc is just sub-par all the way around. My wife had some AlpineStars paddock shoes that didn't last very long either and those were just used for spectating at various Laguna Seca events

Meanwhile I finally retired a pair of Sidi's that I had bought back in 1997 in 2007 after using them 40-50 events per season even in rain conditions where at the end of the session I would pour the water out of the boot. Hell I even mowed the yard in them once and walked in them all over the USA on Motorcycle Tours.

They were the pair on the left

I replaced them with the pair on the right and didn't like the fit so I switched to Oxtar and have gone through several sets of them now too. They are pretty good value as long as you are getting a deal on them. They are not worth MSRP...

I currently still have a set of the Oxtars in grey that are about 8 years old and have survived a few crashes too I might add and I was just wearing them last Weekend and the Monday prior at the track because I'm just not happy with my current Alpinestars SMX series

post #24 of 29 Old 10-13-2015, 01:25 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

post #25 of 29 Old 10-13-2015, 01:49 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

^Bates makes some bad ass stuff, but you sure pay for it!

post #26 of 29 Old 10-13-2015, 05:08 PM
Princeps Prior

My experience with Alpinestar boots is that my old ones that were made in Romania are good quality. I've been down while wearing them and still wear them. My newer ones are shit quality and made in Thailand. So I guess they outsourced and got worse over the years. I will be looking for a new brand next pair for sure.

post #27 of 29 Old 11-19-2015, 12:36 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
^Bates makes some bad ass stuff, but you sure pay for it!
I've been looking at the Bates Adrenaline boot. I get a discount on them, but I'm hesitant about wearing a boot with laces.

Do you have personal experience with these boots? There isn't much as far as online reviews.

I'm not doing track days with them, I will just use them for street riding. Can you tuck your leathers into them? Do the laces get in the way?

Thanks!

post #28 of 29 Old 11-19-2015, 12:46 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by pswid View Post
I've been looking at the Bates Adrenaline boot. I get a discount on them, but I'm hesitant about wearing a boot with laces.

Do you have personal experience with these boots? There isn't much as far as online reviews.

I'm not doing track days with them, I will just use them for street riding. Can you tuck your leathers into them? Do the laces get in the way?

Thanks!
Over the ankle boots like that are designed to be worn under your pant legs not with the legs tucked in.

Those riding specific boots from Bates have an elastic strap to tuck the laces into. That being said when I ride with my Bates combat boots which do not have the elastic strap and simply double knot the laces I have never had a problem with the laces coming undone or getting caught on anything etc. With that being said the Bates Combat boots I am currently wearing to ride my motorcycle in have laces, but also a zipper in the inside leg so I never actually tie them or untie them anymore.

post #29 of 29 Old 11-19-2015, 12:53 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Oh & for those of you that think I was just trying to be funny. I actually do own those sparkly Sidi's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode