Anyone ever replace the padding in their jacket? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 02-09-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Anyone ever replace the padding in their jacket?

I have two jackets, Joe Rocket and Icon. Both have the forearm foam rubber and they have both fallen apart. The jackets are fine, just need to replace the foam rubber.

Is there a foam rubber you can make or can you get universal padding? Where would you go to buy a block of foam rubber?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-09-2018, 03:11 PM
919 Rider

Could you buy one of those foam armour back inserts of ebay and cut that up?

post #3 of 19 Old 02-10-2018, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Could you buy one of those foam armour back inserts of ebay and cut that up?
I'm seeing those on eBay and Amazon. Strange that both jackets are great except the forearm foam. Didn't know it would break apart so easy like that.

post #4 of 19 Old 02-10-2018, 02:09 PM
919 Rider

Are they elbow inserts? or are they forearm inserts? I see plenty of elbow inserts on ebay.

post #5 of 19 Old 02-11-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Are they elbow inserts? or are they forearm inserts? I see plenty of elbow inserts on ebay.
They seem more forearm than elbow. Maybe because that's what you're most likely to break if you fall. The foam seems to be about 1" thick and curved to cover the area you'd likely fall on.

I was kinda blown away that these jackets would fall apart like that. Seems that once they reach a certain age, they are no longer safe, yet we don't have any date codes on the jackets. You could be ordering one from a store that's several years old and not know the foam is falling apart inside or has a shortened usable life.

post #6 of 19 Old 02-11-2018, 05:12 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Are the pads removable or are they stitched in?

post #7 of 19 Old 02-11-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Are the pads removable or are they stitched in?
I haven't been able to see where they were removable, but they do move around now that they are breaking up. I'm guessing they sit inside of a pocket and I'll probably have to cut it open and replace them.

I'm really blown away that they fall apart like this, yet the jacket looks like it's nearly new.

Makes me wonder about all the used jackets out there. Without any date code, how would we know how safe they are?

post #8 of 19 Old 02-11-2018, 01:26 PM
919 Rider

Both my jackets have removable liners and armour. Once you take out the liner the elbow pads, shoulder pads and back pad are all removable. They sit in their own pocket which is velcro shut. I'm sure you could buy a pair of elbow pads from eBay and replace those broken pads. Bet they broke cause there is a lot of flex there at that joint.

post #9 of 19 Old 02-11-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Both my jackets have removable liners and armour. Once you take out the liner the elbow pads, shoulder pads and back pad are all removable. They sit in their own pocket which is velcro shut. I'm sure you could buy a pair of elbow pads from eBay and replace those broken pads. Bet they broke cause there is a lot of flex there at that joint.
This is my 2nd jacket. One is a Joe Rocket and this is the Icon. I haven't used the Joe Rocket in 5 years and it was only 3 years old at that time. They both have forearm pads, so they don't really hit the elbow, it's like the edge of the elbow to 2/3's to the wrist. There really isn't any flex.

They really just started crumbling apart. It's not an actual wear point even when you move your arms.

It's kinda like you left some foam out in the sun for years and it just falls apart.

I can't be the only one that has had this happen to.

I'm wondering if they make them a special way that make it so they don't last long.

post #10 of 19 Old 02-11-2018, 04:06 PM
919 Rider

An impact crumble zone!

post #11 of 19 Old 02-11-2018, 04:08 PM
919 Rider

Sounds like a fault with that foam.

post #12 of 19 Old 02-12-2018, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

I'm not sure if it's a defect or not because both jackets did this. I was surprised to take out the Joe Rocket and see the foam falling apart. I know that UV can break things down, but I have exercise equipment with foam rubber that's lasted a LOT longer than these jackets.

Maybe they just expect people to throw things out every few years.

post #13 of 19 Old 02-12-2018, 04:37 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Have you tried calling the manufacturer?

post #14 of 19 Old 02-12-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Have you tried calling the manufacturer?
I haven't, I probably should, I'm getting tired of all the 2nd rate crap I'm getting.

EDIT: just sent them an email. Maybe they'll send me some foam rubber inserts for free, it can't cost them 1/3 what it would cost me to buy them retail.

Kinda surprised nobody else has had this happen. I only have 2 jackets and it's happened to both.

post #15 of 19 Old 02-12-2018, 03:59 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Have you washed them? If so, what kind of cleaner/soap did you use?

post #16 of 19 Old 02-12-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Have you washed them? If so, what kind of cleaner/soap did you use?
Never did get around to washing them. I wanted to, but never got around to it.

post #17 of 19 Old 02-13-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Well that didn't add up to much

Here's the response from Icon:

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for the disintegrating armor! We now offer a protective product called D3O.

The reasoning behind switching from the foam protective padding to the D3O is, to put it simply, D3O can offer higher protection and sustain longer. With every production run, we try our best to perfect our gear in every way possible. All of your old foam protection can be replaced by the D3O offered at our website link below:

Icon Motosports - Ride Among Us

We hope you find this information to be helpful. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Have a great day and thank you for riding with ICON!

Best regards,

--------
Kinda odd that they seem to know there's a problem. I understand that things wear out, but the jacket is in really great condition and these have had no exposure to anything. No telling how effective they would be in the condition over the years, but there is really no warning on this.

If I didn't feel it and think this is strange, I wouldn't have known. When I put my arm in, it kinda gets in the way and you wiggle your arm around a bit to work past it. I noticed that it was bunching up and blocking me, that's when I noticed it was in pieces.

Pretty clearly a safety issue and passing it on to a sales pitch isn't to comforting.

I guess it's kinda like a helmet. My last helmet was pretty beat as the insides just wore out.

Anyways, they have them for $25 a pair, I hope the new design is better than the last. There is an access port in the arm to replace these.

post #18 of 19 Old 02-13-2018, 05:45 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

I would go back at them and ask for a replacement set for free. Send pics of the jacket, assuming it's in very good condition, and state you are extremely disappointed in the longevity of the foam, noting it appears they are aware of the degradation issue by changing the material. I'd bet, if you're willing to go back & forth, you;ll get a free replacement set....

post #19 of 19 Old 02-14-2018, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
I would go back at them and ask for a replacement set for free. Send pics of the jacket, assuming it's in very good condition, and state you are extremely disappointed in the longevity of the foam, noting it appears they are aware of the degradation issue by changing the material. I'd bet, if you're willing to go back & forth, you;ll get a free replacement set....
I'm kinda surprised by how they handled this. I was at Cycle Gear years ago and the pants I was buying didn't have hip pads, they guy just reached into a bin a gave me some.

These retail for $25, so it costs them maybe $10 or less and they send me to retail.

I think if they wanted to do a good customer service job, they would have. The fact that they no longer offer the standard foam, should indicate that they found a problem.

Not a good PR move on their part. Their rep should be everything to them.

I'm surprised that nobody else has had the same problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode