Best boots? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 09-12-2008, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
'05 919

Best boots?

I'm trying to find a good compromise bike boot for my Niner, something with good protection, reasonable price and decent looks. I'm a commuter/weekend run kind of rider so a high-end race boot seems like overkill.

I thought the Icon Field Armor boot was going to be it, looked cool in the pics and I got a good deal on a barely used pair on ebay. That was a bad idea, terrible for the 919! Way too heavy/clunky and I couldn't fit my toe under the shift lever. I couldn't feel anything at all through them.

Wish I could see and try a variety of boots but there's not much around here. I was curious what any of you had tried, liked/hated, recommendations, any opinion at all! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

This topic is best addressed in the Boots and Gloves forum. Moved...

post #3 of 18 Old 09-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

When it comes to protecting the nearly hundred bones in your ankles and feet, nothing is overkill. But the best protection you can, trust me on this one.

Check for closeouts at Competition Accessories or motorcyclecloseouts.com for some great deals.

post #4 of 18 Old 09-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Both my wife and I went to Alpinstar boots after using Teknics for a few years, the Teknics didn't hold up well to racing at all, the Alpinstars have been great. Also changed to Alpinstar gloves from Teknics for the same reason. Haven't tried a lot of other stuff...but the price/performance of the Alpinstar stuff sure seems to work.
JohnnyB

post #5 of 18 Old 09-13-2008, 05:38 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I work in an office but have to wear steel toes when I go on the plant floor so what I did was picked up a good pair of Rocky steel toe boots that go over the ankle (padded), and are reinforced with Kevlar. Makes for a pretty stiff boot, but the steel in the toe stops short of the shifter so I can feel it. They aren't too bulky either. After a work discount they were only about $60. Probably not as good as actual riding boots, but better than the tennis and dress shoes I was wearing before.

post #6 of 18 Old 09-13-2008, 12:02 PM
I Love Parallel Twins

I have used two different boots while I ride, One is your standard military jump boot in tan (color doesn't matter, I just like the tan) they work great but you have to not mind lacing them up and unlacing them off.
I also have a pair of Magnum Stealth's with the side zipper so after they are laced up to fit you can just unzip them to get out and vice verse to put them back on. Nice! Magnums are like the boots your SWAT teams use, along with Bates Tactical Boots. All day comfort and no problems with shift levers.
Magnums are less than 80 bucks at your local police supply store.
One of these days I would like to try the Alpinestars Ridge Boots.

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #7 of 18 Old 09-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

I wear boots pretty much all the time, riding or not so I don't even bother with "motorcycle" boots. I had a pair of ankle high sketchers for the past 6-7 years or so. Recently replaced them with Docs but Docs aren't real great for walking. Might be looking for something else myself next year. Both have worked great for riding as I have no trouble shifting or feeling the pegs and levers.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #8 of 18 Old 09-30-2008, 09:52 AM
ajg
Twisties only please.

I bought a pair of the alpinestar ridge waterproof boots a couple of months ago and have really liked them. They look pretty good with jeans and are supercomfortable. After I ride in them I usually just keep them on for the rest of the day. Also are really easy to get on and off if you do decide to take them off. For a little over a hundred I think they are a great buy.

post #9 of 18 Old 09-30-2008, 10:53 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I recently picked up a pair of Alpinestar Tech8's for $60. Yeah that's right

Surprisingly enough, MX boots will work, but I definitely wouldn't suggest it.
I'm just trying to get 'em broke-in.

I know, you're thinkin' "why is this idiot posting about MX boots in this thread"
I'm like the nerd who just nailed the supermodel - I got $300 boots for $60...
I'm telling EVERYBODY

post #10 of 18 Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
I wear boots pretty much all the time, riding or not so I don't even bother with "motorcycle" boots. I had a pair of ankle high sketchers for the past 6-7 years or so. Recently replaced them with Docs but Docs aren't real great for walking. Might be looking for something else myself next year. Both have worked great for riding as I have no trouble shifting or feeling the pegs and levers.

I have been wearing a pair of Docs for the last year or so and I have no problem walking or riding in them. They did a pretty good job of protecting my feet when I laid down my Nighthawk too. Of course, that was a low speed get off, so I can't really vouch for them at high speeds. Hopefully I never will be able to.

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I got a pair of these at "Famous Footwear" outlet type store. I was looking for something with ankle support that would fit under the shifter easily that looks decent enough to wear to the office.

They are Rockport XCS Westlake. I picked them up for under $50. Very comfortable and waterproof

post #12 of 18 Old 09-30-2008, 03:32 PM
boogerface

I bought a pair of Alpinestar S-MX 2s... I haven't used them yet, though. I've been wearing a pair of Sketcher work boots that I bought for the MSF course...

Michael Reyes

2002 Honda 919 / 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan
post #13 of 18 Old 10-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

all i got to say about boots is, make sure there's hard protection for your ankles...

if you're unlucky enough to lowside and have the bike lay on top of you, well, it hurts the ankle muchly

i've crash tested my sidi verts a bunch of times (whatever) and the hard protection for the ankles has made all the difference imho

post #14 of 18 Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I have a few brands of boots, including some pricey Daytonas, but more then often I find myself wearing my postal issue boots. They are the Rocky TMC boot and around $80-$100 depending on where you get them. Super comfy and lightweight on and off the bike and they feel broken in the first time you wear them. They have a springy sole that is very flexible and grips on slick surfaces. They come in a 6" and 8" version.

post #15 of 18 Old 10-06-2008, 06:32 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

That is my prefered style of boot. Thanks for the pic.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #16 of 18 Old 10-06-2008, 07:39 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg View Post
I bought a pair of the alpinestar ridge waterproof boots a couple of months ago and have really liked them. They look pretty good with jeans and are supercomfortable. After I ride in them I usually just keep them on for the rest of the day. Also are really easy to get on and off if you do decide to take them off. For a little over a hundred I think they are a great buy.

+1 Solid sole and great ankle support without all the hi-po race plastic. (nothing against those boots) paid 110. for mine. love 'em.

post #17 of 18 Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

+2

Those were my first pair of street boots when I got the 919. Still use them when it rains.

post #18 of 18 Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Rider reborn

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I had to were some A-Stars Tech 6's for Cornerspin a few weekends ago- MX boots are seriously heavy!!! especially with mud clinging to them.

I've been wearing these on most rides lately. Comfortable, easy on/off, plenty of protection...
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1360

Lex Talionis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode