Arai Helmets - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 06-04-2006, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Arai Helmets

My Arai has the front strip by the neck coming loose (in the front under the mouth piece) . Really it just needs to be glued on. Someone told me that I can send the helmet back to Arai if it's under 5 years new and they will glue it on and fix anything else with the helmet.

Has anyone done this? How long did it take to get your helmet back? ( I do have a back up but my Arai is my fave since it is soo comfortable)

If you have an Arai, have you had that little strip come loose? I was told that is a problem with them after a period of time.

Riding is not what I do....it's who I am!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

One of my Arai's is away now. Dropped it off Tuesday to the dealer, who shipped it back. (Corsair) Bought it in '03, still under warranty. The middle top vent broke, the front chin vent is loose (broken), and both the side shields have crack areas forming where the visor pivots. They said they would probably just send a new one but wanted to see it first. Haven't gotten word that it is back yet. I haven't had the problem you describe. I own three Arai's and this is the only one I've ever had problems with.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 14 Old 06-04-2006, 12:59 PM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

My Quantum had the rubber strip in the front come loose. A little contact cement and its on there for good. If thats all thats the matter with it I would just glue it yourself, rather than be helmetless for who knows how long.

Bubble Yum also works well...

post #4 of 14 Old 06-04-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

yep Quantum f is what I own..so maybe it's just on those particular models since HondaJim has faired quite well (hey hope you get the new helmet). I do have my HJC but it just feels so heavy compared to the Arai.

HondaJim--my front vent is loose and I think a little bit broken too. But mine has come from wear not dropping it.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-05-2006, 06:01 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I called up Arai about my Quantum that had the front trim come off. Shipped it out, they replaced front trim, breath gaurd & the little latch on sheild that had broken off. And I had shipped it out on a Saturday morning... back by Weds.

post #6 of 14 Old 06-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSixxy
HondaJim--my front vent is loose and I think a little bit broken too. But mine has come from wear not dropping it.
Yeah, mine wasn't dropped either. The tab on the right side that locks it in place is broken. The tab on the left side is still intact. You can pull on it and it will move out. Honda shop is closed on Mondays, so hopefully they will call me tomorrow and tell me it's back. (Or I have a nice new one).

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 14 Old 06-07-2006, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

I wrote Arai last night so I'll see what their response is.

HondaJim...did ya get the new lid??

post #8 of 14 Old 06-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

No word yet. I am going to call the dealer this morning and see what's up.

post #9 of 14 Old 06-07-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Wow they are quick, they wrote me back earlier today and said I need to call them as I will have to ship it out.

h ryder--how did you pack it so that it is safely and securely packed?

Geeze I feel like I am sending away a baby or something!! LOL

post #10 of 14 Old 06-07-2006, 11:35 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSixxy
Wow they are quick, they wrote me back earlier today and said I need to call them as I will have to ship it out.

h ryder--how did you pack it so that it is safely and securely packed?

Geeze I feel like I am sending away a baby or something!! LOL
Yes, they're quick...
I even called after 5, and the head girl called me back 2 mins later.

I had a box lying around that was same size as helmet, stuffed it w/ newspaper, wrapped it up & shipped it out.

post #11 of 14 Old 06-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder
I even called after 5, and the head girl called me back 2 mins later.
You meant to do that didn't you.

Just got my call. Helmet's back. They repaired it, and forgot/didn't replace the side shields that were cracking. Dealer is going to order them in and replace them. I don't guess I would call this great customer service.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-07-2006, 07:11 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I do believe one of their main stores is in Daytona but I can't be sure. If indeed your helmet is under 5 yrs old, they will returning to you almost new (sans the gashes you have put on it ).

post #13 of 14 Old 06-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Mine shipped to Illinois. Got it today. Like I said they forgot/didn't replace the side shields, which was the main reason I sent it in. They did fix the two broken vents.

Also, my box contained a nice little pre-typed note, something to the effect of:
Simple Green, 409, and most polish and waxes are known to make Arai painted plastic parts brittle since they contain some form of petroluem distillates. This causes the plastic to dry out and break.
The work order, which was also included, had the techs note that the side pods had "polish under them".
I use Honda spray. Funny, it doesn't seem to make the painted plastic parts on my Hondas brittle and break.

Whatever. The dealer ordered new side pods and will change them under warranty. I now expect my 88 Hurricane to completely fall apart.

post #14 of 14 Old 10-22-2006, 02:13 AM

From www.arai.com click north america and then important news:

ARAI LAUNCHES VOLUNTARY EFFORT
TO CORRECT HELMETS
WITH LOOSE TRIM-STRIPS

Also Extends Affected-Helmet Warranties To Make
"All Arai Customers Satisfied"

(Bethlehem, PA) Arai Helmets has announced a voluntary program to repair those helmets that have experienced a loosening of the flexible trim strip around the helmet's lower perimeter. (The loosening was traced to a limited number of helmets in a production run some time ago, and has since been corrected.)

Arai will also extend its standard five-year warranty by an additional two years to give all affected consumers time to respond and be covered. "We want to accommodate everybody and make all our customers happy," said Brian M. Weston, Director of Operations. "Our first priority is to get the strips re-fastened and returned as quickly as possible, and to allow the extra warranty time for everyone to respond."

As an added customers courtesy and to encourage the immediate return of the affected helmets, Arai is offering a limited "Pre-Paid Return" offer for all helmets returned on or before September 29, 2006. Arai has made special arrangements with "The UPS Stores®" to pack and ship helmets at no charge through 09/29/06. Helmets shipped on or after October 2, 2006 would revert to the normal warranty program procedures.

For full details, affected consumers should go to www.araiamericas.com/qcs_query_tech.html to register helmets for repair and begin the process. This address is for Lower Trim Strip repairs only. All other warranty inquiries must use the normal warranty channels.

SPECIAL NOTICE:

Customers are strongly urged not to attempt to make the repair themselves!

Although it may seem simple enough, there is no way to know how the adhesive you use may affect the helmet material, paint, decals, or the trim strips and bond.

We have received some helmets on which self-repair had been attempted. In a number of these cases the adhesive and/or application of it caused irreversible damage to the helmet's finish that Arai personnel, working extra hard and long to correct the marring, could not erase all traces of it.

As we said above, the problem has been identified and solved, and we have the proper adhesive on hand to make an "invisible" repair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode