Arai vs Shoei - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Arai vs Shoei

My last 2 helmets were Arais. The first one, built in 00 held up pretty well. The 05 has just fallen apart. I've replaced the chin vent, glued the new one in place. I guess I didn't use enough glue. The new vent went AWOL also. Changing visors is a PITA. The molding around the visor hinge is stress fracturing. If you put my old Arai on and then put my "new" one on, you'd swear they're different sizes. Both are marked Large. Geeze, you would expect better from a supposed premium mfgr. I think they ought to be quieter. I wear plugs every time.

Are the new Arais any better?

How are the new Shoeis?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

My RF-1000 is rock solid. Standard noise, visor has very strong notches and will hold open at any position. Not one single thing has ever failed on it. It was replaced by the RF-1100 of which I have not a lick of experience

I also wear an AGV Stealth. Pretty good quality although the visor clicks aren't as sure-stop as the Shoei.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #3 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Bacon-powered

I've been using a Shoei rf-1000 for several years. I loved it but it started looking and feeling old so I replaced it with a scorpion. I kind of regret it now. The Shoei was very well constructed and didn't make any strange noises. The scorpion with all its moving parts makes a lot of creaking and clicking noises right in my ear when I ride. I am considering going back to Shoei. They've always fit me well and worked well. One complaint about the Shoei; the visor lift tab is too small.

Can't speak to the quality of Arais. They've never fit my head right, so I never bought one.

Preschool - Kawasaki 100 enduro
Grade School - Honda CB 125
High School - Honda 400 Hawk
College - Honda VT500 Ascot
Real life - Honda 919

post #4 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Di"zx"en

Love them both. The Arai whistles in different ways than my Shoei's do.
I'll also take the replacing the shield on the Shoei any day over the Arai. They can both be done in a matter of seconds but with the Arai,its a puckering expierience thinking you are gonna brake the side pods off.
Arai has gotten so expensive that I've refused to buy them. Last new Arai was 2005. $700-800 for a lid is a little out of line. They are super nice but........

That'll work........
post #5 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I started with Shoei and always had a pressure spot in the center of my forehead. Changed to an Arai Signet and then an RX-7 Corsair and they fit great. I don't think the quality control is there with Arai like it used to be and yes, the shield change is an absolute pain in the ass.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #6 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 AM
McTavish

I bought a non current RF900 in 05 when I bought the 919. I must have tried on 30 helmets. The RF900 fit my head like none of others did. I want it to last forever, but know it won't. It doesn't see much sun, and we don't have an ozone problem here, so I'm hoping the stuff that matters will take longer to degrade and let me use it longer.

post #7 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Discen

I wear an Arai Vector, pretty much has spoiled me for any thing else... but it does have a few downsides, you would think that a premium helmet would have a removable liner, and the shield removal is a PITA until you get the hang of it, no problem now. One area that the Arai has no rivals is how the pads line up inside so that one can wear sunglasses/eyeglasses with ease. The other high end helmets also tend to press my forehead, I forget that I''m wearing my Arai. It seems that it could vent better, but then again, i always have Kewpie hair when I take it off, so I guess it's doing better than I realize at moving air...

post #8 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Di"zx"en

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I bought a non current RF900 in 05 when I bought the 919. I must have tried on 30 helmets. The RF900 fit my head like none of others did. I want it to last forever, but know it won't. It doesn't see much sun, and we don't have an ozone problem here, so I'm hoping the stuff that matters will take longer to degrade and let me use it longer.
I'm with you. I've got a Shoei Z-II that fits me better than almost any other helmet that I've owned. The last one that felt this good was my Shoei GX1.
Still have the old GX1 some where......

That'll work........
post #9 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Have you tried Suomy? Quite a good helmet IMO.

post #10 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I am done with Arai. After two overpriced piece of crap Corsair RX-7 helmets that continually lost vents, broke vents, cracked side plates, etc. I have moved on. The first one I bought was junk, and like an idiot I thought I'd try another because so many people love Arai it must just be a fluke right? Second one wasn't any better. If fact it was worse. They are nice helmets in the comfort, ventilation and noise aspects. Reliability sucks.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Pilus Posterior

Arai's fit me perfectly - had one years ago too.

HJC helmets fit me perfectly and I've had several and my current is a HJC.

Numerous other brands don't fit.

Presently looking for a new one - I'm going HJC again.

IMO and no doubt it will rattle a few here, the Arais are seriously overpriced and do not offer anything more for the $ compared with a top range HJC. There I said it.

What pisses me off is a NZ$450 HJC is only $200 in the states!

post #12 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
What pisses me off is a NZ$450 HJC is only $200 in the states!
So's a lot of things. At the end of it, I reckon there's only a handfull of guys that control all the major brands (not just motorcycles) in this little island nation and basically set their price at the highest margin that the market can bare. Reasonable pricing doesn't come into it.

Apologies for O/T.

I picked up my Suomy at run-out special of $NZ400, very glad I did. The visor stayed fog free for almost 2 years (this is almost everyday use in our wet climate), it also seals pretty good. Fit, finish and comfort pretty good.
It is a tad noisy though.

post #13 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Pilus Posterior

Pretty sure you are correct. Something is wrong when I can save $150 buying it from the states and paying for shipping too! That's a lot of fuel money for the 9er!

post #14 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Pretty sure you are correct. Something is wrong when I can save $150 buying it from the states and paying for shipping too! That's a lot of fuel money for the 9er!
Have a play on the Companies website:
HomePage | Companies Office The Official Site

post #15 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Princeps Prior

......if I were you, Id be starting a US export 'grey market' helmet business.......

Still have my shoei RF1000......damn thing won't die....

post #16 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Ballaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Have you tried Suomy? Quite a good helmet IMO.
+1 i love my suomy

post #17 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 06:25 PM
yzarc mi os

I've had to HJC's and now my shoei rf1000 I got mine on clearance for 20o worlds better than either of the hjc. My hjc would try to lift off my head over 70 mph and 90+ plus ment I couldn't breather the shoei doesn't try to lift if anything it has a little down force to if.

I've had the 919 well into the 130s and it doesn't have any shudder either. It's a lot quieter than the HJC's i had too.

My only complaint is the visors fog way to easy. with the cold coming might have to get some pin lock set ups. but they will fog at a light in high 70 degree weather coarse I fog up a full size pick up all by my self in just a minute or so.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I love my shoei, it feels lighter/less noticeable than my scorpion, which made me feel like I had a space helmet on. I have never owned an Arai but I have tried them on and they don't fit my head as well as the shoei rf1000.

post #19 of 24 Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Pilus Posterior

Had my HJC up to 230 kms (indicated) with no issues (under controlled closed roads you understand .........)

Holding on was another issue!

Shoei's don't fit my noggin.

post #20 of 24 Old 11-02-2010, 10:31 AM
jrj
Optio

First helmet I ever bought was a shoei. I wrecked wearing it (caused a silver dollar sized rash that burne past the paint into the shell) and promptly ran to cycle gear and popped for another just like it (rf1000). I won't go for any other brand now. Too damn comfy and user friendly.

post #21 of 24 Old 11-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Tirone

I replaced my Shoei RF1000 with a new RF1100 after a recent crash. The front vent covers protrude out from the shell and are easily ripped off. I have lost the vent cover and had it replaced. The new design is not as durable or comfortable as the previous one. I felt that Helmet House provided very poor service on the repair and I was responsible for the shipping costs. I will buy no product brand in the future that is provided through Helmet House

I bought a Scorpion and I am ok with it but the visor isn't completely fog proof as advertised. Also I really miss the small indent on the Shoei that lets you ride with the face shield slightly cracked. I scratched the Scorpion helmet up a bit in a low side crash a few weeks back. The Scorpion helmet did the job.

I'm through with buying expensive helmets. For the time being, I'm going to use my old HJC helmet. I bought it on clearance and it is comfortable and as I do not do track days, it will serve me well enough.

post #22 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Thor

I have an RF1000 as well. It fits great and very little wind noise at high speeds. It also stays put quite well. My old helmet used to want to rip my head off at anything over 120. Like banjoman states the new one is the RF1100. Here is a review of it for you to check out.
Shoei RF1100 Helmet Review

post #23 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
Also I really miss the small indent on the Shoei that lets you ride with the face shield slightly cracked.
Not sure which Scorpion you had, but some models have a neat little lever on the left side that will do a positive-lock, cracked open on the visor.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #24 of 24 Old 11-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
My last 2 helmets were Arais. The first one, built in 00 held up pretty well. The 05 has just fallen apart. I've replaced the chin vent, glued the new one in place. I guess I didn't use enough glue. The new vent went AWOL also. Changing visors is a PITA. The molding around the visor hinge is stress fracturing. If you put my old Arai on and then put my "new" one on, you'd swear they're different sizes. Both are marked Large. Geeze, you would expect better from a supposed premium mfgr. I think they ought to be quieter. I wear plugs every time.
I haven't had any real issues with my Arais. As far as sizing, you do realize Arai makes helmets to fit 4 distinctly different head shapes, from "long oval" (a head that's much longer from front to back than side to side) to very round. So a large Profile (or Signet) will fit much differently than a large Quantum. Geeze, you might want to make sure you understand what's being sold.

FWIW, I don't think Arais are worth the exhorbidant pricing. Unfortunately, the long-oval Profile is the only helmet that really fits me perfectly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode