1 piece or 2 piece suit? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Discen

1 piece or 2 piece suit?

I am thinking about buying a full leather suit as a christmas present to myself. The one i have in mind is the alpinestars carver, but wanted to ask some advice before pulling the trigger. I am really hoping to start getting at track days in this year and a trip or two to the smokies or maybe even out west. I am thinking about the two piece because of the ability to just wear the jacket for my short daily rides, but i do already have a pretty nice textile jacket so its not necessary. My main question is will there be issues getting onto a track with two piece suit? Also does anyone with this suit have any feedback for me? Lastly can someone with the suit tell me how the sizes run? If im on the cusp of 2 sizes should i go up or down?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 12:13 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

As long as the 2pc has a full 360 zip and not just the back, you should be ok for most tracks. Size your suit WITH a chest protector on. They usually attach to the straps of back protectors. Or better yet, get a vest armor with both. Try to get level 2 when getting armor

Full racing, 1pc.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

1 pc for sure. Just get a set of riding pants to go with your jacket and you are set. You can get nice pants for around $100 with CE armor and all.
Buy them from a store that has some sort of return/exchange policy. Maybe a few extra $$ but this way you can actually make sure it fits right.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 12:26 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I'd be hesitant doing a long distance run on a 1pc as well. If you can get a 1pc for the track and pants for the street, that'd be ideal.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I have the 2pc Carver. Absolutely love it. Used it at the last (and only, so far) track day. It worked great! And it was a lot easier to take a dump with.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 04:31 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
I have the 2pc Carver. Absolutely love it. Used it at the last (and only, so far) track day. It worked great! And it was a lot easier to take a dump with.

Oh yea, last track day I was served an undercooked burger despite taking it back once to get it thrown back on the grill. is what happened. 2pc pants wasn't easy to get off with SiDi boots, can't imagine what would've happened if I were in a 1pc.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #7 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Tirone

this reminds me of having the hershey-squirts in a onepeice ski suite in sweden.. learned my lesson early

post #8 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Immune

I've done about 1/2 a dozen track days with a hand me down 2 piece suit, and I'll definitely be going one piece next time around. I don't ever take advantage of the 2 piece option any-ways, I just peel off the top and let it hang behind me, like some sort of funky cape... (just like the guys with one piece suits do) I'm not going to wear the same suit on the street that I would the track, because the demands are entirely different. I cant begin imagine riding on the street like I do the track (primarily because I really suck on the track...) It probably seems like a good idea to get some gear that will cover both situations, but I think in reality it doesn't pan out so well.

You are going to want a track suit to protect you and fit snug while in an aggressive posture for about 20 minutes, and you don't need to carry your wallet, ID, cell phone etc etc in your track suit.

post #9 of 11 Old 12-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Cornicen

It's hot as hell, but I I opted for a 1-pc for the occasional track and weekend street rides. Started with a 2-pc and eventually traded-up to a 1-pc. for better fit & protection. Upon thinking, I wanted the suit for maximum protection, & that trumped the convenience of the two-piece. Used as just a jacket, the top half of a 2-pc didn't offer as much abrasion protection on the lower back as I wanted as it felt a tad short.

post #10 of 11 Old 12-24-2012, 06:38 AM
What is Tirone?

I also have the Carver 2pc suit. This is a great suit for my needs. I can wear the jacket only on week days commuting back and forth from work, and still be able to zip the pants on for a weekend blast or track days. The fit is good (better than some of the 1pc suits I tried on), and the versitility is great. I only have two complaints: the suit offers too much ventilation for the majority of weather here in oregon, and I get chilly in the mornings/evenings. 2) the mesh liner on the interior seems cheap.

post #11 of 11 Old 12-24-2012, 07:56 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1

Oh yea, last track day I was served an undercooked burger despite taking it back once to get it thrown back on the grill. is what happened. 2pc pants wasn't easy to get off with SiDi boots, can't imagine what would've happened if I were in a 1pc.
Yeah, 1pc you have no choice but streaking. Rmb or Doc can confirm how at one of our group rides jfslater98 was sporting his boxers and riding boots during the lunch brake yes, he got some looks but who cares

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...1-a-26827.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode