Yet another Newbie with a serious question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 10-02-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Question Yet another Newbie with a serious question

Returning to riding after 32 years

Rode a 1971 Honda CB-350 every day for work and pleasure from 1971-4

Because of job new kids, etc had to give up bike

Just happened upon a really nice 1996 Honda 750 Nighthawk with 20k miles and bought it on the spot. Have ridden it about 600 miles in last 30 days and am happy with it as a commuter, around the town bike, but notice it is a little buzzy at 4-5000 rpm, which in 5th gear is 65-80 on interstate. Have put a Corbin seat on it and it has a Plexistar 2 farring/winshield on it. Am now regaining my riding skills and looking at the 919 as a future purchase. Will give the Nighthawk to my son, should he prove worthy

Question: How would you describe the vibration level of the 919 at highway speeds? I have been under the impression that an inline 4 should be smoother than a V-twin. Can you compare the 919 with other bikes your have owned/ridden? Will appreciate any info on the subject of vibration

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-02-2006, 08:19 PM
tomvan72

Havving owned 2 twins, the 9 is super smooth. If I fell any vibrations in the bars it reminds me of the Isreal type. Actually, my nine is smoother than a twin idling in the drive way for sure. I just rode a sv650 and there is no compairing it at all. Not that you are, but that's all

post #3 of 15 Old 10-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

The 919 is very smooth(after you get used to the touchy throttle) a lot like the nighthawk with so much more on tapp.

Inlines are buzy always have been...there are many ways around this.Different bars/gears/grips...

I found my 919 a bit much at 65-70 vibe wise went with a 17/44 gear combo(16/43 is stock) and it fixed it for me.I hear bar snakes work well also.

post #4 of 15 Old 10-03-2006, 04:18 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Welcome aboard... I remember that CB-350 very well, it was my first Japanese bike. Vibration with the 919 has been a issue for some especially at highway speeds. There are gearing and handlebar modifications that will reduce but not eliminate these vibes. BTW: don't sell the big twins short, many of them are oh so smooth unless you are referring to HD.

post #5 of 15 Old 10-03-2006, 05:02 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I'm one of the folks that aren't sensitive to highway speed vibrations. I was prepared to get a set of Renthal Ultra Lows, but I can zip along at 55-70 for hours without any problem and without getting numb hands. YMMV

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Unbannable

I have no problem with the vibes. They come through my bike the most at the tank. I ride with my legs not touching the tank so there's no problem, but if you're a really big fat guy and your legs have to touch then you might be annoyed.

post #7 of 15 Old 10-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Youse guys are just trying to convert another guy to a 919

tell the truth all you guys have upgraded to some type of after market bars for the cool look of course

Mine buzzes at highway speeds 65-80 if i sustain that for 1-3 hrs I have to take a break for numbness and tingling and I have new bars on my list of mods to do eventually for looks

post #8 of 15 Old 10-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I own a V-twin and the 9er. Vibes are more on the twin, but I kinda like it actually. Feels powerful, and my crotch likes a good shaking.

9er isn't bad as far as vibratrion IMO either. I went to aftermarket bars and switched back to the stockers. I like em. Probably one of the few who does. You can put some serious miles on with stock or aftermarket. The thing I liked about the Renthals I had on the 9er was leverage. Wider bars were easier to turn in. I went back because I liked the fit/position of the stock bars.

I do notice my GPS shaking like a dog sh!ttin' peach seeds at idle. Above that it is fine for most situations.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 15 Old 10-03-2006, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. Seems the jury is out on this subject (vibration)
Maybe I should be looking at an ST1300. Guess I might be cast out of the forum for a though like this

post #10 of 15 Old 10-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Feels powerful, and my crotch likes a good shaking.
Is there a way to get that on the 919 might not have as many kids if i had a RC51 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I do notice my GPS shaking like a dog sh!ttin' peach seeds at idle. Above that it is fine for most situations.
never heard of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Go test drive one and you'll be hooked even if the buzz bothers you!! and then there's gel grips, gel padding in gloves, different bars and all that together you may not even notice it.

Quote:
Maybe I should be looking at an ST1300. Guess I might be cast out of the forum for a though like this
I believe there is a well known guy named hmm... WIM-RC51 that don't even have a bike.... but I hear he makes some killer gloves!! So you should be safe

post #11 of 15 Old 10-04-2006, 01:26 AM
919er

Awards Showcase
BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 2

The actual existence of such gloves became myth at the turn of the century...

Life's too short to put ugly chics on bikes
http://www.YourAutoWingman.com
post #12 of 15 Old 10-04-2006, 03:36 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
I think you'll be okay...I remember seeing pictures of someone's pink scooter on this forum...

-Joe
post #13 of 15 Old 10-04-2006, 05:05 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
I've heard great things about the ST.

post #14 of 15 Old 10-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
That's quite a jump, Nighthawk! I just came from an ST1300 that I logged about 14K on. Loved the bike. But it really can't be compared to a 9'er. Different tool for a different job. The ST is great for long 2-up touring. It pairs up nicely against the FJR, RT, and a couple others. It has a LOT of weather protection and a LOT more weight than a naked bike like the 919 (almost twice the weight). I found the ST to be as smooth as any bike I've ever ridden. Some would say that it's so smooth that it lacks character or soul. I traded in the ST because I was doing a lot less touring and almost no 2-up riding like I was when I bought it. It was overkill for me. And it's a lot of work to ride a big bike like that IMO.

Your best bet is to figure out what you want from a bike. Changing your radar from an 919 to an ST is a major flip-flop. Take some test rides. Feel the smooth torque of the V-4. Feel the raw horsepower of an IL4.

And, most of all, enjoy the ride!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-04-2006, 06:26 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I really dont have any vibe issues with my 9er, maybe I'm desensitized cuz I used to ride a HD, But I have ridden my bike from ND to CO, 9hours worth and only stopped for gas. The honda accessory windscreen makes a big diff for long ride comfort IMO, just needs to be painted black and it looks good too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode