Anyone got Icon Automag overpants? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 10-01-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
I WANNA RIDE!

Question Anyone got Icon Automag overpants?

Anyone got the Icon Automag overpants?
If so, what are your thoughts.

I'm looking for something to provide a little protection as well as some added warmth on cooler days. I like the idea of overpants and chaps just don't seem like the right thing unless I want to moolight at the local strip club!! LOL!
Thanks.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-01-2009, 02:39 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I've had horrible luck with ICON, the quality is pathetic.

post #3 of 16 Old 10-01-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
I WANNA RIDE!

Sorry you've had the bad luck with them. I've been happy with my Icon stuff.
I've have mesh, textile & leather jackets from them, two helmets, three pairs of gloves & a pair of boots and had no complaints.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-01-2009, 06:09 PM
h8tenhogs

love my icon gloves perfect fit.

post #5 of 16 Old 10-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Tirone

I'd love to hear the answer as well. I'm in need of some overpants for protection. I would like them to have CE Armor, be waterproof and have a removable liner for warmth...any ideas?

post #6 of 16 Old 10-02-2009, 07:33 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
I'd love to hear the answer as well. I'm in need of some overpants for protection. I would like them to have CE Armor, be waterproof and have a removable liner for warmth...any ideas?
I just ordered these: Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 Pants - Street Bike - Men's Riding Gear - Motorcycle Superstore

I'll pair them with my 3/4 length waterproof Joe Rocket jacket, will make nice long distance touring and cold weather gear. Just got my Forma waterproof touring boots, need some midweight goretex gloves now and I'll be set.

Several other options available for waterproof textile pants, just take a look through that website.

post #7 of 16 Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 AM
GitrFixdUp

Very Happy

I've got the Icon Automag leather pants, and the Icon Daytona leather jacket...

had the zipper sewn into the jacket so they keep nicely together at the back... if you were to do a slide on your front, they could come down exposing your belly and tools, so slide feet first. I also had to have a little of the length removed, and had some velcro added to assist with the closure on the waist, since it isn't the most secure closure.

I'm very happy with them, great for group rides where you may put yourself in harm, the knee cup seems a little low when standing, but I managed to reposition it on the velcro. I feel confident on the bike with them, and don't overly appear out of place if I have some errands to run and keep them on. They appear much more manly than the leather pants of the 80's you may be familiar with

My purpose of them was NOT to use them as overpants, I ride with them as pants. I find them warm enough to ride through mountain passes at near zero celcius, yet they have vented sorta articulating knees, and expandable inner gusset so if I'm really hot I can kinda spread my legs to let some moving air circulate if you know what I mean.

Overall I'm very happy with them, however, I use some shift riding pants for running around town on short trips.

post #8 of 16 Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I just ordered these: Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 Pants - Street Bike - Men's Riding Gear - Motorcycle Superstore

I'll pair them with my 3/4 length waterproof Joe Rocket jacket, will make nice long distance touring and cold weather gear. Just got my Forma waterproof touring boots, need some midweight goretex gloves now and I'll be set.

Several other options available for waterproof textile pants, just take a look through that website.
Thanks, I'm checking it out now.

post #9 of 16 Old 10-02-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
I WANNA RIDE!

Thanks for the info rgweist & sbeau.

post #10 of 16 Old 10-02-2009, 05:31 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I guess what ticked me off initially what the TiMax gloves, when they first came out, I had to have a pair, and I ordered them immediately - I'd never spend that much on a pair of gloves before, and the Mad Max look rocked - looks were one thing....

They started falling apart, they were built so poorly. And when I approached the dealer and the middleman, I was told tough luck, no warranty. I took pictures and sent them to icon, told the same thing. I guess if they were not really meant to be worn and used, they would last a long time, doh!

The I had to have a Mainstream or whatever is was called helmet, in that flat black that nearly matched the 919 at the time.

The first one came in, did not fit right, too tight, ordered the largest size and it still was tight - my head is not that big. That helmet sucked, totally uncomfortable, not, admittedly, I had been wearing (and still do) a Shoei, maybe I was spoiled, but that helmet was yet another POS from ICON and I gave it away.

The tank bag, I kind of liked it, turned into a backpack and a helmet holder and this and that, but functionally it was not that good, built by the marketing people no by anyone who would really use it, or so it seemed.

Sold it, at least I go some of my money back on that one.

I dunno, once bitten, twice shy, I let ICON get me three times, but you know, I still have one of their posters in my van.

They do make good posters.

post #11 of 16 Old 10-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Canyon Junkie

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I own the olympia pants/jacket that are the touring type, my pants are silver with reflective strips on them for night riding, the jacket is the high-vis yellow. i love this combo, as it has vents in the jacket, the pants are mesh in the thighs to keep you cool in the summer, but both the jacket and pants come with an insulated liner that is wind and water proof. very warm in the winter, worked great riding to sturgis this year--40 degrees out with some rain, was warm the whole way. On the way back it was 95, liners were out, vents open, warm but not hot. Pants come in black too, if you want. Air glide 2 if I remember correctly. Olympiamotosports.com i think. Good stuff.

Are we having fun yet?
post #12 of 16 Old 10-03-2009, 05:45 AM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJM View Post
I guess what ticked me off initially what the TiMax gloves, when they first came out, I had to have a pair, and I ordered them immediately - I'd never spend that much on a pair of gloves before, and the Mad Max look rocked - looks were one thing....

They started falling apart, they were built so poorly. And when I approached the dealer and the middleman, I was told tough luck, no warranty. I took pictures and sent them to icon, told the same thing. I guess if they were not really meant to be worn and used, they would last a long time, doh!
I bought a pair of Alpinestars gloves that did the same thing to me. Put them on, went on a little ride (maybe 150 miles) to test them out. Got back thinking "okay, these are all right I guess." Went to pull them off and noticed the left glove was literally coming apart at the seams. You know, you pay 75 bucks for the fancy gloves, you get 150 miles out of them, you pay 30-45 for the "cheapies" and you put 10,000 miles on them. My best gloves ever were from AGV and I got them free with a helmet. Didn't need to replace those, but my brother needed some gloves one day and ended up "borrowing" them more and more often.

post #13 of 16 Old 11-07-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
I WANNA RIDE!

I bought the Icon Automag overpants and I really like them. I've been riding with them about two weeks and they are very comfortable. Easy to get on and off. They fit well. The only down sides I see are the "belt" that doesn't really tighten very well. It is a nylon strap with a cam type "buckle". I seem to be constantly pulling them up. They are comfortable to walk around in though. I bought a size 34 to wear over my jeans and they are a trim to fit length. My inseam is a 32 and these things were VERY long. They have three snaps at the bottom after the zipper ends and I had to cut them to length above the first snap. I left about 1 inch after the zipper and put my own snap at the bottom. So if you are a 34 waist x 32 length like me they will be very long. It also would have been nice if they had their own pockets or slits in them so you can get into your jeans pockets. Other than that I am very happy with them.

post #14 of 16 Old 11-07-2009, 03:39 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Thanks for the write-up, gary. I looked at those to go with my automag jacket but the leg zippers seemed a bit ghei for my taste. I'll probably go with the Joe Rocket pro streets. If Veloce doesn't make their own leather pants yet.

post #15 of 16 Old 11-07-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
I WANNA RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
I'll probably go with the Joe Rocket pro streets.
Those look nice too. I needed something I could wear while riding to places I had to go like work so the overpants were kind of a necessity. It just wouldn't look right wearing leather pants at work all day unless I was a male stripper! LOL!!

post #16 of 16 Old 11-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Sike

I have the Fieldsheer overpants and I like them. They keep my legs warm down into the low thirties with the liner in, high thirties/low forties with the liner out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode