Aerostich or Fieldsheer? (WIM, Help!) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Aerostich or Fieldsheer? (WIM, Help!)

I am looking at buying either an Aerostich Roadcrafter or the Fieldsheer Highland 2 suit. I was wondering if anyone has used the Fieldsheer, and if so, does it compare in quality to the Roadcrafter? I am looking to buy something that will last for awhile, and I know that Aerostich makes a quality, long-lasting product, but looking at the Fieldsheer, I am wondering if I am paying more for a name. Any thoughts?

Oh yeah...
Fieldsheer $327.00
Aerostich $720.00

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Aerostich is the standard.

Fieldsheer is the value.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

I've been told that the Fieldsheer Highland II suit is no longer in production and availability may be spotty.

Save your coin - get the 'Stich!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

post #4 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Stich is quality, and if I had the extra moola, it would be hanging in my garage. The Stich suits use actual Gore-Tex material, whereas the Fieldsheer uses their own version. Fieldsheer's version is good, but not perfect.

post #5 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

I had read in an article last night that Aerostich patent must have run out, because many companies were making reasonable copies of the Aerostich suits. Fieldsheer was one of the ones mentioned, but they did not elaborate on the differences. I am pretty much decided on the Aerostich, but wanted to make sure there was not a high-quality, less-expensive alternative that I was not aware of.

-Joe
post #6 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Fieldsheer is a good compromise. Aero is the product you ultimately want.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #7 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Hooker - They all answered the questions you had. The Stitch is the standard from what I have learnt as well.

I may be wrong, but can't Jet get a stitch for you?

post #8 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

I've heard a lot of good about the Stich service and repair long after the sale. It's the one for the long haul for sure.

post #9 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

I can't get aerostich and wouldn't even if I could. It is long perceived as a standard but there are other options that blow aerostich away.

Fieldsheer is one option, it's a much lower price but does what you need it to do.

Fieldsheer Adventure Jacket uses 1000 denier fabric
Aerostich Darien Lite uses 160 denier fabric. Not a typo, that's one six zero.
Aerostich Darien Regular uses 500 denier, half of what Fieldsheer uses on a jacket they charge $100 less than aerostich does.
Aerostich doesn't even tell you what the Falstaff jacket is made from except to call it "waxed cotton" - what the hell is waxed cotton?
On the roadcraft Aerostich uses 1050 denier in the shoulders, elbows, forearms, knees and shins. For a lot more money.

Fieldsheer isn't a bad product but it's not a custom tailored fit like Aerostich. It just gets a little old for the name Aerostich to be thrown around like it's the cat's ass.

Alternatives? Sure - www.lookwellusa.com - check out the Woodland.
Money no object? Then look at http://www.motoport.com kevlar. That is badass stuff.

post #10 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Money no object? Then look at http://www.motoport.com kevlar. That is badass stuff.
Yeah, a lot of guys on advrider.com recommend that stuff, if money is no object. Most of them stick by the Aerostich. I read quite a few stories about guys walking away from wrecks with broken bones but no road rash.

-Joe
post #11 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

I just looked at the Woodland...nice jacket, definitely would survive a slide, if the stitching is good. Too bad it doesn't zip into a pair of pants. If it had matching pants with full zips, I would definitely be interested.

-Joe
post #12 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

yep, I'm on advrider.com also. There are a lot of parrots there who like to echo each other and a few really good technically smart & helpful guys there. Jim VonBaden's step by step on OVAD was great.

I did a fair amount of online research and the more I looked, the more dissatisfied I became with aerostich.

Specifically the first thing that turned me off was the lack of ventilation. The roadcrafter could be compared to a portable human oven (especially in Florida) and the Darien, while it breathed better lacked the sturdier fabric.

Just personal opinion, not trying to step on anyone's toes, it's just how I feel about it. All told, I'm always one bonus check away from being measured up for some motoport goodies - but when the wife takes that check away I settle with the Fieldsheer Adventure and go on my way.

post #13 of 22 Old 01-11-2007, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
Specifically the first thing that turned me off was the lack of ventilation. The roadcrafter could be compared to a portable human oven (especially in Florida) and the Darien, while it breathed better lacked the sturdier fabric.

Just personal opinion, not trying to step on anyone's toes, it's just how I feel about it. All told, I'm always one bonus check away from being measured up for some motoport goodies - but when the wife takes that check away I settle with the Fieldsheer Adventure and go on my way.
Jet, do you have any experience with the Adventure pants?

-Joe
post #14 of 22 Old 01-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Yes, I wear them everyday.

post #15 of 22 Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Okay, I should have been more specific. They attach to jacket, of course. Any issues with the wear, like pulling up you butt, wedgie style? What about venting? I noticed they do not have full length zips, but I am a little worried about no way to vent.

-Joe
post #16 of 22 Old 01-11-2007, 12:43 PM

ive got fieldsheer hear and its awesome....great stuff

post #17 of 22 Old 01-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

The adventure pants do have a stretch panel on the rear of the thigh that allows air to flow pretty well. Both Hondaf4iguy, and I have the adventure pants along with Jet. My only change would be a full length zipper on the legs.

post #18 of 22 Old 01-11-2007, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Do you wear them over your work clothes, such as jeans, slacks, etc.? If so, did you have to order a larger size than what the size chart showed for you?

-Joe
post #19 of 22 Old 01-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Yes, yes, and ask f4iguy about the sizing.

post #20 of 22 Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

sorry I didn't elaborate more, crazy day at work.
Yes, the ADV pants zip together with the jacket. The pants are adjustable but not ventilated. Without the liner inserted it's not bad but I know I'll want more airflow in the dead of summer. Though everything is a tradeoff so I'll live with it.

Yes, I've worn slacks under the pants without the liner. With the liner installed it does a good job keeping me warm down to about 35 degrees which is the coldest we've gotten. Sure, you're still cold but it does the job as I expected it to.

post #21 of 22 Old 01-11-2007, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the info everybody. I appreciate the help.

-Joe
post #22 of 22 Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 AM
jeff06

I purchased the Fieldsheer Hydrotour jacket in august. It has been a great buy. Lots of pockets for gear. After you get used to the armor in the jacket, it is very comfortable.I haver ridden in 95+ degrees and 40 degree weather. I had no comfort problems. It seems very well made.I also agree that Aerostich is the standard,been around for 15-20 years at least. However I believe that for the dollar you would do well with the Fieldsheer products. I also purchased "Slider jeans". Found them very comfortable but baggy.Because of the kevlar inserts they are fairly warm in my cold rides.I reccomend them also.I should also add That I got the jacket for around $180 and the Slider's for about $80.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode