Anti-fog strategies - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 01-14-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Left of Centre

Anti-fog strategies

I bought a new helmet which fits a lot more snugly around my chin and cheeks, and I found I was having misting issues, even in the summer, so Itried a couple of things which I thought I could share, especially since it's winter for you northern dwellers.

The 1st was the Rain-X product which comes in the black bottle, the product designed for use on the interior of auto glass - it worked very effectively, and I'll continue with it.

The other strategy was to buy a visor insert, the type that creates a double-layered space on the visor. This double-glazing effect prevents misting, and it seems to be working really well. I've had experience with these before, and although we aren't in the depths of our winter, I have to say I'm impressed so far.

The brand I ended up with is an Italian one called Raleri. I found it here:

Raleri LightShade Anti-Fog visor insert/Clear | eBay

It was by far the cheapest option, for those of us stuck in a very non-competitive and small marketplace, and seems to be working out well. Free shipping, prompt delivery, genuine article from Italy, all good.

As a side note, the helmet vendor offered me the same kind of product made by Pinlock, using a peg-assisted mounting system already fitted to the visor. Local counter price - NZ$75 (=US$60 approx). Price for the same item in the UK - 16 (=US$24). Yee-ouch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-15-2012, 07:11 AM
hooligan on the 919

Thanks for recommending the rainX, i've thought before about using it but was hesitant to try it.
I had the pinlock system on my shoei rf1000 and must say that it worked so well i'm having a hard time trusting that anything else could keep a shield fog-free! that being said, i did not like how the size difference between the viewport of the helmet and the insert would result in odd distortion spots and blazing sunlight around the tinted pinlock insert. I've heard that the system on the rf1100 is better in that regard, but still a consideration.

post #3 of 21 Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Left of Centre

It seems with both interior and exterior Rain-X products that the application is crucial - put it on and wipe around, and then buff and buff and buff until all traces are gone, and then it'll be about right.

I struggled to get that right on large surfaces like car windscreens, but it's the only way.

post #4 of 21 Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I just smear some dish soap on the inside of my visor and eyeglasses, and then buff it with a microfiber towel. Using this method you're usually set against fog for about 2-4 days between applications. If your in a pinch while on the road, spit works well in the short term.

post #5 of 21 Old 01-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Le So Cal Troll

parkers perfect anti fog.... look it up... they make individual wipes for cheap and you would not believe how well they work.

post #6 of 21 Old 01-15-2012, 12:39 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
It seems with both interior and exterior Rain-X products that the application is crucial - put it on and wipe around, and then buff and buff and buff until all traces are gone, and then it'll be about right.

I struggled to get that right on large surfaces like car windscreens, but it's the only way.
You'd be amazed as to how much easier it is to scrape off ice and frost off car glass treated with RainX. (by the same token, the absolute worst is a freshly washed car or just cleaned glass, the ice absolutely fuses on ! )
I deliberately overdose all the glass panels except for the windshield just before winter.
The only real pain is the windshield. Too much causes some visual distortions under certain conditions, and the alcohol in the windshield antifreeze dissolves it away over time. One needs to do a few correct amount coatings through the winter.

post #7 of 21 Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Tirone

I use a bit of shampoo. Hold up well playing ice hockey holds up well in sydney weather

post #8 of 21 Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

copy/pasty from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
If you wear Rx specs, you will probably need to get anti-fog lenses. Otherwise, the best cold weather combination I have found is the Schampa Chinguard worn covering the mouth but not the nose and a Respro Foggy mask in the helmet. This allows my breath to escape past the chin bar. I never have to worry about shield fogging other than that caused by physical exertion off the bike.
Just get the Respro Foggy and leave it in your helmet year round and forget about shield fogging.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Le So Cal Troll

^ why would you EVER ride in weather like that!

post #10 of 21 Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
^ why would you EVER ride in weather like that!
Cuz he's a MAN and doesn't hide in SoCal.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #11 of 21 Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

post #12 of 21 Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
copy/pasty from another thread:

Just get the Respro Foggy and leave it in your helmet year round and forget about shield fogging.
I have had rime ice form on my gear in So Cal before, and as long as you remember to break it off your legs before coming to a stop it's not so bad. One thing I did notice was it actually got a bit warmer as the ice built up, and it was impossible to open my shield until I deiced it with cold tap water. At the time I was using a surplus pilot's oxygen mask to prevent misting of the shield. Worked like a charm. If I remember correctly HJC makes something similar for snowmobile use, and it's relatively inexpensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Cuz he's a MAN and doesn't hide in SoCal.

It's Southern California, not Tahiti! It does get cold enough to almost make me take a car instead of riding.

That's almost.
Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #13 of 21 Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

If I knew it would never get cold enough to freeze I would ride EVERY day, rain or shine.

The problem I have riding here, is I never know if it's going to rain half way through the day, and then freeze on me and leave me stranded at work...

So I can only go on quick jaunts where I can get back before the weather turns.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #14 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 AM
Hastatus Prior

I have the pinlock insert and have never had fog issues ever. Only works with the pinlock ready shields though obviously.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #15 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
If I knew it would never get cold enough to freeze I would ride EVERY day, rain or shine.

The problem I have riding here, is I never know if it's going to rain half way through the day, and then freeze on me and leave me stranded at work...

So I can only go on quick jaunts where I can get back before the weather turns.
you can ride in the ice, my dad had to do it years ago(only veh.)...it just takes forever when the throttle freezes and your brand new 71 cb500 will only rev to 1200rpm.lol

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #16 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

this stuff works as advertised!
covers scratches and stops fog very well

https://www.zooke.com/

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #17 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
you can ride in the ice, my dad had to do it years ago(only veh.)...it just takes forever when the throttle freezes and your brand new 71 cb500 will only rev to 1200rpm.lol
You've apparently never seen how fast street tires slip out from under a person riding on ice

I have. ....was not pretty.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #18 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzwilliam
I just smear some dish soap on the inside of my visor and eyeglasses, and then buff it with a microfiber towel. Using this method you're usually set against fog for about 2-4 days between applications. If your in a pinch while on the road, spit works well in the short term.
Nice. This reminds me of my hockey playing days,I played goal. Anyways the guys with the plastic shields would use shampoo,then buff it off with a towel. Seemed to work well for them.
I only wear my ff when is cold out,otherwise I wear my dot lid and shades. A ff just doesn't look right when your hanging off a Harley.

post #19 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it

You've apparently never seen how fast street tires slip out from under a person riding on ice

I have. ....was not pretty.
Ha. Yup. This December I rode my bike in from my girls which is 30 miles from my place in the city,with about 10 miles of gravel road.
I saw the ice ahead of me and knew if I throttled it the tire would spin and if I let off the engine braking would cause a slide too. I tried just to keep torque consistent. In the end I still wiped it out.
I wasn't going fast,maybe 20 mph. Bike went down then the peg scraped then stuck in the ice,bike was doing pirouettes. It looked kinda funny actually. No bike damage,thank god. Harley parts are expensive. I ended up shredding my overalls,thru 2 layers,my long johns didn't rip though. Seriously bruised butt.
Live and learn

post #20 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddin Rubber View Post
A ff just doesn't look right when your hanging off a Harley.
neither does hanging off a harley....

post #21 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddin Rubber View Post
Ha. Yup. This December I rode my bike in from my girls which is 30 miles from my place in the city,with about 10 miles of gravel road.
I saw the ice ahead of me and knew if I throttled it the tire would spin and if I let off the engine braking would cause a slide too. I tried just to keep torque consistent. In the end I still wiped it out.
I wasn't going fast,maybe 20 mph. Bike went down then the peg scraped then stuck in the ice,bike was doing pirouettes. It looked kinda funny actually. No bike damage,thank god. Harley parts are expensive. I ended up shredding my overalls,thru 2 layers,my long johns didn't rip though. Seriously bruised butt.
Live and learn
One trick to riding in slippery conditions (applies to cages, too) is to keep it in a higher gear, especially on torquey motors.

But even on my xr600r with a full knobby, it is SNOT on straight ice. I've only had my 9'er on ice two or three times, and I was butt-puckering the entire time.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode