Any Scorpion Helmet Owners Out There? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 09-12-2006, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Any Scorpion Helmet Owners Out There?

Hey everyone. I'm looking to pick up a new helmet and the Scorpion exo-700 has become one of my choices. So I went and tried it on at this local shop. The XL was the most comfortable size, but it seemed that once it got broke in it may become just a little to lose. So I then tried the L. It was nice and snug, but the cheek pads seemed a little too tight and made the fit of the helmet uncomfortable around my mouth. I guess I'm just wondering if that problem would let up a little once I broke it in because I don't thing I could put up with that for long.

Aaron

And if anyone knows of a cheap place to pick one of these up that'd be a great help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

/me raises hand

Yeah, that EX-700 is a great lid for the price. I had the Fury model and liked it a lot. The venting is excellent, but it's pretty noisy due to the great venting. It's light, just a few ounces heavier than my RF-1000. The wicking system works very well. The anti-fog system is the best I've ever tried. The shield system is a little tough to get use to, and I was never able to do it one handed like they advertise.

While I had it, I did have a top vent come loose that caused a rattling noise about 50 MPH. I called Scorpion and had an RMA and a new replacement helmet within one week. Great customer service.

Last thing - I also ordered an XL. After it broke in, I realized I should have gone with the L. At first it felt tight, especially on my face, but broke in nicely and actually got too loose.

Overall I really liked the helmet and would put it on par with the HJC CL-15.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-12-2006, 08:04 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I have an EX-400. Great helmet. My dome ain't that big. Have a Med. The cheek pads were a little tight when I bought it too, but after it broke in. Perfect. My buddy has the 700. He got that leather (I think) piece that goes on the bottom. It covers that small gap between the bottom of the helmet and his chin. Said it really helps with noise reduction.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625

post #4 of 14 Old 09-12-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
I have an EX-400. Great helmet. My dome ain't that big. Have a Med. The cheek pads were a little tight when I bought it too, but after it broke in. Perfect. My buddy has the 700. He got that leather (I think) piece that goes on the bottom. It covers that small gap between the bottom of the helmet and his chin. Said it really helps with noise reduction.
I've got the EX-400 as well. Not a bad helmet for the price. I got the chin piece as well because the wind blew right up the front of my face all the time, and I almost lost a contact lens twice before I putting the chin piece in. Worth the 12 bucks in my opinion.

post #5 of 14 Old 09-12-2006, 08:41 PM

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
I've got the EX-400 as well. Not a bad helmet for the price. I got the chin piece as well because the wind blew right up the front of my face all the time, and I almost lost a contact lens twice before I putting the chin piece in. Worth the 12 bucks in my opinion.

I have yet to get one. Because I can't ride at the moment. Twice I had debris somehow get into the helmet then my eye (bad juju) when I was on the freeway. I ended up putting tape there cause I couldn't find a scorpion dealer in the area. I have to pick one up soon.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

post #6 of 14 Old 09-12-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
I have yet to get one. Because I can't ride at the moment. Twice I had debris somehow get into the helmet then my eye (bad juju) when I was on the freeway. I ended up putting tape there cause I couldn't find a scorpion dealer in the area. I have to pick one up soon.
I just ordered it off the website, sent to my store and put it in as soon as it got there.

post #7 of 14 Old 09-12-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll probably go with the L. I didn't even know there was a chin peice.

post #8 of 14 Old 09-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
/me raises hand

Yeah, that EX-700 is a great lid for the price. I had the Fury model and liked it a lot. The venting is excellent, but it's pretty noisy due to the great venting. It's light, just a few ounces heavier than my RF-1000. The wicking system works very well. The anti-fog system is the best I've ever tried. The shield system is a little tough to get use to, and I was never able to do it one handed like they advertise.

Overall I really liked the helmet and would put it on par with the HJC CL-15.
I could not have said it any better myself. I would rate it above anything in the HJC lineup. The only helmet that was as good as my Scorpion was my old Arai RX7-RR4. I have the Rivet model of the EXO-700, and It works better than expeted for the price point. I also bought the chin spoiler. It is a small piece of vinyl that inserts behind the liner to keep air (or in my case rain) from blowing under the chin. A very good investment.

post #9 of 14 Old 09-13-2006, 06:33 AM

Yup, pretty sure that's how all new helmets should fit; quite snug and initially squishes your cheeks a bit! I had an EXO-700 "Crackhead", imagine that. I had some problems with one of the visor knobs popping off, although it was due to dropping it with the visor open. I say "had" one, because I gave it a pretty good crash test at Barber. I smacked the back of my head really hard on the asphalt. The helmet did the job, I think... oh look, a kitty but certainly not useable anymore. I'd say they are an excellent value for the price.

post #10 of 14 Old 09-13-2006, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMercuryVII View Post
Hey everyone. I'm looking to pick up a new helmet and the Scorpion exo-700 has become one of my choices. So I went and tried it on at this local shop. The XL was the most comfortable size, but it seemed that once it got broke in it may become just a little to lose. So I then tried the L. It was nice and snug, but the cheek pads seemed a little too tight and made the fit of the helmet uncomfortable around my mouth. I guess I'm just wondering if that problem would let up a little once I broke it in because I don't thing I could put up with that for long.

Aaron

And if anyone knows of a cheap place to pick one of these up that'd be a great help.

I never would have bought one because of the price, than I won one in a drawing and its my favorite helmet EVER!
The lining breaks in less than other brands, and I have chimpmunk cheeks so it pushes on them pretty hard, but I got used to it and it doesnt bother or distract me anymore

post #11 of 14 Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Living the dream

Helmet should push the cheeks some. SOme refer to it as pucker factor. Look at some of the racers. A lot of cheek pucker.

post #12 of 14 Old 09-13-2006, 07:34 PM

Garage

Awards Showcase

Makes it easier to kiss the ladies. Alright alright.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #13 of 14 Old 09-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Mc 9er

i have the 400 grey tribel in large,it hugs my cheeks a bit but not in an uncomfortable way,and honstly,i don't hear much wind noise especially compared to that hjc i had.

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #14 of 14 Old 09-25-2006, 12:00 AM

i just bought me a EXO-700 Rivet Red yesterday. the color goes great with my red '06 919. Medium fits my noggin nice and snug. also picked up a chin piece, after reading this thread. thanks for the suggestion.

POSITIVES
* the rear spoiler definitely improves stability at high speeds.
* ventilation is great
* light weight. lighter than my HJC CL-14

NEGATIVES
* the ventilation system creates a whistling sound even at regular suburban traffic speeds.
* it's fairly noisy. i can't hear my engine above 40mph or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode