Cheap Leather, worth it? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Cheap Leather, worth it?

Found this site that offers very inexpensive leather riding suits, jackets and pants. Caught my attention because they offer inseam length options on the pants, but a bit concerned about buying off brand gear. I'm sure it's made in China, but then again what isn't these days?

Looking at these pants...Motorcycle RACING ARMOR LEATHER PANTS w/ Slider: US202Pant-Black Armored Motorcycle Jacket & Other Motorcycle Gear

And this jacket...Men's MOTORCYCLE LEATHER Jacket with Molded Armor in Black: US2002-Black Armored Motorcycle Jacket & Other Motorcycle Gear

Which would give a full two piece suit for $215. I believe in the old adage that you get what you pay for, so I'm kind of worried that this is too good to be true? $215 isn't a good deal if it's $215 worth of cheap crap that falls apart in a month. Also my body is worth more than that, although the description sounds good as far as armor and protection.

Anyone have any experience or opinions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 09:26 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

In a situation like this the first thing I would is review the return policy. If the policy is acceptable then why not take a look at the gear? You may not be a racer/designer/crash test dummy; but I bet you can spot a turd in a cardboard box.

post #3 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
In a situation like this the first thing I would is review the return policy. If the policy is acceptable then why not take a look at the gear? You may not be a racer/designer/crash test dummy; but I bet you can spot a turd in a cardboard box.
30 Days Return Policy

This item comes with 30 days money back guarantee if for any reason (size, color, material etc) you don't like this item with in 30 days of receiving this item you can mail it back to us. If the item is in original shape, we will be happy to refund you the amount (minus of shipping and handling charge - calculated before combined shipping and handling discount).

post #4 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
That's for sure. I'm the official crash test dummy around here!

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #5 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post
That's for sure. I'm the official crash test dummy around here!
Speaking of that, how ya feelin'?

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 10:58 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

When ever you want something , just ask ! You dont have to get cheap stuff, we got your back yo !

post #7 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 11:07 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

It looks like typical Pakistani leather. It seems all these items are on sale, which suggests to me it was made a while back, did not sell and they are trying to move inventory as they over-stocked.

Yes, you do get what you pay for. Will they protect you? Probably to a degree. Can you get better? Of course you can. I am not too fond of the stitching, it suggests one fall and it's done. Also, there is potential for the stitching to fail in an accident.

I checked out their other stuff which re-affirmed my believe that they are Pakistani product. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong in Pakistani product, it just depends on what the manufacturer is willing to put into it. Anyone there can pretty much put out leather ware, it is one of their main export products. However, considering you can get up to 10 different grades of leather, you begin to see how pricing can get crazy.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila-RC51 View Post
It looks like typical Pakistani leather. It seems all these items are on sale, which suggests to me it was made a while back, did not sell and they are trying to move inventory as they over-stocked.

Yes, you do get what you pay for. Will they protect you? Probably to a degree. Can you get better? Of course you can. I am not too fond of the stitching, it suggests one fall and it's done. Also, there is potential for the stitching to fail in an accident.

I checked out their other stuff which re-affirmed my believe that they are Pakistani product. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong in Pakistani product, it just depends on what the manufacturer is willing to put into it. Anyone there can pretty much put out leather ware, it is one of their main export products. However, considering you can get up to 10 different grades of leather, you begin to see how pricing can get crazy.
Thanks man, I was hoping you would check in on this thread! It's tempting but I think I'll keep shopping around after having you confirm my suspicions. Any advice on finding leather pants for us taller guys?

post #9 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 11:16 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Thanks man, I was hoping you would check in on this thread! It's tempting but I think I'll keep shopping around after having you confirm my suspicions. Any advice on finding leather pants for us taller guys?
There are a load of places you can get pants from. Alpinestars I believe has some long pants as well. Check them out.

post #10 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Living the dream

I agree with Aquilla (always be WIM to me). Stiching looks iffy. By scanning other items it could be closeout stuff. If you try and change sizes on some it won't let you.

Just trying to move product. If you are looking for an inexpensive back up or something in a pinch worth a shot. I would say it will protect but as indicated may not hold up after 1 crash.

Good deals easy to find if you search. Check out Iron Pony and Motosports.com for deals.

Or save up and sweet talk for a Veloce deal.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 12:47 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

As with almost everything in life... cars, leather goods, prostitues,

You get what you pay for!

Pay MORE!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #12 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 12:50 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
As with almost everything in life... cars, leather goods, prostitues,

You get what you pay for!

Pay MORE!
But what if you could try the prostitue for 30 days and then get your money back if you weren't satisfied?

Feel free to spend your money on principal if you like.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Speaking of that, how ya feelin'?
Feeling decent, but I'm still limping a little. I went to an orthopedic doc on Monday just to make sure the ER people didn't miss something. He said the bones, and joint look good. He said that in 4 to 8 weeks I will be back to normal, and to exercise the leg. He recommended bike riding, so I blew the dust bunnies off my Specialized Mt. bike and aired up the tires. Now if the thunder, lightning and rain would stop for a while I would take it to the bike trail and get some miles in.

Thanks for askin' bro.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode