Active Jacket Cooler - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2006, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

Active Jacket Cooler

OK I've gotta run this idea by some one

as it's been inmy head for months,,
As i run a fabrication shop, and always end up changing things regardless if needed, I've been building a sort of chiller system for cars using some high powered TEC modules,, (thermo electric couplings) These are small chips, that when power is applied, one side gets freezing, the other hot... used in computer over-clocking and so on..

I was thinking about using some of that capiliary tubing, 2, much lower wattage tec units, and that foil blister pod pack stuff,(can't think of the name,, its pretty tough) and a very small pump,,, all together the pump, tecs and heat sinks would be on a belt setup, or something, the pump in mind is roughly an inch, by half inch, the tec units each are roughly an inch square and flat, with exception to heat sinks, which would stand off roughly 1/4 inch..... so small stuff!!

running the capiliary tubes through the jacket, to the pods in areas that the natural body cooling points are, inside arm near elbow, around each flank, or sides... then recirculating obviously,, using just filtered water, in case of a rupture by wrecking (don't want antifreeze all over)

The Tec units can cool the water down to as i figure 60-65 degrees, under load... after full cycling... heat removal would have to be from 2 heat sinks,, mounted,,, well, somewhere that there is armor beneath, as landing on one would not be fun...

Power as i figure could be in from a battery pack, which would be.... at load and full duty cycle... 2.5-4 hours ,, said battery pack is roughly 4 inches, by 1" or possibly a quick release coupling that could be ran off the bike?
But, i think this would be a pretty damn good idea, or,, at least an interesting prospect.

Also, a bonus would be that in the winter... reversing the TEC units would heat the coolant... er.. water...

So i put it to you all, any ideas, or anything, as I just might build this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-20-2006, 08:59 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

That sounds like a very interesting concept, I think it warrants at least a mock up/trial to test its effectiveness. Good luck!

post #3 of 9 Old 08-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Removed User 1

I would like to try it.... If you need a test subject.... I think you can start with water but you may want to investage better heat transfer liquids. I was thinking of a cooled gel seat cover.

http://www.multitherm.com/multitherm-pg-1.html

post #4 of 9 Old 08-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

sounds pretty intersting. I searched online beofre to see what i could find to keep me cool or warm. I would try it out.

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #5 of 9 Old 08-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Water is about the most effecient refrigerant you can get. It's been used in absorption cooling for years.

I'm waiting for helmet cooling. This would get rid of the most heat, and could be used to heat also from the same type of application.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 9 Old 08-20-2006, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

I ve been running some specs and such on the pump and the TECs I think, just due to flow rate that it might be better just to run 3 networks of capillary tubing, up and down the arms, and sides... those foil pack things are great, but, it would add volume, and thus weight... Ethe tubing would be more resiliant, but not transfer heat as well.. but even if you could get a 5-10 degree difference, it would feel like the world... still checking into it.

as far as helmets go, i wanted to do that, simply glass in on the outside the heat sink for the tec, and using a non-flowing system, to wrap around the forhead, working on simple convection. but i htink the bulk might be too much... this is only as i already tried the radar detector mounted in the helmet.... too bulky,,, well, for not spenidng much money and a beater helm.

Thanks for the input guys!!

post #7 of 9 Old 08-21-2006, 04:57 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

you know Florida heat. Anything that makes sitting in traffic more comfortable I'm willing to play along.

post #8 of 9 Old 08-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

There was an air-conditioned helmet out of Europe a few years ago (back when dirt was still rocks), but it seemed like nobody wanted to ride around with an aluminum radiator on top of their bean.

The water jacket idea sound a lot like a cool pack like used in physio. That setup's a lot bigger though.

post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2006, 08:03 PM
xmatt2strokex

I know they're working on a similiar system for our body armour. In fact, my buddy's a chinook crewchief, and says they're already trying it...and it's not working so great. So if you could do a better job, you could probably be staring down a pretty good paycheck!

m.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode