AGV Blade 3/4 helmet - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

AGV Blade 3/4 helmet

So, I just got a 3/4 helmet for the first time in 15 years. The only other one I had was the quite nasty one that came with the first bike that I purchased, and I pretty much immediately bought a full face Shoei. I currently have a EXO 1000. I really like the EXO, except that it gets quite uncomfortable for me on longer rides. One of the main reasons that I bought it was for the cheek pad adjustment pump, but alas, apparently my face is weird, and I have never used the pump to adjust it and still the cheek/jaw area is tight. The EXO makes me make a fish face, which doesn't bother me for shorter rides, but after a longer ride (4+ hours) it is annoying and a little painful after a long time, actually makes my jaw ache and teeth feel like I'm wearing braces. It felt like the right size when I bought it, nice and snug, I never would have known from a test fit in the shop that it would make my face hurt after a long time.

I was looking at other full face helmets because I'm going on a long trip in a couple weeks, and I did not want to succumb to the urge to tear my face off halfway through. Then I came across the AGV Blade at a particularly good price. Didn't jump on it right away, because first I had to answer the question of whether I really wanted a helmet that was less protective. Anyway, ended up going for it, and just wanted to post my opinion of this helmet. Before I do that, yes, I know that if I wreck, I'll grind my jaw off down to the roots of my teeth, so no need to remind me of that. I still will be using my full face 95% of the time (and yes, I know that it's that 5% when I will grind my jaw off).

So, about the helmet. This thing is pretty sweet!

Pros:
- Extremely comfortable. Probably any 3/4 would be coming from a full face.
- Easier to hear. The niner sounds so sweet!
- So much cooler than the EXO. I never found the EXO 1000 to have very good ventilation, the two top vents don't seem to do much, and the visor only cracks a tiny bit, or a huge bit. Even with it being much more open, the vents actually seem to work well too. I can tell the difference between open and closed which was always hard to tell with the EXO.
- No peripheral vision restriction. I hadn't ever really found the peripheral vision on a full face to be a restriction...that's why we have necks, so we can turn to look at stuff. However, this helmet gives a completely unrestricted view. Even the bottom of the face shield is below my peripheral, so when it's bugless, it is just a perfectly clear view of what's around me.
- Stable. At highway speeds, this helmet does not budge or pull.
- Seems to be well made. No creaks or noises at speed. The chin strap is comfortable and has a toothed clip that is easier to attach than a D-buckle strap.
- Good looking. (Italian designed, so I guess that's a given) One of the only 3/4 helmets I've seen that doesn't look out of place on a naked/sports bike. I put this one last because I never take style into consideration when buying protective gear, but in this case, it happens to be a damn fine looking helmet! It might inspire a potential future paint job on the niner...

Cons:
- First and foremost, less safe than a full face.
- Louder. The "easier to hear" benefit at lower speeds translates into much more wind noises at higher speeds. I wore earplugs in my EXO when on long trips, and I will definitely be doing the same with this, and probably even on shorter trips.
- Rain will suck. Haven't gotten caught in rain yet, but I'm guessing my chin and neck will hate it.
- Bugs will suck. See above.

All in all, I really love this helmet, and just wish that it was as protective, so I could be comfortable wearing it 100% of the time. I would recommend trying it out to someone looking for a 3/4. Here are a few pics of it. What do you think of that paint scheme on a niner. I think it would look pretty sweet, except maybe in reverse. Matte white with matte green stripes.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

That a cool looking helmet. I have thought it would be nice to have a 3/4 helmet especially in hot weather, but the full face isn't too bad as long as you are moving. Maybe a good compromise would be a flip up transformer type helmet like the EXO-900. I would have to find another brand though because Scorpions dont hit my head too well.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-04-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
That a cool looking helmet. I have thought it would be nice to have a 3/4 helmet especially in hot weather, but the full face isn't too bad as long as you are moving. Maybe a good compromise would be a flip up transformer type helmet like the EXO-900. I would have to find another brand though because Scorpions dont hit my head too well.
Based on my current experience with Scorpion, I don't think I would get another one just based on fit. I like the flip-up idea, but most of the quality ones seem to be pretty pricey. The ultimate flip-up that I've found is the Shark Evoline 2. It is $400+ though so not exactly what I was looking for, but it looks awesome.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking

post #4 of 11 Old 07-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelnick View Post
Based on my current experience with Scorpion, I don't think I would get another one just based on fit. I like the flip-up idea, but most of the quality ones seem to be pretty pricey. The ultimate flip-up that I've found is the Shark Evoline 2. It is $400+ though so not exactly what I was looking for, but it looks awesome.
I have a Scorpion EXO-700. It's a very high quality helmet, but it puts major pressure on my forehead. So much that it gives me a headache after an hour or so. I think it's just the wrong shape for my head.

post #5 of 11 Old 07-04-2012, 05:48 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I've been wearing a Shoei Multitech since I got back into motorcycling in 2009. it protected me well when I got turfed into the pavement back in October, and that helmet only aquired some scratches (which I believ add character) and so I still continue to wear that helmet. MY insurance pay-off included a brand new multitech to replace it, which is now my spare helmet...

for my next helmet purchase, I'd like to buy a Roof Boxer helmet, which is also a flip-up, but has a very distinctive and (to me) cool looking design.

I'm pretty well hooked on the utility of modular flip-up helmets, and can't remember how I functioned before having one. I did briefly have a Scorpion EXO-700 helmet, that was very well made, but I had the same squeezed duck face thing happen to me as what Cmelnik was describing. it was highly uncomfortable after just 15-20 miles, so that helmet had to go. Scorpion helmets are known to have a much more pronounced "arai" profile rather than a round headed "Shoei" profile.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #6 of 11 Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I've been wearing a Shoei Multitech since I got back into motorcycling in 2009. it protected me well when I got turfed into the pavement back in October, and that helmet only aquired some scratches (which I believ add character) and so I still continue to wear that helmet. MY insurance pay-off included a brand new multitech to replace it, which is now my spare helmet...

for my next helmet purchase, I'd like to buy a Roof Boxer helmet, which is also a flip-up, but has a very distinctive and (to me) cool looking design.

I'm pretty well hooked on the utility of modular flip-up helmets, and can't remember how I functioned before having one. I did briefly have a Scorpion EXO-700 helmet, that was very well made, but I had the same squeezed duck face thing happen to me as what Cmelnik was describing. it was highly uncomfortable after just 15-20 miles, so that helmet had to go. Scorpion helmets are known to have a much more pronounced "arai" profile rather than a round headed "Shoei" profile.
That Roof helmet is pretty cool looking. I may have to go back to Shoei...my last one fit really well.

Check this thing out!
IRON MAN MK VI Custom Motorcycle helmet (with L.E.D.s and sound) - YouTube

- Stephen Hawking
post #7 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Not trying to rain on your parade, but full face for me, all the time. I don't care if it's 120 degrees.

Honda Rebel 125 250 450 • View topic - Looking for helmets

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #8 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Hastatus Prior

^^^yes this.

I'm always on my dad's case about his little brain bucket. He did at least finally get a real DOT helmet. He rode with one for a long while that was just a thin shell with a fake sticker.

If it's too hot for my mesh jacket, jeans, and a full face helmet I won't ride.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #9 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Full helmet or bust, pun intended. Here's a diagram of impact areas and their percentages during motorcycle crashes (source: Source: Dietmar Otte, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Abteilung Verkehrsunfallforschung, Germany)

In a game of probability, you're choosing to only offer about 60% probable protection to your noggin by not having coverage in your chin area. Now this is with a decent 3/4. With a 1/2 helmet or shell-style, the only person you're doing a favor to is your traffic lawyer.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #10 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

If it's that hot out, get a bandana and soak it with ice water then wrap that around your neck. If it gets really bad out, soak the top half of your shirt and open your jacket vents. Keep a spare shirt for when the sun goes down though, temps drop real fast.

Flip ups are real convenient: smoke, drink, talk without having to take off your lid. But I've yet to see one that weighs the same as a non-flip up. All the extra hardware makes them heavy!

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #11 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Not trying to rain on your parade, but full face for me, all the time. I don't care if it's 120 degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Full helmet or bust, pun intended. Here's a diagram of impact areas and their percentages during motorcycle crashes.
Don't worry, I don't mind a little rain, and those are all good points you guys made. Like I alluded to, I am personally well aware of the additional risk of a 3/4 helmet. Been riding for 15 years, and my ex-wife worked at a trauma rehab hospital where she treated many motorcycle accident victims that ranged from stunters running into telephone poles to Harley riders riding 2-up who took their helmets off just over the no-helmet state line, and only 10 miles in, a tire blew and they bit it. And I have seen the same percentage diagrams that andrew posted, but it's always good to post it again and talk about the risks for people that haven't been exposed. I definitely am not trying to convince people that they should get a 3/4 if they are not comfortable with the additional risk. Where I'm at right now, the 10% of the time that I will be riding with it vs a full face, I am comfortable with the additional risk, but I understand that there are others who much more wisely than I, do not accept that risk.

Thanks for the comments all!

- Stephen Hawking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode