18.50 for a helmet on e-bay? others high bids at 1 cent! LOL - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 03-28-2009, 07:18 AM
hairball919

18.50 for a helmet on e-bay? others high bids at 1 cent! LOL

I couldn't help but notice the little banner ad that keeps appearing on the left side of the page when I'm in the pnwriders forum.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ECE-D...1%7C240%3A1318

I just had to click on it to see the catch. The catch? This beautiful flip-up helmet's $18.50 bid is the highest of only 2 bids as of the time I posted this (3/28/09 at 6:40am), the seller has only sold 8 items in the past, and the seller is in Hong Kong. The helmets are not Snell approved, but they claim to be DOT and "ECE" (whatever that is!) approved. $34 for shipping!! (Isn't that like DOUBLE OR TRIPLE what most online retailers charge for shipping helmets?). No freakin' wonder the highest bid is only $18.50 just 6 hours before the end time! Heck, the first bid was only $18. I'd be totally embarassed to tell anyone I bought an $18 helmet online from Hong Kong! Hey, if you really want a good deal, the high bids on this sellers other helmets is only a penny! That's right, 01 cent! Oh wait, there's one ending in 3 hours that's up to... 11 cents!!!

Lovely. I want one! Oh, heck, I'll take a case of 'em! Gimme 1 at $18.50 and 3 at 11 cents, plus 5 of the 1 cent ones!

Hell, I thought paying $139 for an HJC was a rip-off because it was such a cheaply made helmet with practically no ventilation or features. But the day I picked up my bike from the showroom I just needed a helmet to get me by until I could find the Shoei I wanted for less than the $375 + tax the dealer wanted (got it online for $300 total with free shipping). Geez, if anyone would be stupid enough to buy a helmet that can barely get a bid close to $20 obviously doesn't have a whole lot of brain cells to protect in the first place! Hell, why even wear a helmet?

Yes, I also posted this on the other forum. First reply was "who cares how cheap the price is if it protects your noggin?" Seriously, would YOU consider buying a helmet that cheap that doesn't even have a brand name?

I mean, maybe if it was one of these brands, I might think about it...
•Answer
•Arai
•Bell
•EVS
•HJC
•Icon
•Joe Rocket
•KBC
•Nolan
•O'Neal
•Scorpion
•Shark
•Shoei
•Tourmaster
•Suomy

But NO BRAND NAME? I think I'd pass even if it was 5 cents plus only $1 shipping. And apparently the majority of others who looked at the e-bay post agree since the high bids on most of the seller's helmets are less than a nickel. This might explain why the seller has only sold 8 others since he joined e-bay on January 13th.

I just sent the seller a question: "Is there a brand name for this helmet?" (I'll post the respone.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

post #3 of 4 Old 03-28-2009, 08:06 AM
hairball919

Hey, you make big bucks at your job, you should spring for one of the 11 cent ones!

post #4 of 4 Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 AM
hairball919

Sent a question to the seller asking the brand name of the helmets he was selling. I couldn't believe my eyes when he replied in CHINESE!!! I guess he didn't want me to know!

Oh well, I just got a kick out of the fact that you could buy flip-face helmets for under twenty bucks.

I'll keep my Shoei.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode