Carrying while riding - Wrist Twisters
 21Likes

post #1 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Carrying while riding

Looking for suggestions on carrying while riding... I'm thinking a shoulder holster might be my best option, but I'm open to suggestions and experiences... Feel free to answer in the hypothetical because you "don't own any guns."

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 07:06 AM
Tirone

KELTEC P32. These little autos are just enough in every way. Unless, of course, you have a fantasy minded mission.

post #3 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Cornicen

Guess it depends on what you are carrying. If you have a .380, something smaller, couldn't you just put that in the inside chest pocket on your riding jacket?

Bikes:
2004 V-Rod (sold)
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2003 RC51
2010 Triump Scrambler (sold)
2003 CB900F
2004 CBR 600rr

Non Bikes:
2007 JK Sahara
2005 CTS V (sold)
2006 Audi S4

post #4 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

not looking for gun suggestions... more for holster/carry suggestions... My EDC is a Springfield XDS 4.0... I could probably fit it in an inside pocket but don't like having guns around without the trigger being covered, and I feel like the weight all on one side would feel weird/awkward.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #5 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 08:27 AM
dazed and confused

Dunno if you're planning on switching jackets for it, but some have dedicated gun pockets.

Speed and Strength Off The Chain 2.0 Textile Jacket - RevZilla

post #6 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 09:25 AM
jrj
Optio

For a slimmer firearm like the XDs, you might try a belly band or other elastic garment that allows you to put it where you feel it is most comfortable/secure and where you feel it would do the least amount of damage to you in a crash. You could also look into IWB holsters with a retention strap if you don't have one already

post #7 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 10:51 AM
HotCarl73

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I carry a Kahr CW9 IWB at about the 4 o'clock position. I tried a bunch of different types of holsters. By far the best and most comfortable is made by PJ holster. It's one piece of thin kydex molded to fit your gun. You can get different belt loop options. I use a closed loop that you thread your belt through. You can also get a clip on and tuckable. It adds almost no weight or thickness to the pistol. The pistol snaps in securely and won't pop out. It has adjustable tension. Another nice thing is the kydex can be heated up with a heat gun and tweaked to adjust angles or belt loop tightness. These pics are my CM9 which i also carry sometimes.

post #8 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I wear over pants when riding, they do a great job keeping my OWB holster covered and no real impact to my ability to draw and fire.

Long road trips I usually carry an XD 5.25 around town just an XD sub compact.
Both significantly larger than an XDS.

post #9 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
I wear over pants when riding, they do a great job keeping my OWB holster covered and no real impact to my ability to draw and fire.

Long road trips I usually carry an XD 5.25 around town just an XD sub compact.
Both significantly larger than an XDS.
Any concerns with what would happen if you went down? That's another one of my concerns, I feel like carrying anywhere around the waist is not going to end well if I hit the ground.

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #10 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 12:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

M.I.C. holster.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #11 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
Any concerns with what would happen if you went down? That's another one of my concerns, I feel like carrying anywhere around the waist is not going to end well if I hit the ground.
I am a lefty, so gun is on the left hip while riding. Being as the XD is striker fired with a trigger and palm safety, I am not at all worried about an AD if I did go down.
The design of the XD is very robust. If you dont depress the safeties, that gun is not going off- period.

post #12 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 04:41 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

post #13 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 04:53 PM
No Destination

Ah... this topic...

My opinion:

There is no perfect spot to carry while riding. Carry position is something you have to decide for yourself according to your own situation. There will be positives and negatives no matter what you decide. You are adding additional levels of risk when you carry while riding, so you have to mitigate that risk just as you already do for the act of riding itself.

If you want to carry on your person, the main downside is that you have to decide what part of your body you are willing to likely have considerable extra damage, due to having a big chunk of steel between you and whatever you impact in an accident. There is no way around this. Also, you will feel lopsided until you grow accustomed to carrying. The upside is you are typically quite unrestricted to move and go about your daily routines, both on and off the bike. The firearm is always with you and accessible so therefore you do not have to worry about it any further.

If you want to avoid the "increased injuries" scenario, then you will have to find a way to carry on the bike itself, which comes with it's own upsides and downsides. Obviously this is usually going to be a more comfortable and convenient solution, as you can carry in a backpack, tank bag, saddle bags, holster attached to the bike, etc. Lots of options. Unfortunately, most "off your person" solutions are going to have the problem of the firearm not being quite as readily available, which negates the whole purpose to an extent, and what happens to the firearm during an accident if it is physically on the bike in a holster or bag? You definitely do not want to lose the firearm for all the reasons I doubt I need to cover here. Also, transferring it back and forth between yourself and the bike at every stop is cumbersome at the least, and if you need to keep it concealed then the situation is a whole lot more difficult.

There is another important reality to consider whether you carry on your person or on the bike. Many people are unaware of this but in some places it is standard procedure/policy/whatever that when first responders, paramedics, etc., arrive at the scene of an accident, if a firearm is found they are not allowed to render aid until law enforcement arrives. I'm sure this is much more likely in some of our "less constitution friendly" states than others, but this means there is a possibility that if you are in an accident and your firearm is ejected from either your bike or yourself, you may very well be left on the pavement longer than you can afford before anyone will help you. I have yet to see or hear of this actually happening, but it is a possibility of which you need to be aware.

As for carrying positions, you will likely end up with more than one. Different situations call for different types of carry. Again, it all basically hinges on risk and what you are willing and able to accept/mitigate. Below are options I have either used or witnessed others using.

On-person carry:

Shoulder Holster:
Probably one of the most comfortable methods while riding, regardless of riding position. Not as easily concealed as one might think. (Bulge will be noticeable with most motorcycle jackets.) Fairly quick access. Looking at some seriously broken ribs and/or arm if impacted in an accident. Not likely to be thrown from your person.

"Gun Pocket" Carry:
Again, a comfortable method for any riding position but if impacted in an accident could yield broken ribs and/or arm. Fairly quick access. Not likely to be thrown from your person unless the jacket/vest/etc is unzipped more than a few inches.

In or Out of Waistband (IWB/OWB) Carry:
Usually comfortable regardless of riding position, so long as positioned to left or right side. If the firearm is far forward, such as appendix carry, forward riding positions will likely not be comfortable. If the firearm is far back, in the small of the back or kidney areas, more reclined riding positions will likely not be comfortable. Hip and/or spine injuries likely if impacted in an accident. Fairly quick access. Holster quality and retention will affect likelihood of ejection in an accident.

Drop-Thigh Holster:
Comfortable option that works quite well. Unfortunately unless wearing pants with a built in thigh holster, this is not concealable. You will draw attention, both good and bad. (In my opinion, any attention drawn is bad.) Fairly quick access. Possible broken leg if impacted in an accident. Unlikely to be ejected in an accident unless holster is of poor quality.

Ankle Holster:
Less comfortable option due to location and typical vibrations from road surfaces. Wind will likely not allow full concealment. Will not work with most riding boots. Fairly quick access if not inside a boot. If impacted in an accident, broken leg, ankle, and/or foot is likely. Likely to be ejected in an accident unless holster is of high quality design.

On-Bike Carry:

Backpack Carry:
You'll never know it's there aside from the weight. No one else will know it is there period. Fairly easy to keep on person, though will require personal awareness not to leave it unattended. EVER. Basically not accessible unless off bike. Extremely restricted access while on bike. Highly unlikely to cause any personal injury if impacted in an accident. Extreme circumstances could cause the firearm to come free of the backpack during an accident. (Example: Ejected through hole torn in pack during accident.)

Tank Bag Carry:
You won't know it's there unless you open the tank bag and look, and neither will anyone else. Fairly easy to keep on person, though will require personal awareness not to leave it unattended. EVER. Restricted access while on bike. Unlikely to cause personal injury if impacted in accident. If tank bag is secured by magnets, fair likelihood that bag will be ejected during accident, but firearm should remain inside.

Tail Bag / Saddle Bags Carry:
You won't know it's there unless you open the bag and look, and neither will anyone else. Fairly cumbersome to keep on person, IF they are easily detached and you have the willingness to do so. If the bags stay on the bike, you will have to transfer the firearm from them to your person and back at every stop, or take the risk of leaving them unattended. (Locks only keep honest people honest!) Obviously will require personal awareness not to leave detached bags accessible to others. EVER. Highly restricted access while on bike. Unlikely to cause personal injury if impacted in accident. Not likely to be ejected during an accident unless bags are not properly closed or secured.

Bike-Mounted Carry:
I will not cover all the options here, just focusing on the general concept. An easily accessed position will mean it is also easily seen and accessed by others. A well hidden position will likely highly decrease accessibility to the firearm, to both yourself and others. Fully hidden will likely mean no access while on the bike. Only the best holster quality and design will have any chance of keeping a bike-mounted firearm from being ejected in an accident. If the firearm is ejected, it will likely cause significant damage to whatever it impacts, including yourself or others. Chances of loss of firearm in accident are high. Personal awareness to never leave the firearm on the bike while unattended is paramount. I would suggest that the firearm be removed and placed on person or other form of carry any time the bike is not being actively ridden.

Don't try to find an end-all way to carry while riding. Some situations may allow you to carry the way you normally would while not riding. In other situations it may be best to switch to another method. It's your call.

That about covers it. As stated in the beginning, these are my opinions based on my experiences. These are definitely not all the possibilities for carrying while riding, but they are the ones which I have either practiced or directly observed over time.
Nate Logg likes this.

1982 Kawasaki KZ750 CSR (Cafe) (Sold)
1985 Honda Interceptor VF700F (Sold)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250R EX250F15 (Sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
1978 Suzuki GS750E
1981 Suzuki GS1000G (Cafe Project)
1983 Yamaha IT 490
2002 Honda 919/Hornet CB900F2
2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R ZX636B1
Click here to find Beetle (Mr. B) on Facebook
Click here to watch Beetle (Mr. B) on YouTube
post #14 of 388 Old 02-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

post #15 of 388 Old 02-25-2015, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
I am a lefty, so gun is on the left hip while riding. Being as the XD is striker fired with a trigger and palm safety, I am not at all worried about an AD if I did go down.
The design of the XD is very robust. If you dont depress the safeties, that gun is not going off- period.
I don't mean so much the gun going off, more the gun hitting the ground and concentrating the impact and shattering my hip, or wherever else its held..

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #16 of 388 Old 02-25-2015, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Ah... this topic...

My opinion:

There is no perfect spot to carry while riding. Carry position is something you have to decide for yourself according to your own situation. There will be positives and negatives no matter what you decide. You are adding additional levels of risk when you carry while riding, so you have to mitigate that risk just as you already do for the act of riding itself.

If you want to carry on your person, the main downside is that you have to decide what part of your body you are willing to likely have considerable extra damage, due to having a big chunk of steel between you and whatever you impact in an accident. There is no way around this. Also, you will feel lopsided until you grow accustomed to carrying. The upside is you are typically quite unrestricted to move and go about your daily routines, both on and off the bike. The firearm is always with you and accessible so therefore you do not have to worry about it any further.

If you want to avoid the "increased injuries" scenario, then you will have to find a way to carry on the bike itself, which comes with it's own upsides and downsides. Obviously this is usually going to be a more comfortable and convenient solution, as you can carry in a backpack, tank bag, saddle bags, holster attached to the bike, etc. Lots of options. Unfortunately, most "off your person" solutions are going to have the problem of the firearm not being quite as readily available, which negates the whole purpose to an extent, and what happens to the firearm during an accident if it is physically on the bike in a holster or bag? You definitely do not want to lose the firearm for all the reasons I doubt I need to cover here. Also, transferring it back and forth between yourself and the bike at every stop is cumbersome at the least, and if you need to keep it concealed then the situation is a whole lot more difficult.

There is another important reality to consider whether you carry on your person or on the bike. Many people are unaware of this but in some places it is standard procedure/policy/whatever that when first responders, paramedics, etc., arrive at the scene of an accident, if a firearm is found they are not allowed to render aid until law enforcement arrives. I'm sure this is much more likely in some of our "less constitution friendly" states than others, but this means there is a possibility that if you are in an accident and your firearm is ejected from either your bike or yourself, you may very well be left on the pavement longer than you can afford before anyone will help you. I have yet to see or hear of this actually happening, but it is a possibility of which you need to be aware.

As for carrying positions, you will likely end up with more than one. Different situations call for different types of carry. Again, it all basically hinges on risk and what you are willing and able to accept/mitigate. Below are options I have either used or witnessed others using.

On-person carry:

Shoulder Holster:
Probably one of the most comfortable methods while riding, regardless of riding position. Not as easily concealed as one might think. (Bulge will be noticeable with most motorcycle jackets.) Fairly quick access. Looking at some seriously broken ribs and/or arm if impacted in an accident. Not likely to be thrown from your person.

"Gun Pocket" Carry:
Again, a comfortable method for any riding position but if impacted in an accident could yield broken ribs and/or arm. Fairly quick access. Not likely to be thrown from your person unless the jacket/vest/etc is unzipped more than a few inches.

In or Out of Waistband (IWB/OWB) Carry:
Usually comfortable regardless of riding position, so long as positioned to left or right side. If the firearm is far forward, such as appendix carry, forward riding positions will likely not be comfortable. If the firearm is far back, in the small of the back or kidney areas, more reclined riding positions will likely not be comfortable. Hip and/or spine injuries likely if impacted in an accident. Fairly quick access. Holster quality and retention will affect likelihood of ejection in an accident.

Drop-Thigh Holster:
Comfortable option that works quite well. Unfortunately unless wearing pants with a built in thigh holster, this is not concealable. You will draw attention, both good and bad. (In my opinion, any attention drawn is bad.) Fairly quick access. Possible broken leg if impacted in an accident. Unlikely to be ejected in an accident unless holster is of poor quality.

Ankle Holster:
Less comfortable option due to location and typical vibrations from road surfaces. Wind will likely not allow full concealment. Will not work with most riding boots. Fairly quick access if not inside a boot. If impacted in an accident, broken leg, ankle, and/or foot is likely. Likely to be ejected in an accident unless holster is of high quality design.

On-Bike Carry:

Backpack Carry:
You'll never know it's there aside from the weight. No one else will know it is there period. Fairly easy to keep on person, though will require personal awareness not to leave it unattended. EVER. Basically not accessible unless off bike. Extremely restricted access while on bike. Highly unlikely to cause any personal injury if impacted in an accident. Extreme circumstances could cause the firearm to come free of the backpack during an accident. (Example: Ejected through hole torn in pack during accident.)

Tank Bag Carry:
You won't know it's there unless you open the tank bag and look, and neither will anyone else. Fairly easy to keep on person, though will require personal awareness not to leave it unattended. EVER. Restricted access while on bike. Unlikely to cause personal injury if impacted in accident. If tank bag is secured by magnets, fair likelihood that bag will be ejected during accident, but firearm should remain inside.

Tail Bag / Saddle Bags Carry:
You won't know it's there unless you open the bag and look, and neither will anyone else. Fairly cumbersome to keep on person, IF they are easily detached and you have the willingness to do so. If the bags stay on the bike, you will have to transfer the firearm from them to your person and back at every stop, or take the risk of leaving them unattended. (Locks only keep honest people honest!) Obviously will require personal awareness not to leave detached bags accessible to others. EVER. Highly restricted access while on bike. Unlikely to cause personal injury if impacted in accident. Not likely to be ejected during an accident unless bags are not properly closed or secured.

Bike-Mounted Carry:
I will not cover all the options here, just focusing on the general concept. An easily accessed position will mean it is also easily seen and accessed by others. A well hidden position will likely highly decrease accessibility to the firearm, to both yourself and others. Fully hidden will likely mean no access while on the bike. Only the best holster quality and design will have any chance of keeping a bike-mounted firearm from being ejected in an accident. If the firearm is ejected, it will likely cause significant damage to whatever it impacts, including yourself or others. Chances of loss of firearm in accident are high. Personal awareness to never leave the firearm on the bike while unattended is paramount. I would suggest that the firearm be removed and placed on person or other form of carry any time the bike is not being actively ridden.

Don't try to find an end-all way to carry while riding. Some situations may allow you to carry the way you normally would while not riding. In other situations it may be best to switch to another method. It's your call.

That about covers it. As stated in the beginning, these are my opinions based on my experiences. These are definitely not all the possibilities for carrying while riding, but they are the ones which I have either practiced or directly observed over time.
I appreciate the run down... Thank you.

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #17 of 388 Old 02-28-2015, 04:18 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Ah... this topic....
Mr. B,

Excellent write-up. Really appreciate your taking the time to provide some really good info on the topic. One that's really "close to my heart"

post #18 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 08:13 AM
Di"zx"en

Keep it where you carry it normally. There is no such thing as quick draw McGraw on the bike. Your right wrist is what needs to be quick in that case and just do your best to stay out of the situation. There is no good way. Great write up badmoon. You nailed it completely.

That'll work........
post #19 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 08:47 AM
just send it.

Garage
post #20 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I like that...

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #21 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97af View Post
Keep it where you carry it normally. There is no such thing as quick draw McGraw on the bike. Your right wrist is what needs to be quick in that case and just do your best to stay out of the situation. There is no good way. Great write up badmoon. You nailed it completely.
I carry IWB at about 3:15 normally... On the bike this is uncomfortable, and I worry about it becoming visible if my jacket rides up (I have a tall torso and most of my jackets are too short) I just ordered a shoulder holster and I'm going to see how that works out... I for sure never plan on drawing while riding. If my hand is on the throttle that's a much better use of it and I can GTFO... I plan on carrying more for off-bike scenarios, but I ride just about every day April-November, so I need to find a way to carry comfortably and safely while riding.

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #22 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 09:29 AM
No Destination

Quote:
I appreciate the run down... Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandeib View Post
Mr. B,

Excellent write-up. Really appreciate your taking the time to provide some really good info on the topic. One that's really "close to my heart"
No problem, guys... happy to help. Just saw the topic and figured I should share my experience.

1982 Kawasaki KZ750 CSR (Cafe) (Sold)
1985 Honda Interceptor VF700F (Sold)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250R EX250F15 (Sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
1978 Suzuki GS750E
1981 Suzuki GS1000G (Cafe Project)
1983 Yamaha IT 490
2002 Honda 919/Hornet CB900F2
2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R ZX636B1
Click here to find Beetle (Mr. B) on Facebook
Click here to watch Beetle (Mr. B) on YouTube
post #23 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Centurion

Genuine question from a country where you don't carry guns.

Why do you need to carry a gun while riding?

post #24 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 12:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZspokes View Post
Genuine question from a country where you don't carry guns.

Why do you need to carry a gun while riding?
The same reasons why I carry when I don't ride: there are bad people in the world.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #25 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
The same reasons why I carry when I don't ride: there are bad people in the world.
But they are not allowed to have guns, it's against the law. So you're automagically protected right there.

Plus, if something does happen, you can calmly pull out your phone and dial 911 while the perp waits. He won't do anything until the cops get there. Pinky Promise.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #26 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 12:40 PM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
But they are not allowed to have guns, it's against the law. So you're automagically protected right there.

Plus, if something does happen, you can calmly pull out your phone and dial 911 while the perp waits. He won't do anything until the cops get there. Pinky Promise.

[This space for rent]
post #27 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Never!!!

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #28 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Centurion

We have very little gun crime.

post #29 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 02:52 PM
dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZspokes View Post
We have very little gun crime.
That's where the media and anti-gun people always take the argument sideways; it's not about needing a gun to defend against a gun, it's about needing a gun to defend. Period.
Just an example: I've had a road-raged guy stop in the middle of a busy street, get out of his truck, and charge at me. I managed to make it out of there, but not before he tried yank me off when I was already doing 15mph. I am not a big guy, but he was. Had he been successful in pulling me off I would have been in a one-on-one with somebody much larger than me and quite out of control with nowhere to run.

post #30 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapedLabRat View Post
That's where the media and anti-gun people always take the argument sideways; it's not about needing a gun to defend against a gun, it's about needing a gun to defend. Period. Just an example: I've had a road-raged guy stop in the middle of a busy street, get out of his truck, and charge at me. I managed to make it out of there, but not before he tried yank me off when I was already doing 15mph. I am not a big guy, but he was. Had he been successful in pulling me off I would have been in a one-on-one with somebody much larger than me and quite out of control with nowhere to run.
And you would have shot him?

post #31 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 03:57 PM
dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
And you would have shot him?
Yeah, I set myself up for that one. I should have stated that in this specific situation drawing a gun would have been completely unjustified and honestly quite stupid. What I failed to communicate was that I was simply attempting to highlight how unexpected things that "could never happen to me" can happen in everyday life, and specifically just how exposed we are on motorcycles. If this could happen - especially in the "good" "quiet" town I live in - , then I could easily see a road-raged driver trying to run me down, in which case I would definitely shoot if I was unable to get away first.
As a side note, if I could have chosen anything for this specific situation it probably would have just been pepper spray.

post #32 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/ar...bbery-attempt/
For scenarios like this... But of course that would never happen, Chicago has some of the most strict gun laws in the country, and bad guys always follow the law...

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #33 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 06:47 PM
Milites Gregarius

Coming from an Ex Pat NZ'r living in Aus, It perplexes me the gun culture. I grew up in the country and guns were kept in closets or gun cabinets when they were introduced. Only time they came out was for hunting, putting down a sick beast or for when my Grandma competed in pistol events in North Auckland.
Be safe, hope you never have to use your gun in anger.

Maloney67
"it's easier to ask forgiveness
than it is to get permission"
post #34 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/ar...bbery-attempt/
For scenarios like this... But of course that would never happen, Chicago has some of the most strict gun laws in the country, and bad guys always follow the law...
I agree, if a 16 year old can get a gun then clearly the gun laws aren't strict enough.

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT
post #35 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
I agree, if a 16 year old can get a gun then clearly the gun laws aren't strict enough.
You're missing the point... Law breakers don't follow laws... No where in the United States can a 16 year old buy or own a handgun... Making more gun laws to stop people who break the law with guns is asinine. That's one thing that has always floored me, guns are about the only thing that is regulated because you COULD do something bad with them, not being punished after you do it... Every car is capable of speeding, but purchase of a car is not predicated on determining the likelihood that you will speed... Making laws to make it harder for law abiding citizens is just taking guns out of the hands of good guys, it's not going to stop people who plan on breaking the law anyways... And one of the best remedies for a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #36 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
We have the same strict laws for booze, cigarettes, pot, and underage sex.

Works great...

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #37 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloney67 View Post
Coming from an Ex Pat NZ'r living in Aus, It perplexes me the gun culture. I grew up in the country and guns were kept in closets or gun cabinets when they were introduced. Only time they came out was for hunting, putting down a sick beast or for when my Grandma competed in pistol events in North Auckland. Be safe, hope you never have to use your gun in anger.
Guns absolutely should never be used in anger, and most likely if they are you're going to jail for a long time for it... In the act of protection from grievous bodily harm or injury is about the only country wide reason to draw your weapon... There's a good handful of states that allow you to protect your home as your "castle" and defend it if someone breaks in as well, regardless of weather they pose a threat of direct bodily harm or not.

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #38 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
We have the same strict laws for booze, cigarettes, pot, and underage sex. Works great...
And look how well making other drugs illegal got them completely off the streets!

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #39 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
And look how well making other drugs illegal got them completely off the streets!
Not just that, but everyone that was formerly tempted by such things miraculously agreed that the rule was for them and turned their lives around!

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #40 of 388 Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode