Best riding pants for street protection?? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Best riding pants for street protection??

I always wear gear head to toe except for the pants. What would be a good street duty pant that offers great protection? Not really looking at Jean type. Are there any good textile or canvas type that can hold up in a worse case scenario? Or is leather the only way to go here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Riding Naked All The Time

Why discounting jean type? There are several good Kevlar jean makers.

2004 919 Uranium

post #3 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Not sure if the protection is there when you hit the ground is all

post #4 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Riding Naked All The Time

Kevlar with armor inserts will be as good as textile or canvas. Nothing will beat leather though.

2004 919 Uranium

post #5 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I have worn a pair of Darien Pants from Aerostich for the past year and have been very pleased with them. Bought them used off ADVRider for $200.00 like brand new. A great complement to my Darien Jackets.

Aero Home :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #6 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 03:01 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Aerostich has everything good! They have a HUGE selection of items, and most of them are made to fit you. They are some clever buggers when it comes to improving a product or making something new; give them a call, talk for a few minutes, and they can set you up with something that will suit your needs, and exceed your expectations

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #7 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Good stuff. I will check them out . Thanks to all

post #8 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Damn that stuff is kinda expensive. Although probably money well spent

post #9 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Pilus Posterior

I've been using denim that has Kevlar, knee, and hip CE pads for over 5 years now. I had 3 accidents and still have blood stains on the hip pad.

Point: denim can be very strong. I'd look for BOTH knee and hip pads as well as Kevlar.

IIRC, they were < $100 (bought off season, on sale)

post #10 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I've been using denim that has Kevlar, knee, and hip CE pads for over 5 years now. I had 3 accidents and still have blood stains on the hip pad.

Point: denim can be very strong. I'd look for BOTH knee and hip pads as well as Kevlar.

IIRC, they were < $100 (bought off season, on sale)
What brand?

post #11 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Milites Gregarius

I have these:

Police Stretch Pant | Pants | Motoport | 102.567

Police use them. They are race approved and have a greater tear strength than leather. They also don't lose their strength when they get wet. You can also get a removable waterproof and windproof liner that goes on the inside. They are also tailor made for you (you have to send them a pair of your pants). Finally, they are made in the US, if that means something to you (it didn't to me, I am from Canada...

I definitely do not feel as comfortable riding when I don't have these on...

I am sure that there are other really good products out there.

2005 Honda CB919F
2003 Honda CBR954RR (sold)
1990's Suzuki TS200 (sold)
1987 Kawasaki Ninja 750R (sold)
1984 Kawasaki GPz 550 (sold)
Dirt Bikes
post #12 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by op_man1 View Post
I have these:

Police use them. They are race approved and have a greater tear strength than leather. They also don't lose their strength when they get wet. You can also get a removable waterproof and windproof liner that goes on the inside. They are also tailor made for you (you have to send them a pair of your pants). Finally, they are made in the US, if that means something to you (it didn't to me, I am from Canada...

I definitely do not feel as comfortable riding when I don't have these on...

I am sure that there are other really good products out there.
Good find ! Added to my short list of prospects

post #13 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by op_man1 View Post
I have these:

Wow, I never knew a custom store like this existed. $429 for pants is pricey and i can't afford it but it's really top notch!

post #14 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

429 is just the starting price without armor

post #15 of 28 Old 08-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
429 is just the starting price without armor
It comes with armour - the extra $'s are for the super duper armour.

I got the basic armour and it is very high quality, no need to get the better one.

2005 Honda CB919F
2003 Honda CBR954RR (sold)
1990's Suzuki TS200 (sold)
1987 Kawasaki Ninja 750R (sold)
1984 Kawasaki GPz 550 (sold)
Dirt Bikes
post #16 of 28 Old 08-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Milites Gregarius

I'm wearing Olympia Airglide pants (and hi-viz jacket) and really like them. Haven't tested the protection yet, and hope not to, but they seem well made, are comfy, and reasonably cool in hot weather (I just wear them over shorts). Haven't really tested the rain liner yet. They run about $230.

post #17 of 28 Old 08-08-2015, 03:23 PM
Road Pilot

Garage
When I'm not wearing my leather I wear Alpinestars Street Cargo pants. Very high quality, comfortable, and durable. Had mine for a year and still look new.
post #18 of 28 Old 08-08-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
When I'm not wearing my leather I wear Alpinestars Street Cargo pants. Very high quality, comfortable, and durable. Had mine for a year and still look new.
Haha great picture!

post #19 of 28 Old 08-09-2015, 12:24 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
What brand?
Their Red Route brand and they were the only brand at that time at Cycle Gear that had both knee and hips pads along with Kevlar.

5 years with pretty regular use is better than I'd expect. I don't drive a car, I only ride for the last 2 years. Only wash once in a while, that seems to help them last.

Red Route Rider Jeans

Edit: just checked the "buy here" link on that page and it seems the only jeans are a different brand. Hmmm. Maybe someone else sells them.

post #20 of 28 Old 08-10-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Anyone ever try out this body armor? http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/cata...FQ2OaQod3O4AZQ

post #21 of 28 Old 08-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Pilus Posterior

There's two parts of the protection equation. Keeping away from the road rash and impact. I didn't find many in stock that had both pads and Kevlar.

It's not a bad idea at all to have those kind of pads as one layer of protection.

post #22 of 28 Old 08-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Josh

Garage
I've been using Joe Rocket Ballistic Overpants for 5 years now, riding every day, and they have held up well. I had to replace one of the zipper pulls, and some of the velcro is in sad shape, but for overpants I've never found anything that can beat them for price.

post #23 of 28 Old 08-11-2015, 12:03 PM
PB

I have a pair of Scorpion Covert Pro Jeans with SAS-TEC knee and hip pads.

They're obviously heavier than regular jeans, but I really like how the Cordura exterior provides a lot more durability than conventional denim with a nice feel. Not a cheap option, but they look like regular jeans, have armor, are kevlar lined, and you won't be able to do much better without going to leather.

post #24 of 28 Old 08-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB_ESQ View Post
I have a pair of Scorpion Covert Pro Jeans with SAS-TEC knee and hip pads.

They're obviously heavier than regular jeans, but I really like how the Cordura exterior provides a lot more durability than conventional denim with a nice feel. Not a cheap option, but they look like regular jeans, have armor, are kevlar lined, and you won't be able to do much better without going to leather.
Those look VERY close to mine except the color. Not a bad price, but maybe they go on sale off season.

post #25 of 28 Old 08-12-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Well I pulled the trigger on a pair of Scorpion Covert jeans and the armor sold separately. After reading a lot I reviews I went with original instead of the pros. Basically people complaining about poor stitching on the inside and the Velcro actually cutting people's legs. They should be here in a few days. They cost $191 shipped with knee and hip armor. I will give a full report in the near future. I never knew finding a pair of riding pants would be so difficult and time consuming! Thanks for all of the input. Feel free to keep adding info about your favorite pair of pants so others may benefit from feedback. I know I will be buying another pair eventually as well. Cheers!

post #26 of 28 Old 08-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Well I pulled the trigger on a pair of Scorpion Covert jeans and the armor sold separately. After reading a lot I reviews I went with original instead of the pros. Basically people complaining about poor stitching on the inside and the Velcro actually cutting people's legs. They should be here in a few days. They cost $191 shipped with knee and hip armor. I will give a full report in the near future. I never knew finding a pair of riding pants would be so difficult and time consuming! Thanks for all of the input. Feel free to keep adding info about your favorite pair of pants so others may benefit from feedback. I know I will be buying another pair eventually as well. Cheers!
Looks like a great choice and not a bad price!

BTW, if you want them to stay deep blue, you can set the color by washing them in salt water a few times. Take about 1 cup of salt and add it to the 1st few washings and they'll stay dark blue longer. Otherwise, they'll fad as jeans always do.

post #27 of 28 Old 08-12-2015, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post

Looks like a great choice and not a bad price!

BTW, if you want them to stay deep blue, you can set the color by washing them in salt water a few times. Take about 1 cup of salt and add it to the 1st few washings and they'll stay dark blue longer. Otherwise, they'll fad as jeans always do.
Will do. Thanks for the advice

post #28 of 28 Old 10-31-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Well the Scorpion jeans don't fit that well . They would be better for a taller person for the knee armor. But I did score a new pair of Gerbing Ex heated pants to complete my winter setup. They seem to be very good quality and fit. They heat up instantly and are very comfortable. They also have knee pads, removable liner and flaps to open for ventilation. Be careful if you do order a pair. They run small. I picked them up on fleabay really cheap. The guy said he ordered them to fit a 35 waist. When really they fit a 31-32. I went for a ride with them and quickly had to pull over and adjust them temp. Now let's see how long my battery/stator / rectifier/ wiring can handle the jacket, gloves , pants and grips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode