Bell Star Contra Helmet - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Bell Star Contra Helmet

I have been looking at these helmets for a while, but have never found one in a local shop to try on for size. Found a deal that was too good to pass up at Motorcycle Closeouts. They were advertised as paint blemish models for $199 with a free dark smoke shield (normally and extra $40).

Even though it was listed as a paint blem, I can't find any blemish or problem at all Fit and finish is very nice.

For comparison, my old helmet is an HJC AC-12 Carbon model and about 4 1/2 years old.

The inside of the helmet feels very plush and comfortable and luckily fit my head just great.

Ventilation in this helmet is really great with all the vents open although it is a bit noisy at highway speeds without ear plugs. I normally wear earplugs or an MP3/ earbuds, so it's not such an issue, but it's definitely louder than my HJC. I guess with good ventilation comes some wind noise. The helmet is very stable at highway speeds and I didn't notice any lift at all.

The shield mechanism works very well. 3 positions, locked, unlocked and cracked. Just pull the lever all the way forward and it locks the shield open about 1/8". Changing shield is a breeze and works exactly like my HJC. Visibility is good (about the same as my old one). The shields are anti-fog and so far have stayed fog free, but 50 F is the coldest ride so far.

The helmet comes with an extra set of cheek pads and a really nice carrying bag. Not sure if it was a mistake , but I got not only a free dark smoke shield but also an extra clear one .

Very nice helmet and accessories for the price. Comfortable, stable, nice features, great ventilation, just a little noisy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 05:20 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I tried on a Bell RS1 the other day, and I really liked the micro-fiber suede in the lining...it felt very comfy! I've been thinking about picking up a Bell Revolver flip-front for a couple weeks, since they are on deep discount everywhere right now.

MM, report back after a few hundred miles and let us know what you think then! It looks like you got a really good buy on it!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Batman

i've had a bell star for 3 years now.

Pros: light, great optical shield, quick release and ventilation
cons: too much airflow, not the quietest (no fairing here, obviously) and mine may have a stress fracture stemming from the quick release system.

Would I recommmend it? Most certainly at the discounted price, the quality and the bag alone offset many things.

Would I recommend at full retail? Nope - I've figured that helmet technology isn't proprietary really and the star may work really well for those who are racing orientated. For street riding, I feel scorpions, or hjc may fulfill the need of many. Especially since some other helmets weigh only grams more, and offer more features (internal shade, more control over ventilation or even flipups).

I would steer cleer of the RS1, I've tried it on and it's shape is WAY too pointy and narrow, and the chin didn't come down far enough for my riding style.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Discen

Nice helmet , congrats

post #5 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
MM, report back after a few hundred miles and let us know what you think then! It looks like you got a really good buy on it!
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
i've had a bell star for 3 years now.

Pros: light, great optical shield, quick release and ventilation
cons: too much airflow, not the quietest (no fairing here, obviously) and mine may have a stress fracture stemming from the quick release system.

Would I recommmend it? Most certainly at the discounted price, the quality and the bag alone offset many things.

Would I recommend at full retail? Nope - I've figured that helmet technology isn't proprietary really and the star may work really well for those who are racing orientated. For street riding, I feel scorpions, or hjc may fulfill the need of many. Especially since some other helmets weigh only grams more, and offer more features (internal shade, more control over ventilation or even flipups).

I would steer cleer of the RS1, I've tried it on and it's shape is WAY too pointy and narrow, and the chin didn't come down far enough for my riding style.
Sounds like your experience matches what I have seen so far. I wouldn't pay full retail on this helmet ($549) for any helmet.

My HJC has done well. Only real complaint was the shield fogged easily in cool weather and it wouldn't stay cracked open over about 30 MPH.

I like Scorpion Helmets. I think they are very good quality, but I tried an EXO-700 and I couldn't stand to wear it due to the pressure it put on my forehead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangster View Post
Nice helmet , congrats
Thanks

post #6 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Batman

Ps, if you like the lid, they came out with a sun changing shield last year, pretty cool, but I like my dark iridium better.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Nice pick up, Mike. Would you say that you've got a long/oval head? I'm guessing that the EXO-700 is round shaped.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2011, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
Nice pick up, Mike. Would you say that you've got a long/oval head? I'm guessing that the EXO-700 is round shaped.
Thanks. I would say so, and that would explain the forehead pressure with the EXO-700

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode