armored jeans recomendations - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 41 Old 03-11-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

armored jeans recomendations

Anyone have any suggestions on armored jeans?

The draggin jeans seem pretty nice. Although you have to pay extra for the pads.

I have a pair of joe rocket ballistic 7.0 pants and I love them. I'm just looking for something more light weight for the summer.

This is what I have

Looking for jeans. any suggestions/ reviews?

I prefer a relaxed fit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 03-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Left of Centre

I'm wearing a brand called "Rhino" - kevlar panels, relaxed fit, can take armour if you want.

Not sure whether you'll find them where you are....

post #3 of 41 Old 03-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Ginger-prick

I've been shopping around for the same. I want to be Protected when I ride, but not look silly wearing them in a bar/movies/club

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.

post #4 of 41 Old 03-11-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

These look pretty bice. I like the style and the price.

image-297465620.jpg

post #5 of 41 Old 03-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Ginger-prick

I'm digging these:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ar_jeans.html#

2007 Honda 919.
post #6 of 41 Old 03-11-2012, 04:34 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post
Quote:
Two rear pockets with button down flaps
they'd get uncomfortable really quick for riding at any length of time.

post #7 of 41 Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 PM
hooligan on the 919

i've got some red route (cycle gear) ones, black cargo pants fit great, normal-ish jeans not so well (super baggy) but the cargo pants took three spills without wearing through the kevlar. all wrecks were >55mph but i'll keep wearing them!

post #8 of 41 Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

why jeans?
If I want to wear jeans while riding, I wear them under my riding pants. Hot summer day they go in the bag and ride alone.

post #9 of 41 Old 03-11-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Hot summer day riding jeans are gonna be better off than regular jeans in a crash.

Quote:
Two rear pockets with button down flaps

they'd get uncomfortable really quick for riding at any length of time.

I agree. I have a pair of working pants like that and I rode with them once, sucked.

As of right now I'm digging the new joe rockets. They don't come out untill mid april.
Which normally be totally cool but it is going to be in the 70's this week and who know's what this years weather will be like, We have had some awesome weather here in the north east

post #10 of 41 Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Steve

Jeans will do nothing when your knee slams into the pavement at 70 mph.Trust me, I have firsthand experience with that.They will help with road rash after the initial impact but that initial impact is a bitch! Took me almost a year to walk right again. At a minimum I wear alpinestars hard knee armor over my jeans but I usually wear mesh armored pants in the summer months. Make sure it's CE approved and not that cheap foam crap some companies use.

My two cents...

post #11 of 41 Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 PM
just send it.

Garage
After reading about hangster's crash I've been looking at getting myself a decent pair of riding pants and boots. Since I don't typically have luggage attached to my bike, and storage space on the 9er is so limited, it would be nice to have something comfortable enough for walking around in.

I hate buying stuff like this online because it's nice to see it in person and try it on first. I'd hate to spend a couple hundred bucks on riding gear to have it show up at my house and realize it's not what I want or expected.

[This space for rent]
post #12 of 41 Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
After reading about hangster's crash I've been looking at getting myself a decent pair of riding pants and boots. Since I don't typically have luggage attached to my bike, and storage space on the 9er is so limited, it would be nice to have something comfortable enough for walking around in.

I hate buying stuff like this online because it's nice to see it in person and try it on first. I'd hate to spend a couple hundred bucks on riding gear to have it show up at my house and realize it's not what I want or expected.
In that case, order through Motorcycle Superstore. They are way good on returns (only charge $6.99 return shipping). Or, if you have an Amazon Prime account, you can return anything for free. Motorcycle superstore has an Amazon store front, but with Prime, shipping is free.

And I'm right up your alley. After viewing that thread, I'm saving up for boots. They are coming out of my taxes!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #13 of 41 Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 PM
hooligan on the 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
Jeans will do nothing when your knee slams into the pavement at 70 mph.Trust me, I have firsthand experience with that.They will help with road rash after the initial impact but that initial impact is a bitch! Took me almost a year to walk right again. At a minimum I wear alpinestars hard knee armor over my jeans but I usually wear mesh armored pants in the summer months. Make sure it's CE approved and not that cheap foam crap some companies use.

My two cents...
I hear that, and felt like a first class retard when wrecked after having taken the armor out of the jeans a week before. That said, how well do the armor pockets in most riding jeans work if filled with a CE kneepad? I don't want to hear conjecture, if anyone has experience or links to a good article i'd love to see it. ever since the last wreck i make sure that armor is in!

post #14 of 41 Old 03-12-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post

My two cents...
I know jeans will do nothing on impact. thats why I'm looking to buy "armored jeans" as seen in the title. they will provide some armor in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-man View Post
I hear that, and felt like a first class retard when wrecked after having taken the armor out of the jeans a week before. That said, how well do the armor pockets in most riding jeans work if filled with a CE kneepad? I don't want to hear conjecture, if anyone has experience or links to a good article i'd love to see it. ever since the last wreck i make sure that armor is in!
From what I've read and seen on revzilla, and the fact that it makes total sense, if you have knee pads in your pants, they will be lower than your knee when walking around. They are designed to be on your knee in the riding position. if that's any help.

Anyone else have armored riding jeans?

post #15 of 41 Old 03-12-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Although the more I look, the more limited the selection is of good armored riding jeans. At least with good reviews. The ones with armor in them seem to not get great reviews. So I think what I will do is get some riding jeans. For days I ride to go hang out or do something. Then buy some summer riding pants. I have the joe rocket ballistic 7.0 and they block all wind. Great pant, just not for summer. So maybe I'll get the joe rocket alter ego, phoenix, or the atomic pant. Anyone know which is best for summer riding?

post #16 of 41 Old 03-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Steve

"I know jeans will do nothing on impact. thats why I'm looking to buy "armored jeans" as seen in the title. they will provide some armor in them."

Sorry man, I misinterpeted your post. I assumed you were talking about kevlar jeans like the old draggin jeans which have no armor but help resist rash. I've never seen jeans with CE armor. That might be kinda cool. I'll shutup now... Carry on....

post #17 of 41 Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

lol. Dont be sorry. Its all cool. Just sayin

post #18 of 41 Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Love my BIG BOY Toys!

Hope you have better luck than I have locating armored jeans. All I see are kevlar jeans & and armored textile pants. Need coolness for the summer

1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero*
2004 Honda 919 *
2005 Harley Davidson Road Glide *
2002 Honda VTX 1800C*

* SOLD *
post #19 of 41 Old 03-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Cornicen

I guess kevlar jeans with armor at the knees would be better than nothing but i have my doubts as to how well the armor would stay in place upon impact as theyre "loose" over the knee/shin. When my komine kevlar jeans gave out, i took the kevlar patches from the butt & knees (along with the pockets for the armor) and had them double stitched into a new pair of levis. Im puzzled by the baggy top-half & tapered at the ankle "grandpa" cut and styling of brands like draggin and joe rocket etc. So i added some protection to my 501's, which fit just right. Its my compromise of some level of impact/abrasion protection and practicality off the bike as i dont always wana lool like im a "rider" when i get to my destination.

Japanese brands like komine and rs taichi are popular here and offer some "non-biker" looking protective gear...though i use the term "protective", loosely.

post #20 of 41 Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun
So maybe I'll get the joe rocket alter ego, phoenix, or the atomic pant. Anyone know which is best for summer riding?
So...do you have the phoenix pants or not? Confused a bit.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #21 of 41 Old 03-13-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

No. I have the ballistic 7.0.

Looking to get maybe the alter ego, or maybe the Phoenix, or maybe the atomic

post #22 of 41 Old 03-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
I'm wearing a brand called "Rhino" - kevlar panels, relaxed fit, can take armour if you want.

Not sure whether you'll find them where you are....
Try ....RHINO PANTS....

Jeans w armour (in pockets) in hips and knees, Kevlar panels inside. Sizes in inches, just like you are used to.

That'd be a hoot, a US customer placing an order to an NZ firm. Might make up for the imbalance of payments I'm creating, every time I order from the US!

post #23 of 41 Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Silent but Deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
No. I have the ballistic 7.0.

Looking to get maybe the alter ego, or maybe the Phoenix, or maybe the atomic
I have the Phoenix pants and I really like them. I wear them all year round. I have a ski liner that i were under them in the winter and in the summer i just where vented shorts. They are a little bulky but that is what I expected for protective overpants.

post #24 of 41 Old 03-17-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I ended up getting the Joe rocket alter ego 2.0's. I should have them next week

But I will order the new joe rocket denim jeans 3.0 when they come out in april. The jeans will be for those days I'm going out with friends or doing alot of walking and not alot of riding. Like those days where you show up to a friend's party on the bike just to be a bad ass. YOU KNOW YOU'VE DONE IT! lol

post #25 of 41 Old 03-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Tirone

Garage
I've been eyeballing these for a few weeks Sliders Kevlar Motorcycle Riding Jeans 4.0 - Compacc

They have a showroom just off I-77 in Rock Hill, SC which is just south of Charlotte, NC. Since I will be traveling to Charlotte tomorrow, I've decided to make a little side trip to check these out. If I buy a pair, I'll give a review.

post #26 of 41 Old 03-17-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

cool. thanks.

They look nice, almost classic cut. I'm a loose kind of jean guy. So make sure to comment about how they fit

post #27 of 41 Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Tirone

Garage
I purchased a pair of the Sliders pants (36 waist, 32 inseam) from Competition Accessories. They have a nice facility in Rock Hill. You have to use the bathrooms as dressing rooms though. Which is a bit problematic because there is only one men's and one women's. Trying on a few sizes of pants while working around people using the bathroom is interesting. Thank god no one dropped a bomb while I was there!

As indicated with most of the reviews I had found for these, they run large. I normally wear a 36" waist which are loose enough to be comfortable. The Sliders at that size require a belt to stay up. The 34 waist fit, but were just a bit snug compared to what I like. The material doesn't look like it was pre-shrunk. So the fit may change after a couple of washings. After I add the zipper to attach to my jacket, it shouldn't be a problem. The 32 inseam is a lot shorter than the 36 I normally wear, but I like to tuck my pants in my riding boots. But even the length is longer than a "standard" 32 inseam would be.

The stitching is fairly heavy and the kevlar panels cover a lot of area. You can find quite a few pictures online showing that.

It was interesting to note the small "pocketwatch" pocket has rivets at the corners. But the regular pockets do not. Maybe Levi's still have a patent on that?? Who knows.

While I'm not sure of the ability of these pants to handle a high speed crash (and I will never test that). They should prevent road rash if I ever encounter a low speed (<45mph) crash. Which is statistically when most motorcycle accidents happen. With cars pulling out in front of people. And I only wear protection like this if I'm on a long trip, admiring the countryside or riding with a pillion. For my solo "spirited" riding sessions, I have full leathers. (My wife cringes when she sees me pull them out!)

Of most interest to me was the ability to put the armor in the knees. I had a incident where a tractor trailer ran over a piece of wood about 18" long, and kicked it up while I was passing. It caught me right in my knee, then deflected to my elbow. I didn't feel much other than a thud on my elbow due to my jacket. But my knee ended up bruised as hell with a 3/4" sliver in it. I wasn't able to play hockey for three weeks.

The mesh armor pockets have Velcro "bulkheads" (see picture) to adjust where the pads sit on your knee. As also discussed in other reviews, when standing, the armor drops down a little bit. You can feel it on your shins.

The slits in the pads (see picture) are not wide enough to allow a good radius around my knee while sitting on the bike. I plan to open them up into V shapes to allow more flex.

I'll check back in a few weeks after I have put in some miles while wearing them.

post #28 of 41 Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Tirone

Garage
Hmm, pictures didn't attach. Looked OK on the preview. Weird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg php9ZssMeAM.jpg (14.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg php9vULoWAM.jpg (34.4 KB, 19 views)

post #29 of 41 Old 03-20-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

awesome review!! thanks

post #30 of 41 Old 03-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I wear the BMW City 2 pants,, awesome knee shin protection, comes with a hip pad too but could be a little larger.

post #31 of 41 Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Ginger-prick

I'm torn between these:
Fieldsheer Rider 2.0 Jeans :: MotorcycleGear.com
Speed and Strength Run With The Bulls Jeans :: MotorcycleGear.com

2007 Honda 919.
post #32 of 41 Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM
`

Awards Showcase

post #33 of 41 Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
why jeans?
If I want to wear jeans while riding, I wear them under my riding pants. Hot summer day they go in the bag and ride alone.
Zackly right. Why spend that kind of money on pants with no venting or waterproof liner? I remember talking to a squid friend about "safety" gear, riding pants in particular. His response was,"yeah but it needs to "look" like this." (jeans and a leather vest) They actually ridicule anyone who shows up in a full face lid or armored gear. Imagine that - grown men succumbing to peer pressure.

I remember the quote, "what other people think of me is none of my business." I could care less how I look to other people. I ride 100% ATGATT and I live in squidville. There's even a biker bar next door to my shop. My only concern is function (1) protection (2) water proof (3) warmth / air flow. Maybe once in a great while somebody might look to me and think I'm a serious rider.
post #34 of 41 Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 AM
TEXAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
They actually ridicule anyone who shows up in a full face lid or armored gear.

They... really? The people I hang with laugh out loud at anyone riding in squid gear. I think I'll stay with that crowd.

post #35 of 41 Old 03-26-2012, 06:29 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF1VE View Post
They... really? The people I hang with laugh out loud at anyone riding in squid gear. I think I'll stay with that crowd.
I say to each his own. If somebody's idea of motorcycling is wearing a dew rag to the ice house on a clear day, more power to 'em. I expect the same courtesy - but rarely get it. I frequently get snickered at when I wear this:

Sometimes they toss a dig at me saying, "Aren't you HOT!?" to which I reply, "Yes but you're not my type."

Here's a prime example of squid peer pressure:
Quote:
I spoke to a friend the other day who is a locksmith and has a rider gear store on the side. He told me about a young couple who had just bought new Harleys and came in to pick out a pair of good quality full face helmets. They returned the helmets a few days later because their buddies had laughed at them. My friend ran into the young woman some time later and asked how they were doing. She recounted the experience of watching her husband hit a curb at relatively low speed and seeing the bike flip over forward crushing his head.

I just don't get it. How does a grown man, otherwise the master of his destiny spend thousands on motorcycles, make a conscientious decision to spend hundreds on helmets and then cave in to a little peer pressure? I wonder how his buddies feel now or if they even realize what their jocular ridicule of the helmets has done. . . . . . . I just don't get it.
post #36 of 41 Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

+1. I agree. I like the suit. no homo. lol. Now that I'm older I want more gear most if not all the time. I have the ballistic pants for cold, alter ego pants for warm, and will get the armored jeans for extreme heat/ when I'm only riding to get to a place for a while. Most of the time I ride, just to ride. but sometimes I'll ride to go out with friends. So very little riding, more walking around, the armored jeans just seem to work

and when I say now that I'm older, I'm 23. lol, but when I was 19 and started to ride, I had that young kid attitude. "What could happen to me?" I also was pretty damn poor back then. Now that I dumped a bike (not the 919), and I make much more money, I want the protection

post #37 of 41 Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
+1. I agree. I like the suit. no homo. lol. Now that I'm older I want more gear most if not all the time. I have the ballistic pants for cold, alter ego pants for warm, and will get the armored jeans for extreme heat/ when I'm only riding to get to a place for a while. Most of the time I ride, just to ride. but sometimes I'll ride to go out with friends. So very little riding, more walking around, the armored jeans just seem to work

and when I say now that I'm older, I'm 23. lol, but when I was 19 and started to ride, I had that young kid attitude. "What could happen to me?" I also was pretty damn poor back then. Now that I dumped a bike (not the 919), and I make much more money, I want the protection
going out with friend: put jeans and your shoes in those bike bag you have and use them as needed. It shouldn't take you more than 1 min to change. If it does take more, practice changing lol.
Seriously, armored jeans that do offer any kind of protection will be still uncomfortable and look strange for just walking around. I can't see how how any regular jeans will be any cooler for hot weather that good pair of warm weather riding pants.
I have a pair of these pants (see link) and it feels like you riding in freaking shorts. Need to change, they go in my bag along with S-MX R boots

Teknic Supervent Textile Pants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

post #38 of 41 Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Just ordered the new Teknic Violator jeans. Knox armor, and hip pads. Figured it was time to upgrade from my jeans + knee/shin guards.

post #39 of 41 Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Tirone

Has anyone tried these Alpinestars Axiom Denim Pants?

post #40 of 41 Old 07-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Ginger-prick

These are on sale:

BILT IRON WORKERS Street Gear - Steel Motorcycle Jeans - Cycle Gear

2007 Honda 919.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode