cold weather gear - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
pew pew pew

cold weather gear

Now that we are very close to the colder season, and some of you guys have been in it for a while, what kind of cold weather gear do you use? all leather? heated? or just puss out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 02:50 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Widder (YB Cold?)
Powerlet
Givi 755 windscreen.
Aerostitch Roadcrafter
Foggy breath shield
RainX

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 03:54 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Fieldsheer Adventure Jacket & Adventure Pant (both with liners)
A balaclava on colder days
Held makes some great winter gloves

I don't need anything heated for Florida, yes it sounds funny to think I'd need anything heavy in Florida but the temps are often in the low 40's high 30's during the coldest months.

Heated grips are a great luxury.

post #4 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 04:42 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

puss out!!! Below 50 degrees my Sunday morning ride is shortened to a 8 miles round trip to Marcus Dairy.

post #5 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 05:21 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I've got:
a two piece lined textile suit. Waterproof with removable liners.
Wool socks.
A-Star waterproof and lined gloves.

All of these really help. But the best investment I ever made for colder riding is a balaclava. Put that thing on and close the vents on the helmet and your much toastier.

I've ridden the 9er on a trip as low as 35 degrees, but even with the above gear below 50 is my usual limit.

It's kind of funny how much your interest plays into it. Going into winter below 50 feels cold. Coming out of winter below 50 isn't too bad. I'm much more motivated to ride in cold weather when I haven't been on a bike all winter.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

[QUOTE=HondaJim;137568 But the best investment I ever made for colder riding is a balaclava. Put that thing on and close the vents on the helmet and your much toastier.

+1 on the balaclava. A real luxury keeping the cold wind off the neck and out of the helmet.

Any good set of long underwear is worth its weight as well. I often through on a set of polypropelene LJs and long thermal socks. With a fleece under a slightly oversized weatherproof textile, cold weather gloves and above mentioned balaclava, I have done 100 mile rides in lower forties temps comfortably.

post #7 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 07:16 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Be a man! You're in NC, not NY.
Layer up and ride.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
pew pew pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Be a man! You're in NC, not NY.
Layer up and ride.
hey, it does get pretty darn cold here. you wouldnt know it with all the dry heat lately but just watch, its going to get down to -25 this winter!!! you'll see!!!

post #9 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Duuuuuuurp.....

I ride with my EXO-scorpion helmet, fleece neck warmer and my Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket to keep me warm. I picked my gloves up for cheap from the Honda shop here, they are mainly just to keep the wind off my hands. I will ride in weather under 25 F if my wife lets me, I just LOVE the ride, no matter what! In fact last year when I rode, a big fatty piece of snow fell from a tree and hit me in the chest while going about 30. Pretty cold but that is about it. I figure, what doesn't kill you just makes you stronger!

Spoiler:

Apparently I need to hit a few more states
post #10 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Here in the great state of Texas, I switch out my gym shorts, wifebeater and flip flops for some jean shorts, full short sleeve t-shirt and tennis shoes. Keeps the coolness out....

Actually,

I usually layer some long underwear with jeans for the bottom, if it is really cold (under 40) then I wear my rain pants to block the wind. I wear long underwear shirt, tshirt, long sleeve shirt and lined PowerTrip jacket. I always have a full face helmet, but I use a scarf to block the wind on my neck under about 40. I also have a thick leather gauntlet glove for cold weather riding. 28 is the coldest I have ridden, and was pretty good with that gear. I don't know how much colder I would want to go, as there were some ice patches out there at that temp. I do plan to buy some overpants soon to replace the rainpants.

Shawn

post #11 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

If it's really cold get some snowmoble/Skiwear.Anti-fog stuff comes to mind also.

And like everyone else a balaclava is your newest bestfriend.

post #12 of 21 Old 10-20-2007, 04:07 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

I did the whole Widder electric gear, heated seat, heat grips thing on the ST13. Maybe I'm getting old, I don't know. I'm not going to do it again. Riding in the cold is more effort than I'm willing to expend these days. I'll puss out if it's less than 45 degrees now. It's easier to toss the bike in the trailer, take it to a family house in Florida, and fly down there a couple times over the Winter to get a ride fix in.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-20-2007, 07:50 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

For the last several years I've been riding that big ole rattling woodstove called a Concours! A great bike for winter. But, since Connie Red is at a new home, and my lil 919 is nude, well, I guess I'd better get me some woolies and layer up. Working for years in a switch yard and riding on the side of boxcars in all kind of weather I don't pay much attention to weather.

[
post #14 of 21 Old 10-21-2007, 09:10 PM
2006 919

here it is pretty cold already.
I make balaclavas (yes I manufacture them) in cotton spandex plain and printed helmet liners, and tech poly carbon silver for the summer moisture wicking and anit odour. and in thermal cotton and poly cotton for the winter. all with flat seams so no iritation on the head.
I wear a helmet liner/ balaclava all year round, keeps my helmet from getting gunky and funky.

even in summer it is sometimes pretty cold here

I find it is really the cold wind that gets you.

so I wear long underwear, woolsocks, balaclava as first layer
then windstopper jacket, windstopper pants, my regular leather jacket with padding/protection , and another windstopper jacket on top, and textile pants with padding/ protection, and sometimes if it is really cold a pair of rhyno rhisa (like gortex) over pants, that I use for the rain also.
windstopper neck topper
alpine star ridge waterproof boots,
belstar gauntlet gloves. I bought another pair of gloves tourmaster cold front carbon , I hope they work.

then I have to go piss, so I have to take everything off again, go piss and put it all on again.
reminds me alot of going out in the winter when I was a kid in a snowsuit same swish swish sound and everything.

I need some advice about how to handle the fogging in my helmet, I have a shoei helmet so I have the "open a fraction click" so I am usually ok at higher speeds ( even if it is cold in the helmet ) but in the city I get alot of fogging, any suggestions?
I read above about a foggy mask, thank you for the suggestion, I am going to try and find a dealer here.

(yes I take the cold seriously) I have a place in the mountains about 80k north of montreal, it is always 4-5 degrees colder than in montreal.

Wow this forum is great so much excellent information thank you semi grey

Mnet.

post #15 of 21 Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieur net View Post
I bought another pair of gloves tourmaster cold front carbon , I hope they work.

I need some advice about how to handle the fogging in my helmet, I have a shoei helmet so I have the "open a fraction click" so I am usually ok at higher speeds ( even if it is cold in the helmet ) but in the city I get alot of fogging, any suggestions?
I read above about a foggy mask, thank you for the suggestion, I am going to try and find a dealer here.

(yes I take the cold seriously) I have a place in the mountains about 80k north of montreal, it is always 4-5 degrees colder than in montreal.

Wow this forum is great so much excellent information thank you semi grey

Mnet.

Really hope the cold front carbon work .I'm thinking of getting a set,Ive got the winter elites right now the carbons look like a better glove.

As for fogging rain-X on the inside and out I've got some stuff in a stick form that works good,but the label has wore off,Can't remeber what it was.

Been thinking of using a snorkle (no really I have).I also wear Glasses and when they fog up and freeze it is bad.

post #16 of 21 Old 10-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
It's easier to toss the bike in the trailer, take it to a family house in Florida, and fly down there a couple times over the Winter to get a ride fix in.

Can I have some of that extra money?

2 > 4
post #17 of 21 Old 11-18-2007, 08:44 PM
2006 919

ok so took my ride today
was 0 degrees outset and -5 north where I rode.
so 32f starting and down to 23f. (brrr)
I wore a ski suit, with long underwear and windstop.
my tourmaster gloves hmmmm , ok I guess for 35-45 but on the way home (23 my fingers were cold.
if I ride again this year i will wear some polar fleece glove liners and see.
they are made big.
in their favor they are really well made gloves and have an extra big opening/ gauntlet so you can fit them over a ski jacket easily.
I picked them up at ridegear for like 52.00 so for the money I think is well worth it for a winter glove, with protection and a squeegee.

my best purchase was a windstop neck protector this is one thing I would not do without.

I think it is my last ride up north, they have started putting sand on the roads, and on the country road I usually ride there is already some black ice

is it time to buy stabilizer for my 919 ?

post #18 of 21 Old 11-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

My balaclava I'm not very happy with it. Can you post some picts of the ones you make?

post #19 of 21 Old 12-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Yeah, I'd love to see your balaclavas.
I need to get a Respro Foggy mask, too.

I use:
Fog wipes on the inside of the shield
Silk long Johns
Balaclava (polypropylene) if below 45
fatty wool socks
Widder electric vest
Widder electric gloves if really cold
Cortech Advanced sport jacket, Nikwaxed
Hein Gericke G-line (women's) Lucia pants, Nikwaxed
Held Monsoon waterproof gloves if raining--cover 'em with yellow dish gloves if it's really wet.

I don't own a car, so it's the bike or the bus! Rarely freezes here and no snow, fortunately.

post #20 of 21 Old 12-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

It's been in the 20's-40's When it get's to the upper 50's I just put on a turtleneck, my Icon full length gauntlet style Merc gloves, Icon Battlecry leather jacket with liner in it, a bandana on my face (actually does work to keep chin from freezing, and you can actually talk after you get off!), and my converse desert combat boots. Not too terribly cold with all that.

2 > 4
post #21 of 21 Old 12-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Tirone

Roadcrafter suit
Jettvest battery heated electric vest
Snowmobile Mechanized Gloves
Nylon Balaclava
Chemical heat packs in glove

Good into the mid 20's but really comfortable in the low 40's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode