Anybody have Kevlar Jeans? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 06-26-2008, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Anybody have Kevlar Jeans?

Curious about trying out some for summer riding when the riding pants are just too hot. Have looked at several brands, just wondering if anyone has an experience with them?

http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm/cid/1001002/pid/9096

or

http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm/cid/1001002/pid/18832

These have leather panels and knee armor

http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm/cid/1001002/pid/15501

or

http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm/cid/1001002/pid/18074

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Check out the Bohn Airmesh pants. They offer great crash protection (personally tested), have no heat factor and they allow you to wear any pair of pants.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #3 of 26 Old 06-26-2008, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfilet300 View Post
Check out the Bohn Airmesh pants. They offer great crash protection (personally tested), have no heat factor and they allow you to wear any pair of pants.
I have a pair of First Gear mesh pants that I can wear jeans under, just looking for a lighter alternative that still offers some crash protection over plain Levis.

Just to clarify my question, I know in a perfect world everyone should always wear all their gear, all the time, and ideally I'd wear full leathers every day. In reality I frequently ride in jeans, as I'm sure do many others do, and am wondering if anyone has experience with these armored jeans.

post #4 of 26 Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I wear mine everyday because I commute to the office. When I get in I dip into the bathroom and slip'em off. Not to sound too neurotic but I've actually timed how long this takes. I'm in and out in less then 30 seconds. So where am I going with this? With the Bohns you can wear any regular weight and cooler jeans you have plus get better protection then the double layer kevlar denim. Plus in the long run they are less expensive because I can wear them under anything as opposed to not riding because my Draggin's are in the wash.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Yeah, I love my mesh pants, they are great for wearing to the office, long highway rides and cooler weather. There are times when we're just going for an afternoon Sunday ride on a hot day though that mesh pants are a pain and instead of just wearing jeans and taking my chances I'd rather have a one layer pant that offers some protection advantages over plain denim jeans.

post #6 of 26 Old 06-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Ive just been won over by my new mesh Firstgear pants , rode to VIR last week in them, very handy ! I had on shorts under them and when I got to the track, a quick zip and Im ready to wonder around ! - I Love them , and wish I had gotten some of them earlier ! - Il lbe watching to see what you get in the way of Jeans -

post #7 of 26 Old 06-26-2008, 11:41 AM

i have a pair of Icon kevlar jeans
they use really heavy denim and have kevlar panels in teh butt and knee areas

i feel safe from rash/burn but not from impact

i might pick up a pair of those jeans with the CE knee armor

i have a joe rocket alter ego overpant that i wear to work over a pair of slacks

post #8 of 26 Old 06-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_nj View Post
i have a pair of Icon kevlar jeans
they use really heavy denim and have kevlar panels in teh butt and knee areas

i feel safe from rash/burn but not from impact
I have the same to report from the draggin jeans.
in 90 deg weather they're friggin hot

post #9 of 26 Old 06-26-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the input guys, I might order up a couple of different brands and see what fits and feels the best. I'll post a report after I check them out.

post #10 of 26 Old 06-26-2008, 03:01 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I have a pair of Draggin' jeans and they're just as hot as regular jeans.
Can you say Monkey Butt?! LOL!

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #11 of 26 Old 06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Tirone is the Cool Dude

I have a pair of draggin kevlar jeans under which i wear the bohn airmesh armor. (I also have a pair of Coretech denims which have leather/mesh reinforcements) The pants seem ok up to just under 90 but where I get hot/sweaty is under the armor pads in the bohn. Standing up a bit on the pegs usually alleviates the "monkey butt" from the pants. I hate the heat but, having had a road-burn on my forearm from rolling my '63 VW ragtop with the top down, I hate the pain of *that* even more.

post #12 of 26 Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Tirone

Your butt sweats twice as much sitting on kevlar in the Draggin jeans. I think they are much hotter than standard Levis.

I just moved to the Olympia Air II mesh pants. Just remove the liner and wear the mesh pants over your shorts, slacks, jeans, etc. They have a full zipper down the side so they are very easy to put on or take off over your "regular" clothes.

If you have mesh pants already, I don't think that you'll find kevlar jeans to be any cooler (temperature wise that is).

'09 FJR; '07 919
post #13 of 26 Old 07-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

If you go down the kevlar will prevent rash, but if you slide it gets hot enough to burn your skin big time.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #14 of 26 Old 07-18-2008, 03:01 AM
Al

I bought some Draggin Jeans and love them. Even in the middle of winter (which is now for us), I wear a pair of thermal Long Johns under them and that keeps me cool to warm but we seldom get near zero deg C here. In summer they get warm but what do you expect. In summer, anything gets warm. At least a bit of air can get through them, unlike leather. I have multitudes of gear,, 5 leather jackets, 3 leather pants, a one piece leather suit, a Cordura suit, 2 Draggin jeans. My favourite outfit summer or winter is a leather jacket and Draggin jeans. If it's real cold I wear something thermal underneath jacket and jeans, if its warm I simply wear a tee shirt to catch the sweat, a leather jacket and the jeans.

The Draggin jeans are a little heavy beacuse they are thick with the kevlar but are free to move around in whereas leather can be restictive. I do not know how protective they are when sliding down the road. Don't want to find out either.

If you can afford a pair or two, go for it, they are a reasonably good buy...

post #15 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 03:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

So, Beau. What'd ya buy. I'm looking into pants these days but none offer the same protection ans the Bohn system does. I would hope a Bohn set and maybe some sliders pants would be a good combo offering decent impact protection as well as slideability. I worry about the tumble factor in my ICON denims.

post #16 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

sbeau, my tight buns show the best in my "True Religion" jeans with a nice "Robert Graham" shirt ...

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #17 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
So, Beau. What'd ya buy. I'm looking into pants these days but none offer the same protection ans the Bohn system does. I would hope a Bohn set and maybe some sliders pants would be a good combo offering decent impact protection as well as slideability. I worry about the tumble factor in my ICON denims.
I never did order any new pants, still using my First Gear mesh overpants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
sbeau, my tight buns show the best in my "True Religion" jeans with a nice "Robert Graham" shirt ...
TMI!

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #18 of 26 Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I have a pair of Joe Rocket pants with armor in the knees and pads in the hips. During cool weather and when going to the office, I just slide them over my pants. In warm weather, I just wear the Joe Rocket pants. They are much cooler than jeans. My only real problem is that I should have gotten then 34 - 36 talls. I think they have a stretchy 34 - 36 waist, but only a 32 inseam. When you sit on the bike they ride up almost over the top of my boots.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #19 of 26 Old 04-24-2009, 06:03 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Versatility and fordability ! Who could ask for more!

post #20 of 26 Old 04-24-2009, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

I want leather pants.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #21 of 26 Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Is disco back in?

post #22 of 26 Old 04-24-2009, 07:00 AM

I have these Bohn Armor pants:

http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/pro....php?prod=BGLC

I wear them under Icon Anthem or Icon Barrier jeans (both are kevlar). I had the Teknic Rage pants, but I felt like one of those goofy teens with the retardedly baggy jeans, so I sold them and bought the Icons. I was looking at buying Diamond Gusset jeans as well since they are completely American made (don't get me started on the politics of Levi's). They make kevlar jeans as well.

For whateve reason, the Teknic jeans were considerably hotter than my Icon Anthems, yet the Anthems appear to be heavier in weight.

post #23 of 26 Old 04-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I want leather pants.
as long as its not a$$less chaps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
Is disco back in?
NO!!!

post #24 of 26 Old 06-20-2009, 12:18 AM
'evening Bruce

Got a couple of pairs of Draggin cargoes that are very comfortable in most weather. Have come off wearing them and they did what I wanted them too, not that I was keen on trying them out. Much rather wearing them than just regular jeans. In any off, there's no guarantee how you'll come out of it, but surely something with protection in a slide is better than nothing.

Keen on getting leathers though as it does sometimes play on the back of my mind, and also for any further courses I'm interested in, they are a requirement.

post #25 of 26 Old 06-28-2009, 03:40 AM
'evening Bruce

After a second incident for myself, they've done their job again. Will need to be replaced as when I came off last week, went for a slide with the material around the left knee coming apart and the kevlar now exposed. A bit of skin off the knee from "kevlar burn" is the only damage to myself. My leather jacket now comes with cool scrapes along the left arm.

If you do ride in jeans, at the very least look into those with kevlar lining. Not as robust as leather but will give your legs a much greater chance in a slide than regular jeans.

Hope you all never have to test them.

post #26 of 26 Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 AM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode