Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Alpinestars GP Plus R Perforated Jacket Vs ICON OVERLORD PRIME HERO JACKET

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  gibbonater 
#1 ·
I am relatively new to riding and wanting to get a leather jacket. I have these two picked out and not sure which to purchase (Alpinestars GP Plus R Perforated Jacket & ICON OVERLORD PRIME HERO JACKET)? Any suggestions.....

I ride a '06 919 looking to commute to work daily.

#4 ·
I really like my GP Plus. I have the earlier version. Here in Pennsylvania the weather gets hot and humid in the summer, so the perforated jacket is great for that. A good leather jacket should last you a life time, granted it doesn't sustain heavy damage in a fall.

I use mine to commute to work.

#7 ·
I've been eyeing that A* jacket too but it's a warm, dry weather only jacket. I have a non perforated leather jacket with a zip-in insulated liner and it's handled the winter (dry) weather just fine if I wear something around my neck. It's acceptable now but some summer duds would be welcome.

#8 · (Edited)
I just bought a new non-perf version of the GP , and I love it so far. It fits really, really well and feels like much more money than it costs. I know it's summertime, and I ride in the desert, but I hate being cold much more than being hot, so no perf is the version for me.

So many compliments on this jacket...

#12 · (Edited)
If you intend on doing any kind of riding in the rain for your commute you really should look more at touring jackets instead of leathers. The leathers don't like getting wet to much.

Forgot to add: I have an older icon perforated leather jacket that I absolutely love. Wasn't cheap at the time but well worth the investment.

Some icon lines are just cheap stuff riding the icon brand so be sure to check internet reviews.

#15 ·
I should mention that both of these jackets also have the zipper for the pants, and I've used both jackets with the set of pants I also picked up. It sure is more comfy riding with an extra layer on the legs, even in the heat!

#17 ·
Man, you must have quite the dilemma when picking riding gear then, haha.

I have a black leather perforated GP- Plus and an SMX Air Flo jacket

GP Plus:

SMX Air Flo:

The Air Flo I got from some guy for $200 when I think it was worth $600 or something back when it was new. Unfortunately, it's a bit big on me. It does have a thermal, water proof lining on it, which is very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.